• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buying Manga Bags and Manga Storage Boxes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
I should emphasize that as long as you are bagging your books, the composition of the boxes is not that important. If, as st_owly says, you are putting the books on a heavily textured surface, just cover that surface with a piece of cardboard.

The photo you are currently showing looks as if it would work. Two considerations though that I can't tell from the photo. First you should be able to fill the box without a lot of lost space. Second, you don't want a box so large that it is difficult for you to lift. That is why I don't recommend long comic boxes to anyone.

Also, if you find yourself filling more that a few boxes, think in terms of how you are going to label them. I recommend Post-it-notes or something similar that you can replace if you change the contents. Believe me, having to look through 20 or 30 boxes to find a series you remember putting away is not fun.
Yoshiyoku

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
Found something in the weekend I brought that I might try out to store my manga in but will have to purchase some bags before I do that.

Looks similar to above
Its made out of polypropylene and peva / Collapsible Cubes which give you 2 Large ones

The texture of it is the same throughout so it doesn't look like it would do damage like the woven box would $11 NZ each which is pretty good.
Dimensions: 30cm (W) x 25cm (H) x 40cm (D)

Tell me what you think. I will post a picture of some of manga in the box when I get the bags.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
Those boxes look as though they would work. Before you invest heavily in them get a couple and try them out. First put manga in them temporarily and see how well they fit. You don't want too much wasted or un-fillable space. Also check for strength. If you are storing a lot of manga, you will probably have to stack them. You need to get some idea of how high you can go before the bottom box starts to collapse.

You also need to give consideration as to where you are going to keep them. Your storage area should not be damp and should be neither too hot or too dry. Also any manga that is not boxed should be kept out of direct sunlight.

Above all enjoy the process.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
I use these:
http://www.shopirisusa.com/large-media-storage-box-mcb-lmb

They fit standard-sized manga volumes well, but stuff like Viz's higher-end books (like 20th Century Boys/Pluto) are a bit too tall.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
@gsilver

That looks like a good choice. They have the advantage that the spines are up and visible if you are trying to find something. It wouldn't work for me though. At four thousand volumes and counting I would find it rather pricey to convert to that.

It is not just Viz that produces outsized manga. All of the US manga publishers (with the possible exception of Vertical) sell some titles in the larger format. You are going to have to have more flexible storage for those.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3