• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buying Manga Bags and Manga Storage Boxes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The thing to keep in mind about most omnibus volumes is that they are the same height and width as normal they are usually just thicker.

Unfortunately there is no consistency in this.
The Viz omnibus volumes for Inuyasha are big in all dimensions.

The Dark Horse omnibus volumes for Cardcaptor Sakura and Clover are larger in all dimensions, but the Dark Horse volumes for Angelic Layer and Chobits are the same height and width as most manga.

All of my Seven Seas omnibus volumes seem to be the normal height and width.

As I was looking around I noticed that the old ADV Manga single volumes for Full Metal Panic are larger than most manga.
I guess that if you collect enough manga you are bound to get some odd sizes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
@Touma

Well, yes and no, it is a bit complicated.

Currently there are two primary sizes for manga in North America.

What most people think of as the standard size of about 7 1/4 inches by 5 inches. Though the height can vary from 7 inches (Seven Seas and some Vertical) to 7 1/2 for Yen and others. Both singles and omnibus volumes come out in this size.

The secondary size is about 8 1/4 inches by 5 3/4 inches. This is the size you are thinking of as Dark Horse's omnibus volumes but it is also used by most publishers for singles as well. Yen has Barakamon and Love at Fourteen, Viz has Gangster and Dogs (the Sig line basically) and Seven Seas has A Centaur's Life and The Sacred Blacksmith all in singles at this size. Viz has the Neon Genesis Evangelion at 8 1/2 high which is probably the size of the Inu Yasha omnibus volumes you mention. All the Dark Horse current publication I could find at this size were omnibus but they previously used it for singles. Also the Seven Seas Dance in the Vampire Bund has both singles and omnibus volumes at this size.

Basically if you collect a wide variety of current manga you have to be able to handle both sizes. Both will fit in a standard comic book box. In addition there are hardback manga from Yen, Fantagraphics and Viz in even larger sizes.

Historically both Dark Horse and CPM published manga graphic novels in US comic book size of 10 1/4 inches by 6 1/2 inches. Tokyo Pop initially used a smaller size of 6 3/4 by 4 1/2 (the TP version of Sailor Moon). Later during the boom everyone standardized to the 7 1/2 by 5 size but in the last few years the larger size came back for both omnibus and "special" series as noted above.

The Japanese language manga I have show similar variations in size. This is complicated by the fact that the Japanese use European paper sizes which effects the height/width ratio.

Confused yet? This doesn't even cover some of the odder printings.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45
What I see on my shelves here matches your description very well.
I actually have quite a few of those large CPM books.

The one that surprised me the most is volume 1 of Nausicaa from Viz, which is 10.25 x 7".
That is the only Viz book that I have in that size.*
Apparently Viz published 7 volumes of Nausicaa in that format, but I have only the first. I just discovered that there is also a release with two hard-bound volumes, of the same height and width, in a box. Amazon has it for $38. I am seriously considering buying it, though I am not sure where I will shelve it.

EDIT: *I was wrong. I also have Sexy Voice and Robo by Iou Kuroda in that size.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
@Touma

Well, Nausicca is special because, well, Miyazaki. Also, according to the encyclopedia, it was first published in the Animage Magazine. This means the art work was larger from the beginning. In addition to Nausicca in 2004 and Sexy Voice and Robo in 2005 they did Secret Comics Japan in 2000 in that size. They also did some other publications in this size such as a collection of Animerica interviews. I think that during the boom they experimented.

When I started all of the Viz graphic novels were 8 1/8 inches by 5 1/2 inches, just a slight bit smaller than most of Dark Horse's. They switched to the smaller standard size in about 2003. I think this was about the time that manga started showing up in book stores in addition to comic shops. I suspect the book stores requested the standard size.

Dark Horse has always been odd man out, in that, they have always used a variety of sizes. Blade of the Immortal kept the larger size through its entire run. I attribute this to Dark Horse being primarily a comic book publisher.

Viz and Dark Horse are the oldest US manga publishers still in business. I'm not sure when they started but I have Viz manga in comic book form from 1987 (Mai the Psychic Girl) and Dark Horse in comic book form from 1988 (Outlanders). There were earlier companies, Eclipse, First, Innovation, but they are not still publishing.
Yoshiyoku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Got another question was wondering which type of tape I should buy when closing the manga in the bags. I have some normal tape atm but who knows. Also I will post a picture up when I have brought the short comic book boxes and the manga inside them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
If you must use tape, Scotch brand Magic tape does not leave a residue. As an alternative look for self sealing bags.

