• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Least favorite adaptations of manga / light novels?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
I searched to make sure this topic wasn't already started, so if I missed it, I apologize.

What anime do you think screwed up a good manga?

Anything by Studio Pierrot after 'Yu Yu Hakusho' ended- First, let's talk about the original "Naruto's" fillers. Despite Jiraiya telling Naruto that he would take him to go train in only three months, these arcs dragged on for almost two years. I suppose if you say all the fillers take place in one day, that would make sense, but then you have to wonder the time in-between filler arcs. Naruto would need time to rest and heal from the battles he faced in the action-based fillers. The action-based fillers would always have generic villains, a never-before mentioned Ninja village, and neither will be mentioned again after the arc ends.

The fillers also seem to suffer from something I like to call "Persona 4 Syndrome," where even though there's an important conflict going on, the heroes start screwing around in wacky comedic episodes. We get episodes where Naruto fights Ninja ramen chefs, chases a Ninja mail man, Naruto trying not to laugh at a funeral, etc. Yeah, these are really hilarious [/sarcasm], but wasn't there something important going on? Something about Naruto's friend turning evil and leaving the village? Finally, another gripe I have with the fillers is how they ignore Naruto and Sakura's character development. Naruto is back to being a dumb@$$ and Sakura is back to being a short-tempered female dog. "Naruto Shippuden" and "Bleach" have even worse fillers.

Unlike the original "Naruto," those two have fillers that interrupt canon arcs and each individual filler goes on for 20-40 episodes. Later on with those two, Pierrot decided "screw continuity" and made fillers that don't even fit in the story or take place in random points in the series. At least with the original "Naruto's" fillers, they chose a good point to start them and you could easily fit them in continuity. However, I think the worst offense is how even though the "Naruto" manga has been over for over a year, 2015 had eight canon episodes! Good god. I'd hate to see how they adapt monthly manga. Speaking of monthly manga...

Blue Exorcist: This series suffers from what happened to "Fullmetal Alchemist" and "Soul Eater," where because the source material was a monthly series, they decided to make up their own ending. The difference is that FMA and SE at least still had decent stories in their own right. The anime started off okay, but then it got really bloody stupid when they stopped following the manga. They screw with continuity by having Yukio spoiler[turn into a demon] and introduce Rin and Yukio's mother. The only characters that get any development are Rin and Yukio, while Rin's classmates are really just there.

I think the worst offense was how they reduced Shiemi into a useless moeblob. Sure, she was a moe in the manga too, but at least she takes a few levels in bad@$$. Here, she occasionally helps, but spends most of the time fangirling over Yukio and possibly Izumo. Next, there's the filler that happened when the anime followed the manga. Much like "Naruto," they suffered from "Persona 4 Syndrome," where the filler episodes have the characters screwing around. We have Rin getting fired from jobs in a sitcom-manner, the characters taking a trip to the beach, and Rin cooking. If they were going to diverge from the manga, why even have these filler episodes? The anime had 25 episodes. How far ahead did they plan this?

At least with FMA, they had 52 episodes to plan things out, and some of the filler episodes served a purpose when the anime stopped following the manga. Then the series got a movie. You'd think that it would have been a retelling of the anime (like most movies based off of 25 episode anime that don't serve as a conclusion to the series), but no; it was a standard shonen anime movie with an original villain and story. Did A-1 really think the series was going to get a second season? Did they plan on that being original? Or were they going to wait until the manga had more material? Because if it's the latter, they have some explaining to do. It also hurts the anime that it stopped following the manga before the Impure King Arc, which was when I felt the manga really started to get good.

This only got worse when I started on the Illuminati Arc. The arc reveals that Shima spoiler[was actually a spy for the Illuminati]. In the anime, he just ends up being the resident comic relief. Though, I can understand that since the parts the anime covered didn't hint to that. However, what I thought was unforgivable was how Izumo's backstory was hinted, but they never did anything with it. They didn't even try to make anything up. As a result, Izumo just ended up being a generic tsundere.

[EDIT: Adjust the title and added paragraph breaks. -TK]

Last edited by Animeking1108 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:33 am; edited 2 times in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
I feel like this is going to turn into a rant thread and get locked soon due to flame wars, but while it's here... I guess I'll throw in my two cents. Please take everything with a grain of salt and consider that I am saying that these are less than great adaptations of the manga they're based off of. This certainly doesn't mean that you should feel bad for liking the show, especially if you haven't read the manga/novel.

