• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dimension W

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
I've heard that the anime skipped a manga chapter where she gets a boob-job, so yes (the boob-job is so her power-on button is hidden in the 'cleavage vagina').

I don't recall anything like that, the mini arc that the anime has skipped (it could still be adapted, I don't think there is such a continuity break after this arc even if I haven't finished reading) isn't one focused in Mira. It could be that she appears naked sometime but that'd be it.

Chapter 13, page 14. Don't know if it comes up later. Could be simply a gag, anyway.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
If you decided to go with Masaki instead of Marisa, or Sasaki to avoid confusion with her brother, please say so in advance. This episode was confusing enough without having to try to figure out who Masaki was. Smile
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
I'm a little disappointed that no one has made a Persona 4 reference, considering they're investigating a series of murders in a place called Yasogami that is currently covered in fog. Throw in some televisions and we're set.

Anyway, one thing I'm a little confused about is exactly how Dimension W itself functions as a source of energy. Normally, the fourth dimension would be time, and time itself can't create energy. Therefore, should we be assuming that it's something else? And if it is, how is that possible? Maybe I'm overthinking it a little, who knows...
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
Latest fantranslated chapter (it's about this arc so we'll see it soon) introduces quite the infodump about Dimension W. A lot of people pointed out that the 4th dimension is time, however we should remember that this is a (widely accepted) theory, that doesn't go without problems, since it is highly debatable whether time exists beyond human reason and construction.

You (and dinosaurs) could say, things have been happening regardless of the existence of humans. What we do know then is that there is an universal phenomena that encases all other phenomena in an specifical serial order (all things happen at a time, not at other, even if a moment is similar to the one before and the one after, it's not placed in the same order). We call it time, but perhaps time is not the most accurate word, considering the theoretical 5th dimension that, again, in theory, would put the 4th dimension (and everything inside) in an specifical space.

All I can say without spoiling is that Dimension W is explained taking in consideration all these stuff.

killjoy_the wrote:
Chapter 13, page 14. Don't know if it comes up later. Could be simply a gag, anyway.

Just checked and it's just her jacket being a little open, but you can't even see her chest, so maybe it is another page.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:

Just checked and it's just her jacket being a little open, but you can't even see her chest, so maybe it is another page.

I meant these lines. I don't read the manga so idk if it ever comes up again or if they acknowledge that her breasts did get bigger.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
All I can say without spoiling is that Dimension W is explained taking in consideration all these stuff.

If this series takes scientific theories into consideration and comes up with something coherent, then that's wonderful. A lesser series would only give a vague explanation - or maybe even none at all - so I can always appreciate when a show can explain its thought process. That's the best kind of science fiction.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:
That's the best kind of science fiction.

Only if it is done properly. The problem is that it is far too easy to screw it up. They can get boring, long-winded, or overly esoteric/technical. More often they botch their understanding of known science and fail to call it "magic." The worst offense is when they don't commit those kinds of errors, but what they end up with isn't really relevant to the story at hand.

At the end of the day I agree but I see more bad examples than good. I'm not sure about DW yet.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
GeneStriker wrote:
That's the best kind of science fiction.

Only if it is done properly. The problem is that it is far too easy to screw it up. They can get boring, long-winded, or overly esoteric/technical. More often they botch their understanding of known science and fail to call it "magic." The worst offense is when they don't commit those kinds of errors, but what they end up with isn't really relevant to the story at hand.

At the end of the day I agree but I see more bad examples than good. I'm not sure about DW yet.

Yeah, I get that. It isn't exactly easy to describe things that don't necessarily exist, much less how they work. As a result, a lot of the time things go wrong. It's one of the biggest risks of the genre as a whole. It's very difficult to strike the balance between making sense and being relevant. However, it can do wonders for world building when done properly, so I feel like it's worth the effort, is all. I just hope the explanation for Dimension W will work. If it does, it will boost my opinion of the series as a whole.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Yo, the idea of the 4th dimension being time is a myth. Just sayin'.

