• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
KonoSuba – God’s Blessing on This Wonderful World!! (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Somehow it seemed out of character for him to turn down the reward even if his party instigated the cause.

It might be more of a "if we keep doing crap like this, people are going to eventually call us out on it" type of mentality as opposed to attempting a face of nobility.
Getting a house to live in during winter time seemed to be more than enough to appease Kuzuma.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
Somehow it seemed out of character for him to turn down the reward even if his party instigated the cause.

It might be more of a "if we keep doing crap like this, people are going to eventually call us out on it" type of mentality as opposed to attempting a face of nobility.
Getting a house to live in during winter time seemed to be more than enough to appease Kuzuma.

Yeah they were still getting to stay in the house, but if they got money on top of that for something Aqua was responsible for, it kind of feels like something a villain would do, while he is supposed to be a hero.

I thought that was some particularly good timing in the episode, especially in regards to the dolls. Him waking up and seeing a single creepy doll in the room just felt perfectly timed, before it expanded to the room filled with dolls, and later having the dolls cover the window. Could be just a coincidence, but most of the dolls bared a resemblance to the dolls from Rozen Maiden. Another good timing was when during the night mentioning Darkness and we get a quick shot of her seeming to enjoying herself.

Wiz sounded like a reasonable person, which made Aqua's unnatural hate for her being undead kind of funny. Aqua getting extra aggressive and trying to purify her during the drain touch example. I guess it has something to do with how she is meant to ferry undead. Also, apparently her followers are crazy.

And the pee situation was really funny, that Megumin's embarrassing story really was the exact same as Kazuma. From the call back to the lake purification episode. Don't know why but it comes across funny instead of uncomfortable like it usually does in anime.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:47 am Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

The relationship between Wiz and Aqua probably would have been clearer if they had done that episode. Apparently that story is in the source material but was omitted from the anime. When I first saw this episode I checked back to see if I had missed anything.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
episode eight

A highlight of this series for me has been how the characters take their circumstances and situations with enough stride (Aqua aside) to let them keep moving things along. In particular, I'm struck at how quickly Megumin gets over leaving her pajama bottoms behind. She even has the presence of mind to grab the vase despite being disrupted mid-stream.

I also liked how the dolls never actually attack, exactly. They just freak everyone out.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Oh wow. Wow. This was the most lewdest episode of them all LOL.
I mean, the "dream", the succubus, and the Kazuma/Darkness moments.

Kazuma and his delusions. Imagine if Aqua and Megumin walked in on them in the baths. Would of been a 5-star comedy gold moment. I guess the ending of the episode with the "Destroyer" sets up for the finale. Still, I thought this episode was pretty amusing just because of how clueless Kazuma acted especially with Darkness. I hope the finale will be good. The past few episodes including this one have been hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Were those boobs attractive? All I could think of was Gravity Falls (not the series) or the Oblongs (the series).

Seems like the succubi had a good thing going there, but you'd think it would be kind of like an opium den where you enjoy the product on the premises rather than home delivery.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Were those boobs attractive?

Yes.

Episode 9

And so Aqua messed it up for him. It is not like a dream would do anything bad to him, they said it would not hurt him, he would enjoy it, the succubus got something she needed and was not exploited like the possibility of a brothel. I guess still Aqua would never accept it.

Also, is it just a coincidence that Darkness decided to wear something the next day that makes her look more like an "older woman" (like an office lady outfit) after he said something about it the night before? At the very least Darkness reaction to the situation is quite different to the usual kind of perverted masochist side.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
episode nine

What really stands out about this episode, aside from all the skin, is how straight the whole situation is played. Rather than feeling like a parody, the whole Kazuma & Darkness thing just felt like a relatively typical (if pretty well done) harem antics scene. There was even follow-through, which DustyPredator above me mentioned, with Darkness wearing a more mature outfit the next day and clearly having somewhat mixed thoughts about the previous day's confusion. I'm not sure what to make of that since, until now, I didn't get the sense that the show took any of its relationships seriously.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
First of all....Season 2 has been announced! yay.

