• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Awesome Unadapted Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Real by Inoue and ib instant bullet by Akasaka Aka are the 2 mangas I'd die to see animated, both are incredible masterpieces.

I keep wondering why so many barely popular/good mangas get animated nowadays while some true gems never get any attention.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Song of the Hanging Sky.

I will always be sad about how unlikely it is we'll ever see a Song of the Hanging Sky adaptation.

Provided, it's about the last days of a tribe of bird-people in WWII Germany, with more inter-personal politics than the pseudo-Nietzschian themes and giant people-eaters people are used to, and the beautiful landscapes and native-american-esque costumes worn by the cast would be hard to properly adapt (it's a beautiful series), but it's such a melancholy story that it's hard not to recommend. It's a great little fantasy series with a mature bend to it.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
If Yotsuba&! was about a 15-16 year old, it would have been adapted.

Nope.
Mangaka did not want an anime of it.
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
I could see Netflix producing an anime adaptation of Vinland Saga. That is a perfect series for that platform. I'd add Dorohedoro to list,though is a series that I can't see any producer touching for a number of reasons.

Dorohedoro is one of those series that should never get an anime. The crazy style of the manga and the art in general could never be transitioned well to the screen.

I immensely enjoy both mediums, and I think other people should give manga a shot, too. Not all manga out there are underachievers for not having an anime. There are plenty of manga that wouldn't work well as anime, which is why I believe more people need to appreciate the medium more instead of looking at anime as the superior. Yes, I agree that 99% of the time I like to see things with sound, color, and motion. But, more often than not the written material is the source material, straight from the creator's mind. There's something to be said for that.

Nonetheless, I like to view the two mediums as completely separate, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. But, manga definitely needs to be appreciated as just manga more often.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
I absolutely adore the unadapted manga +Anima, a story of kids with animal powers journeying across a vaguely Wild West-themed fantasy kingdom. It's adventuresome, charming, creative, and cute all rolled into one. It's a shame creator Natsumi Mukai didn't go on to write more series. She had talent.

Come to think of it, I still need to track down a few remaining +Anima volumes to complete my set. Thankfully it's below-average popularity means Rightstuff still has a few of the old Tokyopop books stocked. Volume 10 is going for rather steep prices on the secondhand market, though.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:42 am Reply with quote
heinrichk.05 wrote:
Actually, it did get an OVA.

OVA adapts the original Hori-san to Miyamura-kan web comic, not the Horimiya manga. The web comic was more of a comedy, and the character designs for the OVA are based on the web comic's designs. That's why they look nothing like the manga's characters.

From what I can gather, Horimiya is more focused on the romance, while the original is more focused on the comedy.

trilaan wrote:
If you're looking for a Wholesome Crossdresser anime there's always I, My, Me, Strawberry Eggs

Never heard of this. Oh, what a handsome woman! Laughing

I may check this series out.

Dop.L wrote:
Came here to mention Love Roma, found I'm not the only one!

You're now the 3rd person I know of that knows this series. And I include myself in that count. The other person is someone from Twitter who suggested the manga. Laughing
Nojay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
[quote="Dop.L"]
Ali07 wrote:

Came here to mention Love Roma, found I'm not the only one!

Always thought that would make a great 13 episode anime, as it's a good high-school romcom that doesn't beat around the bush but gets right to the point. Great fun and one of the more down to earth romantic comedies.

I liked it too because it subverts the "boy is too shy to be honest with the girl he likes" trope but it's a one-joke manga because of that and I'm not sure it could carry a complete anime series.

It was licenced by Del Rey for an English-language publication if you want to reward the author for at least trying something a little different. Buy the books!
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
I don't care much for the My Hime and My Otome animes but I really enjoyed the gender bending My Otome manga and I wish that had an anime version.