Actually, the whole idea that there would be such a thing as a "4th dimension" is a fallacy to begin with.
There is no order to dimensions. They just sort of are.
[Also, String Theory predicts that there should be at least 10 spatial dimensions. You know, just throwing that out there.]

P.S. And the show's opening segment every week makes it very clear that Dimension W is definitely supposed to not be time....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Very generous review this week considering the episode was a bunch of convoluted nonsense,mixed with a pointless attempted rape scene(that was some atrocious writing). Your suppose to feel for these people,but your never given enough time to really give a shit about them. Then the exposition which is doing way to much telling. The character of Elizabeth had no purpose at all in this arc,other than to be introduced as someone related to Loser.

It's a shame since the show has builted up an interesting world,but the characters,drama,and action are not treated with the same importance. I also don't see why this is labelled as an action show,since all the action scenes so far have been short and unimpressive.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
One small correction: from the conversation Kamiki overheard, the dam employees did not intend to kill the student protesters, just run off a little water to scare them off. Whether due to the weather or a technical malfunction, a bit more water went through, which makes Kamiki's decision to kill the operator seem short sighted. Also the "science stuff" they were planning on doing was using the coil for power generation to show that the dam wasn't necessary and the area therefore didn't need to be flooded. That is what coils ended up being used for in fact.

I too found the nonconsensual fanservice to be unpleasant but I'm not sure how much of a problem it will be going forward. This arc is the first instance of it and may well be the last.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella Ekens wrote:
Then again, this is a guy who responded to an easily-justifiable self-defense killing by tampering with the body and photographic evidence of the encounter. (I mean, I'd understand if Enamori's position were indefensible for one reason or another, but the assault was caught on video.)

A classic case of sweeping a crime under the rug.

In anime.

Since it was indeed self-defense, why would Kamiki dispose of the body, then proceed to throw the video camera with the dead man's verbal confession and actions on it down the well with him??? That would've made the situation a lot worst. He could've easily called the police, but probably thought, "We can handle our own problems. Better not get the police involved. Enamori and I will forget this ever happened."

No, dude. Just no.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
Gabriella Ekens wrote:
Then again, this is a guy who responded to an easily-justifiable self-defense killing by tampering with the body and photographic evidence of the encounter. (I mean, I'd understand if Enamori's position were indefensible for one reason or another, but the assault was caught on video.)

A classic case of sweeping a crime under the rug.

In anime.

Since it was indeed self-defense, why would Kamiki dispose of the body, then proceed to throw the video camera with the dead man's verbal confession and actions on it down the well with him??? That would've made the situation a lot worst. He could've easily called the police, but probably thought, "We can handle our own problems. Better not get the police involved. Enamori and I will forget this ever happened."

No, dude. Just no.

I think it may have been a result of cultural differences too. While it was justifiable self defense, killing someone probably would not be looked upon very well by society, as her reaction to killing the guy seemed to imply. I think he was thinking that the flooding would erase any evidence he was killed by a her, and anyone finding the body would assume they were killed in the flood. Now was it the best idea? Probably not.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm going with "very generous review" too. It was a mess, I'm half torn between thinking they should have made this into three episodes or just axed the arc altogether.

I feel 0 sympathy for all the student who got killed. The guy trying to make the body disappear and then murder someone is clearly an idiot and deserves no sympathy. Similarly all the student are pretty dumb to carry the experiment next to the damn, why wouldn't the village believe them if they carried out the experiment in laboratory? Maybe if we they could have fleshed out the story more, but instead they all came off as stupid hippy.

Then there Mira who's again mostly there for fan service. Except she's not, she figured out everything... somehow. I don't understand why they didn't even bother showing how she figures it out, other than its such a mess nothing would have worked so they just decide to skip the explanation.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Yeah I'm going with "very generous review" too.

Third vote here. However the review was very good in that it helped me understand the plot -- without it I would have been pretty much lost. I just didn't care enough to put the mental effort into it.

I want to like this anime but it just isn't doing it for me yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13