From my personal experience, tape is not necessary. Simply fold the flap over properly and make sure it is positioned right when you place the books in the box. The weight of the book and the pressure of the next book will hold the flap in place. You will be much happier when you come to look at your books in the future. While tape can be removed, you are very likely to destroy the bag every time you open one.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I've found that the following bag types fit most everything:
- Digest Bags
- Current Comic Bags
- Magazine Bags

A pack of Golden Age comic bags and Silver Age comic bags are also useful for some bulky items.

Just use tape and fold the bags as needed like you would when wrapping a present. If you're really anal, you can buy a cheap heat sealer to make custom sizes.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
A couple of exceptions. Animerica Magazine in it's square bound form took what are called Large Magazine Bags. Otaku USA at 9 inches wide doesn't fit anything I've found. The same with Japanese publications such as New Type and Megami at 9 1/4 inches wide. The only thing large enough is bags for the old Life magazine and those are much too big.

Also Digest bags come in at least two sizes. You need the larger at 6 inches wide to handle most standard manga. Depending on the sizes from your supplier you may have to get a bag of each size and experiment.
Yoshiyoku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:22 am Reply with quote
Also another question? I have a manga I want to clean and was wondering which is the best option. I would prefer water based solutions as I can dry it out aka clothes that a little wet etc.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
That depends on what you are trying to get off and were.

In many cases it is best to just accept you have a damaged copy and leave it be. What ever you try, work carefully and try in a small non conspicuous area first. It is very easy to make the damage worse.

If you are trying to clean the interior pages, it is probably a lost cause. The paper will absorb any liquid you try to use. Any physical buildup can be carefully scraped off with a knife. Any stain is there forever. Any pages that get wet with anything will never look right or be flat.

If it is the cover you are trying to clean it might be possible. Most covers are coated and are fairly fluid resistant if not scratched. The first thing to try is a slightly damp cloth and see if what you are removing is water soluble. Be careful not to get near any edge or fold crease.

If what you are trying to get off is tape, or worse, tape residue you have a different problem. Water will not touch it. If it is clear tape it may be best to leave it. Stickers can be removed by using a knife to raise and slowly pull off. Any fast action will tear the cover. Sometimes tape and sticker residue can be lifted by gently touching it with the tape and lifting. If all else fails you can try a substance like "Goo Gone" which is designed for this purpose. Again be careful not to get it on an edge, scratch or fold crease as it will cause an oil stain.

Sometimes the only thing you can do is buy another copy if available.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Seconding goo-gone if it's any kind of sticky/adhesive residue you're trying to clean off the cover. It is oil-based so you wouldn't want to mix it with water, but it works great for breaking down/dissolving the residue, and will wipe away clean with a towel/paper towel.
Yoshiyoku

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Update: Can't seem to buy Short Comic Book Boxes where I live as they dont see to really get them in. So I was thinking about using Seagrass Savona storage boxes with a plastic covers discussed before. I have seen around person on another forum use a similar thing of using boxes that look like woven flax boxes.

Maybe that will work instead of the comic book boxes. Would like to hear your thoughts on that tho. I will still try and keep looking for short comic book storage boxes tho.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
@Yoshiyoku

Sorry for the delay, I just noticed your most recent post.

Just where are you? If you are in the US comic boxes should be easy to find. Any comic shop will have access to the Diamond catalog and should be able to order them. Any place that can order standard comic bags should be able to get the boxes. Outside the US, sorry I can't help.

Since you are planning on bagging your manga, any box that fits your storage space should work. If you are storing anything without a bag be careful. From that photo the stuff it has been woven with has been dyed. In a humid atmosphere that dye could color the pages of an unprotected volume.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
You might also mark your books. I've stored things on woven shelves before, and over time the weave makes an imprint in the paper.
Yoshiyoku

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:31 am Reply with quote
I'm living in New Zealand. I might try and get a woven box that hasn't been dyed or I could get a special cloth that go over the woven inside and then store the manga with plastic covers. So I might not go with the woven storage box idea.

Heres also this

but still need to wait until they get more stock which I will be asking them about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3