• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Relive the Early Days of the Pokemon Card Game with Original Starter Pack

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I want that!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Bad luck to those who have a first edition deck. This will dilute its value quite a lot.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
omg! I miss them so much Sad Sadly, I gave all my pokemon cards to my brother..
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
They should do this for the US, too.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Bad luck to those who have a first edition deck. This will dilute its value quite a lot.

I doubt that. It seems that the cards wil have modern back designs (with classic one on the sleeves) introduced way back when VS and eCard sets were introduced.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Bad news for those that want to trade or sell their First Edition cards (since the value is going to drop a bit with more of them appearing) but good news for those that never got a chance to buy the Original Starter Pack. Smile
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I remember as a kid being confused as to what came first, the card game or the video game.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Of course, they're going to be useless if you bring them to a competition nowadays, as the Pokémon TCG has gone through some pretty major power creep since. Here's an example. Here is Mewtwo from the Base Set (who will be guaranteed to be part of this re-release, considering Mewtwo's enduring popularity:

And here is the most recently released version of Mewtwo, Mewtwo EX from Breakthrough:

Even staples like Rain Dance Blastoise and Energy Trans Venusaur have become obsolete due to Energy accelerators and Energy navigation abilities becoming more common in Generation IV and remaining that way. (And that Charizard was never useful to begin with.)
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so much a player as I am a collector. This is a Christmas present for sure but I'm interested if the designs will be exactly the same thing as when they were first released.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Just want to comment that this article is false. Pokebeach cleared it up only moments ago; nothing was ever said that Base Set cards will be reprinted. I suggest everyone take a read here.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Just want to comment that this article is false. Pokebeach cleared it up only moments ago; nothing was ever said that Base Set cards will be reprinted. I suggest everyone take a read here.

Thanks for pointing this out. Note that the article is not actually false, since it doesn't actually say that the Base Set would be re-released.

I do agree, however, that I'm being misleading. The original sources - Kai-You and the official website - use the terms 再現 (reappear) and 復刻 (reproduce), which led me to assume that the actual pack was being re-released. Neither source specifies anything about the actual cards within. It is true, though, that they refer to Pokemon XY Break, implying that that's the set it draws form.

It's a misleading way of reporting the story, and I apologize if anyone drew the natural conclusions from it, but I work from my sources and that's how they presented it.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
^ Oh whoops my mistake! Glad it got cleared it Very Happy
Adamanto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out. Note that the article is not actually false, since it doesn't actually say that the Base Set would be re-released.

I do agree, however, that I'm being misleading. The original sources - Kai-You and the official website - use the terms 再現 (reappear) and 復刻 (reproduce), which led me to assume that the actual pack was being re-released. Neither source specifies anything about the actual cards within. It is true, though, that they refer to Pokemon XY Break, implying that that's the set it draws form.

It's a misleading way of reporting the story, and I apologize if anyone drew the natural conclusions from it, but I work from my sources and that's how they presented it.

It's only misleading if you don't know what the Starter Pack was - a selection of 60 random cards plus a coin and a rule book. And that's exactly what they're releasing.

Of course the 60 random cards in this reissue are taken from the current set, which is also reflected in the name "Pocket Monsters Card Game XY Break Starter Pack", but that much should be obvious.

(I'm also not sure if the ANN article has been edited since it got posted, but there's nothing particularly misleading about the wording in it as it currently reads, so I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1