• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Awesome Unadapted Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I've always dreamed of a Trigun Maximum adaptation, or a Brotherhood style manga faithful Trigun reboot.

Livio and Elendira! *screams*
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Kyjin wrote:
. I'd also like to see an anime version of A Silent Voice.

KyoAni will be making an animated film of A Silent Voice due in the fall.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
In the past, I would have been tempted to list a bunch of favorite manga that I'd like to see adapted as anime, but I've come to realize just how much of it there really is, and what a small portion of it even gets licensed over here or turned into anime.

On business trips to SF over the last year, I started collecting the Dengeki Daioh monthly anthology, and it just gob-smacked me to think that there are nearly 40 manga in every month's issue, only a handful of which are recognizable (most of those being anime adaptations like A Lull in the Sea, or VN adaptations like ef and Muv-Luv Alternative, or LN adaptations like Toradora! and The Irregular / Honor at Magic High School), and an even smaller subset being licensed over here (such as this article's Yotsuba&!). Then consider that Daioh is just one of many phone-book size anthologies (Shonen Gangan, Comic Alive, etc.) and it sinks in just how unlikely it is that any particular manga I might be aware of is going to get an anime adaptation.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised that Reiko the Zombie Shop didn't get some kind of adaptation, be it animated or live action. It seemed a shoe-in for a bloodbath OVA or SOMETHING, but nope.

I, too, would love Pluto and 20th Century Boys... But teenage me was in desperate want of anime based on the works of Kaori Yuki that wasn't that hot mess that was the Angel Sanctuary OVA.

...And I'll continue to dream about an anime for The Drifting Classroom, which will absolutely never happen.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
...And I'll continue to dream about an anime for The Drifting Classroom, which will absolutely never happen.

DC's style would never work with modern anime, but I do find it strange that more recent survival horror series never get adapted either. Cage of Eden, Aphorism, Drifting Net Cafe, Magical Girl of the Apocalypse, As The Gods Will ... I think every major manga magazine has at least one series in that style, but the last one I can remember being animated is Btooom, and that was three or four years ago.
Nubrain01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
A while back I stumbled on a manga that was a few years old called Magico. I loved it as it had the right combination of action, humor and romance to hit my tastes perfectly. I know it will never get an anime at this point and I never hear anyone talk about it so I guess it wasn't popular. At this point I'd just love to have an English release of the manga. I don't really buy much manga with what little I read either being through crunchyroll or scanlations of things I can't read any other way but this was the first manga I ever felt compelled to buy and I have no way to do so.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I get what some people are saying about the use of mediums, but are you telling me that something like Cannon God Exaxxion shouldn't be animated before another idol slice of life show? That could use it.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I read the first volume Eden - It's an Endless World! years ago, and while I can't recall the specifics, at the time I felt its political message to really REALLY rub me the wrong way.

I would, however, give up any number of limbs to have a Pluto anime.
heinrichk.05

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
drifty1 wrote:
Mushoku Tensei - Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu is one I'd like to see done. It's not by any means an original plot, but I think it ranks high in it's genre (boy-gets-killed-and-finds-himself-reborn-in-a-magical-realm).

And you probably will see an adaptation soon (although Mushoku Tensei is actually a web novel series). I mean, when the original web novel was being published on Syosetsu, it always ranked 1st. Besides, it has already ended and now is being published as a light novel, just like Gate.

Hopefully Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari also gets an adaptation, who knows?

As for myself, including those already mentioned by other people, the ones I'd like to see most are Kakukaku Shikajika (from the same mangaka of Kuragehime), All-Rounder Meguru, Mashiro no Oto, Umimachi Diary, Houseki no Kuni, Ballroom e Youkoso, Dungeon Meshi, Iris Zero, Wakabayashi Toshiya's 4-koma Collection (this 4-koma manga is awesome!), Fujimura-kun Mates, Horimiya (a REAL adaptation), Tomo-chan wa Onna no Ko!, Oresama Teacher (only Nozaki-kun getting an adaptation is unfair), Yuusha ga Shinda!, Mahou Shoujo of the End and maybe Yasashii Sekai no Tsukurikata.

On another note, I'm really looking forward to reading this new manga on Comic Meteor called Sora no Aporia. Maybe someday it will get its own anime adaptation too.

I apologize if I made a mistake. English is not my first language.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Honestly if I had the money and resources to do so I would absolutely fund a Pluto anime adaption. Maybe MAPPA will get to do one someday since I know it's the dream project of the head of the studio.

I'm also kind of weirded out Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer didn't get an anime either, but I guess it wasn't popular enough. Hopefully Spirit Circle fares better since that's a pretty great series too.
stevek504

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow. A bunch of great suggestions! If they could make the dub as well as they did for Azumanga Daioh then Yotsuba&! would be a great hit. Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer would make a good anime I bet.

My top choices would be for Blame! / Biomega, and KIELI. - these really need and anime.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
I'd love to see an adaption of 20th Century Boys.

Agree with you completely.

I'd also love to see adaptations of Aquarion Age: Juvenile Orion, Dengeki Daisy, Takeru - Opera Susanoh Sword of the Devil, With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child, KIELI, One Fine Day (by Sirial), and Milkyway Hitchhiking.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
justsomeaccount wrote:
One big problem I personally have with these "why aren't these manga turned into an anime??" is that it automatically assumes that manga are a lesser form of medium in comparison to anime and all manga aspires to be that. When ironically it's more like the opposite, many anime are made to advertize the original manga. But many people don't seem to identify the traits of each medium.