1. Bokurano:Ours This one, I feel, I'm going to get a lot of flak for. I always do. "It's a beautiful show about children coming to terms with their own mortality!" Well, you're close. It's based off of an outstanding manga about well-developed children who are doomed to die coming to terms with that fact and making the difficult decision of whether or not this world is worth living, fighting, and dying for. The anime...? Well, the anime goes off on tangents, develops characters more than others (I'd dare say that Kako, the kid who wants to give his heart to his BFF, and Ushio are the only ones with any satisfying character by the end of the anime, where as by the end of the manga, they're all great).

The anime focuses way too much on the government trying to save the kids from their contract. This does not matter, and most people will realize very quickly that this is impossible and goes against the theme of the show. The manga had no such side plots. What's more, about 3/4 of the way through, there's this part where two of the kids suddenly fall in love (it's literally out of nowhere and just demeans them if anything, showing the girl as vulnerable and afraid, willing to fall for the first boy to comfort her), she fights, dies after her battle (duh) and the boy overreacts and screams at Dung Beetle. It was just eye-rollingly forced.

While we're on the subject, the anime threw characters in and put others into antagonist roles where they weren't needed. A comic relief Yakuza man was an incredibly out of place (and quite frankly, unfunny) addition to the cast. There's some subplot about other countries or assassins (whatever) wanting to kill the Zearth pilots (which is sort of done in the manga, but really, it was only briefly brought up and done well enough so that it never overshadowed the true meat of the show). Finally, Dung Beetle, while kind of a jerk in the manga, was an all out villain in the anime. Like we needed a villain. I loved his character in the manga towards the end, thinking of Ushiro as a sort of friend despite all that happened, spoiler[becoming the final pilot,] and even showing concern when Ushiro had to commit mass homicide during his battle.

The worst thing in my mind was the addition of the "masterminds." Sure, they only came up a few times, but the characters who "find out" about them act with malice and hatred. These are the men who created this game for seemingly no reason, laughing at the contestants who fight and die for their world. If you ask me, this was not needed. The manga had this "game" happen to prune the multiverse before it collapsed from too many universes. What's more, there was no mastermind. Dung Beetle says it best when he explains "it's best to think of this as a natural phenomena that God created." No one wanted this to happen. It just happened. There's no one to stick it to or confront for having this sick idea. It's just an unfortunate, necessary circumstance in which these children must die. And in the end, that's even more tragic than some villain's plot. (PS: Apply what I just said to Dung Beetle being able to choose the next pilot rather than it being chosen at random.)

Making a character that the audience must hate is an easy, cheap way to make them invested in the story. Making a story with no heroes or villains is a difficult, rewarding way to gain praise and sympathy from the audience to the characters.

2. Aku no Hana. Not much to say here. The rotoscoping really just did nothing for me. It was hard to watch without laughing. Doesn't help that this is one of my favorite manga. If you liked the rotoscoping, this is just a personal opinion. Please keep that in mind.

3. Tsukihime. Do I really need to explain it? Fair enough. First of all, this thing tries to do what most failure VN adaptations do. It tries to adapt every route while sticking very closely to the main one (seriously, F/SN 2006, Clannad, and numerous others would have been great if they just stuck to one path). It developed irrelevant characters too much, which might not have been TOO bad if this was a longer show.

Second, it was animated like garbage. Not much to say on that front, but I can name a billion shows from the previous decade that look like Studio Ufotable X Studio Ghibli compared to Tsukihime. Excel Saga, for instance, was average but looked way better.

Third, by the tragic end, I cared not a single bit about these characters. They were really too bland. For all the talk I had about minor ones being overly developed, they weren't developed well enough. If there's one VN that needs a remade anime, it's this one.

4. Eat Man. Unrelated to the source material. Poor ADAPTATION. Okay anime.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Kamichama Karin. I adore the manga but what Satelight produced was absolute crap. THEY DIDN'T GET ANYTHING RIGHT. The atmosphere was wrong, the music was wrong, the script was wrong....the directing was wrong.....the animation and character art were so sloppy and inconsistent, I swear they were half-asleep.

It was so God-awful and disappointing. It made me cry tears of blood.
(okay, not blood, but salty water) The only thing that fit well was the voice acting. But even bottom-of-the-barrel garbage anime can do this fine so that pretty much means nothing.

Last edited by Chiibi on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Naruto is back to being a dumb@$$ and Sakura is back to being a short-tempered female dog.

Bitch.

Sorry, I was just testing the ANN forum filter, wondering, "Did they really think 'female dog' was a better, less offensive substitute?"

Now that I've made my own post, my question is, "Do you really think that way?"

