• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ERASED [2016-01-15]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I am still giving episode five 3.5 stars because the production values remain strong, but the writing was weak.

I feel a bit stupid for caring about what happened in episodes 3 and 4 (arguably the best two episodes of the show so far) because they might become inconsequential with all the plot craziness introduced in episode five. Also, I doubt the seven remaining episodes will be enough to solve all the new complications that have been introduced.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
It's still bugging me that every time they show his mother's body, she's stabbed in the stomach instead of the back. That's a huge continuity error, given how many times they refer back to it. If it's deliberate, I can't imagine what the explanation might be.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
I dunno if the lower direction/animation has anything to do with it, but I though this episode was downright awful, like 1/5. I just wanted to yell "stop this you're ruining something great".

First part was okay-ish, the huge time skip heavily hinted that none of the event mattered and kinda killed any tension.

But the second part was just atrocious. Satoru just running away was dumb, just plain dumb. It's perfectly normal to rush over to someone to try and help them if there bloody in your apartment, it's absolutely not normal to run away. Satoru could just have stayed there and said the he found her and that would have been just fine, he wouldn't even be suspected (I can't remember why he was out, but getting an alibi shouldn't be impossible). But instead he run away... because...? Then there's Airi who worship Satoru for some reason "Man Satoru look depress all the time and his life looks miserable, that's so hot!". Her dad story was... pathetic, he stole a bar chocolate so that caused all kind of terrible things to happen to him? And apparently he didn't even steal it, how does that even happen? How bad must your marriage be that your wife dump you because you stole a chocolate bar? Then the last part, why did the bad guy even text her when he was planing on killing her by setting the house on fire? (BTW, setting a house on fire is a terrible way to kill someone when they're only on the second floor and can just jump and get away with light bruise).

Then there's the evil guy, who the show is being very subtle about not showing his face, who just happen to personally know the manager, gee what a a coincidence. Oh and the manager "I want to hump my employe" evil look, why don't he wear a "I'm a bad guy from now on" T-shirt while he's at it?

Just, gah, I hope we go back in the past ASAP cause the present is really not where this show shine.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
But the second part was just atrocious. Satoru just running away was dumb, just plain dumb.

I'm not defending episode 5 here, because it was pretty sloppy, but: he ran away in the first episode, because he was literally caught red-handed by a screaming neighbor. Also because if you found a bloodily murdered family member 10 seconds ago, you're probably not thinking straight. He originally time-jumped back while running away, and was sent back to that point in episode 5. And he probably doesn't want to deal with police interrogation when his actual goal is to go back in time again, especially since he doesn't exactly trust their judgement with this sort of thing.
sinfonia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
I have been looking forward to Thursdays the past month explicitly because of this show. And then I watch episode 5. ( Insert disappoint here. ) It's not that it was terrible, but I mean...when compared to the brilliance of the other 4 so far, this one just falls way short. Animation was lacking, presentation was ????. Also this episode just made it painfully obvious who the killer is if you didn't already know from the manga. I dunno if that was their intention, but normally isn't it a good idea to reveal the killer at the end? *shrug* I'm still looking forward to the next episode but I sincerely hope they recapture the quality of the first 4.
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
I have none of the negativity for episode 5 that seems to be going around. Of course one reason I'd make a terrible reviewer is I pretty much like everything, letting my brain check itself at the start and letting the story take me where it wants to go. Also, the 2nd half was a pleasant surprise because I did not think the show would return to the present unless it was at the end. The storyline just got deeper than I expected and fleeting glimpses of all the exciting possibilities the 2nd half opened up flitted through my head right to the end.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
Holy crap there's sentiment going down that this shows less than absolutely perfect? Laughing Well of course nothing is, I just find how overblown that sort of sentiment has been up till now with this show kind of funny. Careful of getting hype backlash now and going to far in the opposite direction in the long run folks.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
But the second part was just atrocious. Satoru just running away was dumb, just plain dumb. It's perfectly normal to rush over to someone to try and help them if there bloody in your apartment, it's absolutely not normal to run away. Satoru could just have stayed there and said the he found her and that would have been just fine, he wouldn't even be suspected (I can't remember why he was out, but getting an alibi shouldn't be impossible). But instead he run away... because...? Then there's Airi who worship Satoru for some reason "Man Satoru look depress all the time and his life looks miserable, that's so hot!". Her dad story was... pathetic, he stole a bar chocolate so that caused all kind of terrible things to happen to him? And apparently he didn't even steal it, how does that even happen? How bad must your marriage be that your wife dump you because you stole a chocolate bar? Then the last part, why did the bad guy even text her when he was planing on killing her by setting the house on fire? (BTW, setting a house on fire is a terrible way to kill someone when they're only on the second floor and can just jump and get away with light bruise).

