• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - See the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Kid, people have been saying what you claim for years if not decades. And NONE of it has ever come to pass.

Because Nintendo has yet to follow up one poor selling console/device with another poor selling console/device. Don't think for one hot second that if the NX fails like the WiiU did Nintendo is going to follow it up with another console they're not going to do that unless they wanna embarrass themselves like Sega did back in the 90's. And no reason to label me a kid I'm an adult just like you.

AiddonValentine wrote:
If you have not realized by now that Nintendo is not interested in the same insecure, adolescent chest-puffing as other companies then that is on you, not on Nintendo.

Making powerful, advanced, and convenient tech large amounts of people legitimately want is insecure and adolescent chest puffing?

You're laying the bias on a bit thick aren't you?

AiddonValentine wrote:

They have better things to do than be boring like Sony and MS.

As I mentioned before if this amounts to nothing else besides making more uninteresting video game consoles, whoring out divisive Mario, Zelda, & Pokemon titles for those systems, and further making third party publisher's and developers not want to develop for their consoles. Then that's not going to help them in the long run.

I repeat: the argument you are pushing forth is not new. It is something that has been said for years, arguably as far back as the N64 days by thousands of people. And it has never come to pass. Ever. Because Nintendo's executives go with their own train of thought and it has made them all the better for it. That is what makes their games keep their unique identity after decades of being in the business.

These are the historical facts: people trying to move away from Nintendo has only made the company smarter and more diverse. It's what created games like Pikmin and Smash Bros., why Fire Emblem began getting distributed worldwide instead of being Japan-only, why the Paper Mario series was started, why Nintendo also boldly decided hardware innovations are as important as gameplay ones, and why now we see oddball collaborations like Hyrule Warriors, Pokken Tournament, and Genei Ibunroku #FE. They're not going to do what you want, because they never have. And that's all the better for gaming. Again, look at history. Moving on.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Because Nintendo's executives go with their own train of thought and it has made them all the better for it. That is what makes their games keep their unique identity after decades of being in the business.

We're not talking about the games though we're talking about their hardware, specifically their consoles which is of far more importance than the games are, since the games obviously can't play without them.

AiddonValentine wrote:
why Fire Emblem began getting distributed worldwide instead of being Japan-only,

With the sole exception of the "Mystery Of The Emblem" remake which is still japan only for no reason.

AiddonValentine wrote:
why the Paper Mario series was started,

And depending of who you ask hasn't been relevant since either Thousand Year Door or Super Paper Mario.

AiddonValentine wrote:
why Nintendo also boldly decided hardware innovations are as important as gameplay ones,

The Gamecube, Wii, & the WiiU were anything but innovative.

AiddonValentine wrote:
They're not going to do what you want, because they never have. And that's all the better for gaming. Again, look at history.

Constantly not doing what consumers expect them do is what leads to the divisiveness that they've been saddled with for the last three console generations. Also while the past may be set in stone the future isn't. And as a result one should not get complacent solely because of past successes while making themselves blind to the prospect of future failures it's following logic like yours that leads to things like the Virtual Boy and WiiU.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I actually like Omikron's science-fiction excesses better than the plainer, more controlled cinematic games that David Cage and Quantic Dream went on to create. I'll always take a weird gamble over a coherent bore.

Objection: Fahrenheit is not coherent.
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

The Gamecube, Wii, & the WiiU were anything but innovative.

The Wii U was the first full-scale television console that used two screens.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Percival King wrote:

The Wii U was the first full-scale television console that used two screens.

The gamepad not the Wii was aping on a feature that had already been introduced to gamers by way of the Nintendo DS. Incidentally that second screen functionality along with the gamepad itself is part of the reason the system costs as much as it does.
Waffitti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
Personally I'm hoping Nintendo rescues Pentaro and gives him either a Super Mario All-Stars type release of previous adventures or a new small-scale game for the 3DS or something (possibly as a Bio Miracle crossover).

It's nice to see more love for Outside, great album that one (even if it's the type of thing that had DB pulled it off in the 2000s he'd do an ARG or something for it).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3