• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dimension W

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
This show surprised me. Really been enjoying it and I got a slight DtB feel from it. Also, best OP song so far I've seen this season.

The action itself so far is pretty nice too and Kyouma seems like an interesting character. As the manga is still ongoing, I wonder how it will end. But so far, Dimension W is a must-watch for the season imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Finally a show where the main character is older and not freaken little kids in high school...Loving this OP from SDF!!! Can't wait to see more of this! Cool
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
this is one of the few series out there

not many JRPGs and Anime series have middle age people as the main characters

not sure what's the story is about yet but so far so good

interesting characters

400% tax on gasoline-- that's not too far-fetch though.. it might be the future we are heading to
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Am enjoying it so far. The worldbuilding and art direction are the best things about it so far. Kyouma is pretty bland personalty-wise;he's just lonewolf guy so far(I do like how he's stuck in the past with his ways. Then you have the action scenes that cutaway way too much and are edited in a choppy manner(was better in episode 2). It has a huge amount of potential so far.

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
The direction is reaaally weird and hit-or-miss, yes, but I'm more positive about it because it's not half-assed: most of the layouts are ambitious and the action scenes have a lot of good dynamism and weight. Even when the main character and Loser are running and doing sudden changes of direction in hallways felt exciting (and also not confusing because it's an easy space to identify in your mind).
However, it's true that its biggest problem is that it's confusing, it tries to be so dynamic that sometimes it forgets we need to see the shots clearly in order to follow it well, and with a lot of closeups (and sudden switchs from closeups to long shots), oblique shots are quick camera movements it's hard to figure out.
But I'm so used to see no weight or timing in many action scenes that makes them feel so bland even though they're clear, that seeing this opposite angle is kind of refreshing and you can tell it's ambitious, and it's still fun, so I'll hope it will learn how to keep the action scenes more clear and focused.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:
Finally a show where the main character is older and not freaken little kids in high school...Loving this OP from SDF!!! Can't wait to see more of this! Cool

Hopefully there will be no undercover work at a school.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the second episode shot a bunch of holes in the theory that Mira was based on Yurizaki's dead daughter, judging that she was made before the daughter and the wife were murdered, and unless she was given the ability to age (a very advanced technology indeed), she was significantly older in appearance than the daughter when she died, based on the record Mira showed.

The Dimensional explosion result reminded me of the one killer from Psycho pass that turned their victims into works of art, but with a more modern art style. The second episode, aside from the continuation of the first eps final scene and the skirt blown by the wind (which you couldn't really see anything), was less fanservicey than the last ep, which probably eases some concerns.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
All I can day is that when the ED came on I was shocked that all the time had passed, I was that taken in by what was happening on screen. Only Grimgar's second episode has done that to me this season (or at least come very close). So to me, good episode.
Aoi_Nagase

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
This anime really brings back the Solty Rei vibe from the past. It's rare to see an anime about an old guy living in old age style in a new age like this. Yes, just like Gabriella said, anime like Dimension W is like "a breath of fresh air". I'm gonna enjoy this anime to the end. Probably.

On another note, I'm actually delighted that spoiler[they include a TOYOTA 2000GT in it as Kyoma's personal ride.]
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I was fairly impressed by the first episode, but it still felt awkward to me, like it was missing something. Episode two still feels that way, but it was a definite step up in quality as far as I'm concerned. The action was better directed and more fluid (and there seemed to be more of it), the new guy was interesting, the coil disaster was awesome (and legitimately disturbing), which added context and furthered my investment in the plot, we got more bits of background info on the main character and they even toned the fan service way down. I'd call that a success, and I'm looking forward to next episode.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Techno-dystopia. Anime loves it.

This New Tesla corporation sure likes to go around murdering wives and children. Any good reason we can see?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
While not a big fan of its late 90's/early 00's throwback nature, I think episode 2 was better than episode 1. I am starting to see a clearer direction of where Dimension W could go.

Gabriella wrote:
Right now, my biggest question is what direction Dimension W will take with its overall narrative. Will it consist mostly of episodic adventures or dive headfirst into a longer storyline?

It is early, but I am definitely seeing a larger narrative starting to develop.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:

Yeah, you said it. I'm getting real tired of these teen anime. They're all boring as shit. Confused
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
Main character though older is very meh, basically another Jet but trapped in a skinny body. Funny how people beg for no boring teen main character, yet all this anime does is give us a boring adult.

Plus not only the robot chick feels like a slap in the face for maturity compared to characters like Gally/Alita, but the twist for her is so predictable. Animation is very stale with long close up shots with a weak stylistic idea to move the body of the character along a 2 colored plane. The story has already been done, the usually serious detective/bounty hunter with the inexperienced/gullible youth. And the fanservice on the her is incredibly forced. Opening is dull (The dance has nothing compared to PS02's WTF ending) and the ending forgettable.

All in all, this season is stale. And this show was the final nail in that coffin. I prefer to go read Battle Angel Allita for a better female character and sci-fi setting, or the OVA for a more fleshed out male character who is also the creator for Gally/Alita.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah pretty good, nothing extraordinary, it play it safe in a genre that used to be overdone but is relatively rare at the moment like the review remarked.

I think my biggest problem with it is that robot girl is pretty damn useless outside of providing fan service shoot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13