I'd also love an anime adaptation of, not a manga, but an older light novel series titled: A Record of the Delfinian War. Now THERE'S something that will likely never happen. NOTE: Yeah, I want this because I have the novel series, but it's all in Japanese and, so far, I have NOT found the fortitude to learn how to read Japanese!
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
@Ali07, don't worry, there are more of us out there! I bought every volume of Love Roma as it was being released in English :) I'm glad others are still remembering and discovering it and that it hasn't been completely buried in obscurity.

Speaking of obscure, I can't remember the last time I heard Song of the Hanging Sky mentioned. The two volumes we got in English were really fascinating and lovely, though.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Animal Land is an interesting series from Makoto Raiku that I think will never get an adaption because it's too.... odd. At times it feels a story for little kids but then it escalates to a much more brutal series both in how beat up and bloody the characters get and what actually happens in story. Also It has zero marketability.

I always thought it was a shame none of Mizukami's works never got popular beyond a cult following in Japan because I'd love to see one of his stories brought to anime. They're the most anime thing I've ever seen in a manga but with a bluntness and quality to them that actually makes them worth while on a narrative level.

It's for the best Pokespe never gets an anime I suppose. When you look at a lot of the battles they sort of don't make sense in spite of being kind of rule of cool (or as cool as a series aimed at elementary school kids can be without being cringy.)

For as much as fans of manga that get an anime get flack for being overly nitpicky about little details, it sort of makes sense when you consider the medium difference. The pace in which you read and how you interpret the tone of any given scene varies from person to person and it can become a much more personal experience than having to follow how a director wants you to feel about a certain scene. That's not to say you can't have that kind of experience with anime, narrative and theme interpretations can happen in any medium, but little things like how you read a joke or how a panel is layed out or connected with the other panels can really make an impact. Then there's the fact that Manga is a more illustrative medium and even the most detailed anime series tend to strive for simplicity for movement. Which I have no problem with, but take a lot at some pages from the One Punch Man the manga and then the anime. I love both versions but they're visually great for very separate reasons.

I wanted to post here before the column got completely lost in the backlog because I love a good manga as much as I love a good anime original project.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
@Ali07

Another person here who bought and read Love Roma. It has been awhile since that was offered here. I'll have to dig that one out and check it again.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
^^I'm happy to see another fan!

Nojay wrote:
I liked it too because it subverts the "boy is too shy to be honest with the girl he likes" trope but it's a one-joke manga because of that and I'm not sure it could carry a complete anime series.

Oh, that is something I'm unsure of. The humor, for me, was good enough to carry it for 5 volumes. 4-5 volumes of manga can usually make 12 episodes of anime.

Nojay wrote:
It was licenced by Del Rey for an English-language publication if you want to reward the author for at least trying something a little different. Buy the books!

Yep, I own the volumes (you can see my collection on the currently Shelf Life). Sadly, since it is an older series and out of print, can't reward the author, as whatever you can find is used.

Though, I was lucky, and I actually bought the whole series new (all the volumes were shrink wrapped) due to a comic book shop still having the series on their manga shelves. Laughing

lys wrote:
@Ali07, don't worry, there are more of us out there! I bought every volume of Love Roma as it was being released in English Smile I'm glad others are still remembering and discovering it and that it hasn't been completely buried in obscurity.

Nice to see some more fans coming out of the woodwork. Laughing
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:

The interesting thing is, is that I'd argue that Nishikiori's anime adaptation of Azumanga Daioh actually improves upon the manga in various ways (here I'll also mention that I think Nishikiori also accomplished the same thing with Angelica Layer).

I completely agree here. The Anime adaption of Azumanga Daioh makes it coherent instead of just newspaper-style funnies. Further, I didn't even like the Manga for Angelic Layer. I didn't realize, somehow, that the superior Anime adaptions of both was the result of the same person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, I'd love an Anime adaption for Pluto. The downbeat dour interpretation of Astro Boy is excellent and Monster was fantastic. On the other hand, Monster as an Anime is a very hard sell, I'd say, and I can see how Pluto would never happen - though there is definitely value in how the story is told and how the familiar characters are interpreted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I got Love Roma out of the library years ago and really liked it. I wonder if the volumes are still about...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6