• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online: What makes it SEEM so bad?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Lobokendo wrote:
As for Aoi Yuuki in Overlord, I didn't even realize she was Clementine. She's such a talented voice actor. Currently she is also voicing Kayo in Boku Dake ga Inai Machi so if you're a fan of her work Dusky it is an excellent anime for the current season you might enjoy her in.

I watch exactly way too much anime, so of course I am watching that. I noted in the series topic that she sound like the voice she used for Fremy.

Trying to take this more on topic, lets also talk about Kirito's voice actor, Yoshitsuga matsuoka. He does some pretty good main character voices, and seems to recently been doing some characters that play off that by being creepy. Like when he voiced Shizuya Kirihara in Chivalry of a Failed Knight.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Matsuoka has a LOT of haters on myanimelist but I absolutely adore him. If he came to a con as a guest, I would spazz.

I find his voice very soothing to listen to (as Kirito) and very funny as Sora from NGNL.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I think him voicing Kirito is the main reason he's so hated.

But yeah, he does tend to play every lead male (when Kaji Yuuki isn't doing it) so he is a bit overexposed. But the guy does have a pretty impressive range.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote
Matsuoka can sound so dramatic and he can just generally put so much emotion into his voice. That's what I like about his role as Kirito because Kirito goes through all kinds of emotions. But yeah he can play a crazy villain pretty well as well. I wonder what the confontration between Kirito and Oberon inside ALO would be like if Matsuoka's and Takehito Koyasu's roles were reversed. xD
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:43 am Reply with quote
Matsuoka is definitely one of my favorite parts of SAO. I think he does an excellent job, and over exposure isn't really an issue when he has such a range.

Also, mentioning him in NGNL reminds me of an interesting coincidence in that role of his. With Matsuoka's co-star Ai Kayano, who respectively play Sora and Shiro in NGNL I noticed a similarity to another anime they are both also leads in. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo they both respectively play Sorata and Mashiro as the two main leads again.

Though to get back on topic again, what do people have against Matsuoka other than over exposure?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:31 am Reply with quote
Lobokendo wrote:
Also, mentioning him in NGNL reminds me of an interesting coincidence in that role of his. With Matsuoka's co-star Ai Kayano, who respectively play Sora and Shiro in NGNL I noticed a similarity to another anime they are both also leads in. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo they both respectively play Sorata and Mashiro as the two main leads again.

Well Sakurasou came first, and it really felt that they managed to pull their chemistry from Sakurasou and breathe it into NGNL. Also, a small role, but he had a pretty funny bit in season 3 of Working.

Another thought, I don't know if it has been covered yet, I think some people felt that Sword Art Online had the promise of the goal of reaching the top of Aincrad, but instead finished Aincrad at the 75th boss, with a sudden reveal and duel. I have seen the complaint, and I maybe understand why they might feel that way, but I think that there had been hints up till then pointing towards the idea of the creator being in the game, and Heathcliff could be that person.
Night fox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I have seen the complaint, and I maybe understand why they might feel that way, but I think that there had been hints up till then pointing towards the idea of the creator being in the game, and Heathcliff could be that person.

I assume most of the "hints" came from people who had already read the light novels and simply couldn't resist showing off/playing spoilsport? Rolling Eyes
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
Some would probably argue that what Heathcliff did in his duel with Kirito was the big hint. I don't remember anything else which specifically pointed in that direction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Another thought, I don't know if it has been covered yet, I think some people felt that Sword Art Online had the promise of the goal of reaching the top of Aincrad, but instead finished Aincrad at the 75th boss, with a sudden reveal and duel. I have seen the complaint, and I maybe understand why they might feel that way, but I think that there had been hints up till then pointing towards the idea of the creator being in the game, and Heathcliff could be that person.

I think that the anime (no idea how it goes in the novels) didn't use all the potential the Aincrad setting had to offer. There was a lot of interesting stuff that they could have explored or shown. I think that SAO rushed into the conclusion a bit too fast maybe. I'm also a bit annoyed that an extremely important event was left out from the first season that becomes a big deal in the 2nd season and that's the raid on the Laughing Coffin's base. Makes it seem like the whole thing was an afterthought to make Kirito connect with Sinon better.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Some would probably argue that what Heathcliff did in his duel with Kirito was the big hint. I don't remember anything else which specifically pointed in that direction.

Well, yeah. Plus as Kiritio says in the show, if someone was playing god, as a gamer it would be boring to just watch. And where else would it be better be than as the leader?

An interesting question, who here has been watching the abridged version of Sword Art Online? For those who do not know an abridged series is a fan made parody by using footage from the series with the point telling the story in a quicker format (not always as true as it used to be). Kirito is made out to be a total jerk. Laughing
Night fox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Kirito is made out to be a total jerk. Laughing

Sort of like: "Oh, I'm so sorry, Asuna, but I accidentally dropped the sandwich you made for me on the ground." *smirk* *tramples sandwich* ? Laughing
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Kirito is made out to be a total jerk. Laughing

Sort of like: "Oh, I'm so sorry, Asuna, but I accidentally dropped the sandwich you made for me on the ground." *smirk* *tramples sandwich* ? Laughing

No, but he laughs at her because she can't figure out how to open the menu. Anime hyper

Quote:
I'm also a bit annoyed that an extremely important event was left out from the first season that becomes a big deal in the 2nd season and that's the raid on the Laughing Coffin's base. Makes it seem like the whole thing was an afterthought to make Kirito connect with Sinon better.

I've seen others complain about this as well. It may have been an afterthought but I find it passable as Kirito just suppressing his memories of the incident until running into another Laughing Coffin member that would make it come flooding back.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I've seen others complain about this as well. It may have been an afterthought but I find it passable as Kirito just suppressing his memories of the incident until running into another Laughing Coffin member that would make it come flooding back.

It wasn't a massive problem for me, but I couldn't help but to think: "I don't remember that from the 1st season, huh". Phantom Bullet arc was still awesome. During the Aincrad arc I would have just been genuinely interested in a small story arc about finding Laughing Coffin's base, organizing the raid party, the attack, aftermath etc...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
It would have been great to get the full story on that scene, indeed.

Yeah, I love Phantom Bullet. I'm looking forward to watching it again with friends but I want to get the blu-rays and I can't right now because I'm poor. Anime cry
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
An inherent issue is that the first novel was written as stand alone. As a one-and-done. It's only later did the author go back and expand it. That's why some things don't quite gel right because they were made up after the fact, rather than hinted at first and expanded upon later.

Progressive has a leg up in that regard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15