You are a bit over optimistic about the Japanese legal system. Even if you lack any knowledge of it, since we know at least two guys have been scapegoated by the murderer and have claimed innocence from day one and yet are still on death row. While I would agree that running away can be incriminating, getting caught and claiming innocence does not save you, even if you are actually innocent. I doubt he would have an alibi as the time of death was close enough to his arrival that he would have no alibi. Those estimates are usually to the hour not minutes, so coming a few minutes after is effectively the same as before. Being the first person to discover the body, especially if you know the corpse, far from exonerating you, actually makes you the first suspect. Onto specifics on the Japanese legal system. You can be held without charge for 23 days, longer than most rich countries allow terrorists to be held. Access to a lawyer is limited. They use sleep deprivation, violence, forcing you into awkward positions and long (eight hours often) interrogations to make you confess. And once you do confess, even though it was often under duress, you're screwed. They rarely question them in court. More info here. So no he won't be fine if he stays.

As to Airi, the murderer texted her, perhaps thinking she was not that clever, would stay in the house, at least long enough to seal the exits. And if you breathe in a lot of smoke, you ain't going to be jumping or moving very much. Fire is an effective murder tool if you can immobilize the victim, either physically or drugging them, or if you seal all the exits. Especially if you can make it look like an accidental fire. Don't get any ideas people.

Now one thing I thought was dumb of Satoru was telling the manager he got into a fight with his mom. You're suspected of murdering her. Don't give them motive. Geez.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
I have none of the negativity for episode 5 that seems to be going around...letting the story take me where it wants to go... fleeting glimpses of all the exciting possibilities the 2nd half opened up flitted through my head right to the end.
Me too, it seems that this episode is a pause of sorts before the plot takes another direction but it wasn't bad. It just tells me Satoru will probably get another chance to figure out why the first try didn't succeed more (like Mom being the killer?). However, I did think it was a little much not to show the face of the baddie with the manager, as if it'd kill the story to reveal him now. And divorce over chocolate bar?? Still interested to see what happens next, too soon to start flipping tables.
Evaunit02berserk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:58 am Reply with quote
[quote="Hiroki not Takuya"]
trilaan wrote:
I. However, I did think it was a little much not to show the face of the baddie with the manager, as if it'd kill the story to reveal him now.

Yes, it would actually kill the story pretty heavily. Its a pretty big twist who he actually is. I am having a hard time watching it now knowing who it is and not getting mad at the screen. In the end, he is actually a huge scum bag.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:09 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Now one thing I thought was dumb of Satoru was telling the manager he got into a fight with his mom. You're suspected of murdering her. Don't give them motive. Geez.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Even if he thought it wasn't on the news yet, he surely didn't think it never would be. Also, if there was any doubt that he was going to betray him, the Last Supper hanging on his living room wall (nope, not out of place in a Japanese 20-something's home at all) pretty much megaphoned that "twist" almost before you had a chance to wonder.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote
It helps that he did fight with her in the manga (breaking a window in the process). And the reason why he ran from the scene was because he saw the killer still around. I guess the staff just didn't plan the adjusting of stuff well enough given how they differed from the source in the first episode.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote
Is the Japanese justice system so broken that your life can be ruined over a chocolate bar? After all the time traveling and premonitions, that was the least believable part of this series yet.

But aside from that, it's one of the best new anime I've seen in a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
Ep 5 managed to kill what little enthusiasm I had left for the show. Quantum Leap for pedophiles the first half might have been, but I'll take that over a hackneyed thriller that looks like what we'll be getting for the next couple episodes at least. Hang on...20 something adult whose life hasn't gone where he'd hoped finds himself relying on the help of a 17 year old girl who takes an inexplicable interest in him? Its Welcome to the NHK! That would explain the headless government official guy: he's clearly part of the conspiracy.

penguintruth wrote:
Is the Japanese justice system so broken that your life can be ruined over a chocolate bar? After all the time traveling and premonitions, that was the least believable part of this series yet.

No. This show's simplistic writing is why your life can be ruined by a chocolate bar.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
Where did all that lovely quiet sensitivity of the previous episodes go? Instead there's a cut to the Last Supper. Naff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 30