Anyways, I liked the show overall. It was much funnier than I had expected with the parodies and characters along with Kazuma's fantasy adventures. The artwork wasn't great but the overall chemistry between the characters left me with good impressions.

And also, the finale of the first season went out literally with an explosive bang! Explosion style! Thanks Megumin. Also glad to see that Darkness got a decent spotlight too. (lol, I like how Kazuma teases her other name). Rating this series as good. OVA coming later and season 2 should be just as fun if they adapt it right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
If there's one thing I wasn't expecting, was this series to go out with not one, but three bangs. Also, Darkness went almost an entire episode not being insufferable! Good last episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10 (finale)

First last episode of the year, and it has to be Konosuba which has been one of the most consistently entertaining, even at only 10 episodes. Really not a surprise about Darkness (Lalatina), Kazuma seemed to hit the nail on the head some episodes back when he noted that her armour looks like the type for a member of a rich family, which does not provide as much damage as being looks. Maybe he should have had Aqua leave the room when performing the teleport, although the owner of the place was called "Overlord", which makes me a little suspicious. The drain ability was just asking to give Megumin a second shot.

As mentioned before, this has been one of the most consistently entertaining shows this season. It managed to be quite a surprise with how it plays on tropes and expectations, you can look at other shows of the genre that played things a bit straighter such as DanMachi or maybe Yu-sibu, but this one did something with effortlessly going between a joke and little moments more serious.

The characters are also very much a reason, Kazama in many respects is not too different from some similar characters, but he had just the right amount of self awareness. Aqua, well right off the bat we are told that she is not the brightest, and yet she does not really come across as the usual ditzy (cute) way that might be somewhat annoying. Although Aqua might do something stupid, I guess it can kind of make sense, she flips with wanting back her old position, but is also someone who will also just want to have fun, and comes across as a fun flawed character. Megumin is also a similarly fun flawed character, a chuunibyou in a fantasy setting is funny, and I think she managed to bounce off other characters very well, going from understandable to knowingly antagonising a strong enemy. And Darkness, I think she owns one of the funniest moments in the series in making the dullahan uncomfortable.

I think that in general they did a really good job with presentation in this series. It was not the most consistently nicely animated, but they were really able to make scenes work with an interesting face, well timed scene, and there were some scenes that were more interestingly done, such as explosion magic circles. I am rating this as Very Good, not quite the highest tiers of anime, but regardless is still very entertaining.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
episode ten

A strong finish.

The whole backstory of the rampaging fortress was hilarious yet sadly realistic. It is good to know that even ancient magitech kingdoms, poor saps are still put in way over their head and expected to just make things happen. Speaking as a peon: That it destroyed said kingdom is karma, really.

Darkness's real name is as goofy as her alias.

The end of the episode has me pretty hyped for the next season. While I doubt this is the way it's going to go, I'm imagining the other party members, plus the other denizens of the town he's interacted with, as character witnesses for Kazuma.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 (OVA)

Well you reap what you sow, and Kazuma got what he deserved. Although was it an odd new found respect that spoiler[had him show a lack of respect he had and made him die a cheap death]? Some of what he got them to do was quite low, but it still had me kind of laughing at him doing the "horrible" things. I guess the rest of the series focused more on the girls doing something stupid, so seeing that he is not above it was kind karma.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 Ova
Kazuma is a perverted jerk and simply reaps what he sows.
It is strangely humanizing for the character that Kazuma would act so completely selfish while others are bending over backwards to the breaking point in an attempt to undo a cursed item.
With any positives in romantic intentions he might have had with the girls, Kazuma by the end of the OVA has put such efforts into the negatives by revealing how crude of a male and his intentions were by simply being blatantly honest.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
That was disappointing. I expected the series proper to be just like that, and it was a pleasant surprise when it turned out not to be. So this feels like some kind of backsliding or something.

Also, I didn't understand it. Did he expect to survive it? If so, why did he think he'd be forgiven for all that stuff, especially at the end? If not, why did he care if they put it back on him and let him die? I didn't understand what he hoped to gain from this in the end, except rack up some mean-spirited memories to fondle in his dreams.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8