On topic, I basically agree with everything you said about Naruto. Allow me to throw Claymore into the mix--a hard and painful thing to do when it was on the right track for the first twenty-four episodes (if far too dialogue-heavy by my present standards), but really easy once you hit episode 25. Behold, ladies and gentlemen: the results of low ratings at their most egregious!
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Ah, almost forgot the most controversial example. Akira. Yeah... this movie is rushed as hell and the latter half is incomprehensible. We're given little to no explanation for anything. And the worst crime of all... it has animation well beyond its time. Why is that a horrible thing? Because it distracts viewers from the obvious problems!
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
^ I've only seen the movie, and while I do acknowledge it has huge problems (such as never resolving the government takeover subplot), I still really like it. The Unshaved Mouse did I good review of the movie that I recommend you read.

(Also, I'm glad you liked The Flowers of Evil! I'm still reading the manga itself, and let's just say that the ending of Volume Six broke me.)

(Also also, rumor had it that the director of Bokurano HATED the orginal manga. That should probably explain a few things.)

As for the topic at hand, while I never finished either, from what I know about the first Negima anime, I know THEY. F**KED. UP. Examples include switching around the events of the first three volumes in a story that is heavily dependent on continuity, reducing the (very important, three-volume long) Kyoto Field Trip arc to THREE EPISODES, and having a really awful ending because the show got canceled. I dread the eventual day that I finish the anime. Help me.
Night fox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
(Also also, rumor had it that the director of Bokurano HATED the orginal manga. That should probably explain a few things.)

Isn't that just another way of saying that he screwed up the anime adaptation? Why would someone who hated the manga be asked to direct the anime, and then choose to accept the offer?
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
^ After doing more research, I discovered that the director was HORRIFIED by the content of the original manga and wanted to give the child characters a happier ending. Surprisingly, the creator was okay with the director changing things around, just as long as there were no Deus ex Machinas used.

There's an article on this site written on June 14, 2007 that goes into more detailed on the director's thoughts. I recommend a look.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Purely as an adaptation? Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Manga get lifeless, static adaptations all the time, and many, MANY of them are worse than Brotherhood, which at least has high production values. But this one raises my hackles like no other. It takes a great work--a masterpiece in its own way--and stripps it of what made it special: the giddy B-movie feel, the delight that comes from saying, in the author's own words, "What the hell is that?" It's a grubby, mercenary little thing, and all the polish in the world can't hide that.

(I imagine this choice will eventually be replaced by Sailor Moon Crystal--I haven't seen it all the way through, but after watching the 90s show with its delightfully simplified designs, it's hard to ignore how ugly Crystal looks).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:

(I imagine this choice will eventually be replaced by Sailor Moon Crystal--I haven't seen it all the way through, but after watching the 90s show with its delightfully simplified designs, it's hard to ignore how ugly Crystal looks).

Ha, Crystal has nice, shiny colors and nice flowing hair and oh.....well that's about it. Anime hyper (um the songs are ok?)
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
^ After doing more research, I discovered that the director was HORRIFIED by the content of the original manga and wanted to give the child characters a happier ending. Surprisingly, the creator was okay with the director changing things around, just as long as there were no Deus ex Machinas used.

There's an article on this site written on June 14, 2007 that goes into more detailed on the director's thoughts. I recommend a look.

My only comment on him wanting to give them a happy ending is this. Director of Bokurano, if you're reading this: "Congratulations. You gave them a happier ending (somewhat), but A. It was at the cost of any character memorability, and B. spoiler[They still died (minus Kana). The fact that Kana survived] isn't really an issue here. It's everything else.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
^
Added spoiler tags.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for the topic at hand, while I never finished either, from what I know about the first Negima anime, I know THEY. F**KED. UP. Examples include switching around the events of the first three volumes in a story that is heavily dependent on continuity, reducing the (very important, three-volume long) Kyoto Field Trip arc to THREE EPISODES, and having a really awful ending because the show got canceled. I dread the eventual day that I finish the anime. Help me.
- Akane the Catgirl (sorry, I copied and pasted instead of clicking the 'quote' button).

Aside from some OVAs, the anime never really continued, instead, it kept getting rebooted more times than the Punisher.

Last edited by Animeking1108 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108--

Please fix your posting so that that it is exactly clear just whom you are quoting. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I left out something about Bokurano. It was directed pretty darn poorly. It's amazing that I never cry reading manga that aren't Gash Bell, but I came close with this one. Usually anime pushes me that step further because of its music. How can you manage to have 15 children die across the course of a 24 episode show and not make one of their death scenes emotionally gripping?

Yes. We all know the joke about Gonzo being inconsistent, but that usually means that they pretend not to have a budget until it matters. I remember stuff I was supposed to care about being so bland or even abysmal that it hurt my eyes (the flashback from the girl who got sexed up by sensei-senpai was almost funny).

Also, while I love the opening song to death, the opening itself is extremely lazy. The literally cut and paste clips from the show. That's not inherently bad, but they didn't even make sure those scenes fit what the song was saying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2