Yes!!! (this whole post, really.) Manga is my preferred medium (because of pacing, art quality, fullness of story and artist's own vision, a general preference of reading over viewing). I personally don't watch many anime except as a preview to determine if I want to start buying the manga. (so we're clear on my own biases here.) But the idea that we're tragically missing out if a series doesn't have an anime adaptation seems like it's really missing the point and makes me sad that some people would rather watch an adaptation (that may not be as good) than read the original. I can understand if it was your favourite series ever and you think an anime would be amazing to supplement your enjoyment (Yona of the Dawn was that for me), but for the most part, manga is entirely satisfying as manga.

I think it's more constructive to view this article (and use the discussion it prompts) as a source of some great stories that people who don't normally read manga may be missing out on, and not as just a place to bemoan the lack of anime adaptations. I hope people read some of the titles mentioned so far, they're all great ones!!

@Nojay, 14-sai no Koi is available in English as Love at Fourteen. I also think it's another of those atmospheric, deliberately-paced manga that wouldn't necessarily benefit from an anime adaptation.

I am sorry but I completely disagree. Literature is one thing, aka actual books. There are various things that only work in a written form, and lack of visuals allows people to kind of use their imagination and fill in things like character appearance adding to the experience.

But a manga is just non following animation. Everything is made as manga and not anime because its cheaper, not because manga is any better as a medium. Hell shonen is the most extreme example, but the fights in works like naruto or one piece can't ever compare to their animated version if they are done properly. And most manga works don't particularly rely on things like exposition or inner monologue, and even those can be much easier to convey in anime.

In fact, manga has the same stigma as anime does, but with regards to light novels. There are always quick manga adaptions of light novels, sometimes even a few at a time, that last a volume or too and then end, just like anime adaptions of manga.

On topic, second OP Vonyich Hotel is an amazing work, and love its kind of Nightmare Before Christmas vibe. I think its work that might be more popular in the west.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
I'm all over awesome manga without anime adaptations. Not even counting the ones with incomplete adaptations, like Please Save My Earth, or Basara, there's tons of goodness out there. Though, given the recent boom in shojo fantasy anime out there now (what with Yona and Snow White), now would be a good time to revive things like Basara, but also From Far Away. And given that only like, 10 pages max take place in the real world, adding in throwaway lines where she looks at her cell phone and goes "oh, it's not working" would modernize it and make those people happy (Parasyte's adaptation had tons of moments like that, like when his father "dropped his tablet off the cliff" where he obviously never had one in the manga because it was the late 80s). But it's such a good fantasy series and those seem to be doing so well right now too!

But while From Far Away could get an adaptation today, I think it's too late for Banana Fish, which unfortunately couldn't be modernized enough to today's standards to make people shut up. They'd need to keep it in the late 80s time period it takes place in, it's too important to the settings and politics. I am honestly surprised it never got one in the 80s though, the manga was known to be ungodly popular in Japan during its time. Maybe it lacks the type of... stuff they adapt today in it, but it's just so damn good.

I could see Vagabond being a really damn long adaptation, but c'mon, Real (by Takehiko Inoue) should clearly be adapted. Fill that seinen hole in a season easily. I suppose there's an issue with the manga coming out at a snail's pace, but Slam Dunk was even longer than that (of course, Slam Dunk was a SJ series too)

With the rise of more cerebral and dark series, I'd also love to see Ikigami get an adaptation. Its story format is practically designed to adapt itself, with short arcs (two a volume), you've got an easy 20 episode series right there. Also in the same idea of darker stuff for older audiences would be ES: Eternal Sabbath (I'm rather surprised that the only anime adaptation Fuyumi Soryo has ever had was a movie in the 90s based on an 80s shojo)

On the subject of "things kind of like Berserk", Ubel Blatt would be a fantastic choice (it even has elf lolis everywhere, if that would help its chances). It would have fantastic action and a revenge driven storyline, and this manga is still ongoing, so making an anime to justify more manga sales actually makes a lot of sense on this one. Also ongoing is Wolfsmund, from an artist who was an assistant to Kentaro Miura. And it does have one complete arc that would work well for a test run (though we'll be ending it on a cliffhanger)

I could name more, but I think these will do for now.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
The interesting thing is, is that I'd argue that Nishikiori's anime adaptation of Azumanga Daioh actually improves upon the manga in various ways (here I'll also mention that I think Nishikiori also accomplished the same thing with Angelica Layer). Most notably, as Mike mentions, in its manipulation of the scattershot 4koma vignettes into coherent narrative arcs, but perhaps more significantly in its presentation of the material as far as the wholesale creation of pacing and atmosphere that is hardly present in the original manga due to the 4koma format.

The AzD Very Short Movie, which actually looks like the anime test pilot, seems to be the first attempt taken more directly from the manga (or at least not in the same direction than the series managed), and not as good.
Chiyo looks too old, the gags are faster and gaggier--possibly from being crammed into the short--and the lines are pushed straight, without the long four-panel silences and serene thoughtfully-mused deadpan that we later got in the anime series.
If the first attempt was a straight-off-the-print attempt to adapt the manga, it wasn't as good as the later successful attempt.

Some anime series are very much improved by how far the animator improvised off the source--Urusei Yatsura and Kodocha LEAP to mind--and whatever Azuma might have thought about the anime adaptation, fair to say he's in the minority.

As for Yotsuba&!, haven't read the manga as everything I've been able to see of it says "retread": Yotsuba looks and talks like Chiyo and Osaka did a DBZ fusion, and even the title seems to bring back AzD's "A!" trademark.
Rumiko Takahashi was accused of just rewriting UY into Ranma, Ranma into InuYasha, and InuYasha into Rin-Ne, but there's rewriting, and then there's rewriting...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6