• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Baccano! License to Expire in February

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEO9875

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
Oh fudge... First Darker than Black... now this?
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
Wow, they are losing a lot of their big hits all at once...
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
Does this mean it's going out-of-print or will it just default to Aniplex like Gurren Lagann did from Bandai?

Could this be an opportunity for Toonami to finally pick it up?
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
In before the shitstorm.

But seriously, talk about insult to injury. If FMA goes too, I expect riots at Aniplex of America headquarters.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:37 am Reply with quote
Lol I always thought that Aniplex and Funimaton had a rather close bond. Yea of course they are orginal Aniplex (Japan) titles. Im a litle bit disapointed that Aniplex is being a bitch, Funimation produced one of the best dubs for those major series.

To be honest im worried about Baccano possibly sequel. Durarara 3rd course has just started of S2. Im putting my money on that after Durarara is finished they gonna make S2 of Baccano. And if they do so, who will the VA be then? It's not like AoA really has a own dubbing studio right? I hope if s2 wil be made they go to Funimation for recording the dub.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
Aniplex is trying to get back every title they don't currently have. Buy up anything of there's that you want while it's still at a reasonable price. This is list everything Aniplex is involved in, according to MAL: http://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/17?page=4

I'm not certain which of these they could let the license for, but if you are a fan of any of those titles and a release is available at a reasonable price now, I suggest picking it up while you can. More stuff will be expiring in the coming months and years, and I only hope we are alerted to with posts like this.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
I just hope AoA does something with all the titles they are doing this too and still work with Funimation for stuff when needed, like bringing back VAs to do a role. Don't let things sit around. Sad
IdeaOfEvil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
How does this news translate into the series being re-released on Bluray so I don't have to pay after market prices and/or buy it on other regioned discs?
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
I just hope AoA does something with all the titles they are doing this too and still work with Funimation for stuff when needed, like bringing back VAs to do a role. Don't let things sit around. Sad
I think Aniplex first gonna wait a few years before they release it to the market again. And ask ridiculus prices.
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
Anime is a dying market in the west, and Aniplex is dead-set on being the one to bury it.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
Totally saw this one coming from a mile away and it's only going to get worse from here. Sad

Last edited by AnimeLordLuis on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
IdeaOfEvil wrote:
How does this news translate into the series being re-released on Bluray so I don't have to pay after market prices and/or buy it on other regioned discs?

FUNi never had Blu-ray rights to begin with, so it likely has no bearing on that at all. AoA did their own BD release while FUNi still held DVD/streaming rights after all. But they don't often re-release their titles until several years down the road, so who knows when (or if) they intend to do another BD release, though I would guess we'll see one eventually.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
Oh Hell no...i am going to get my copy now before it sky rockets....also im going to check all of the aniplex titles that funimation has and get the ones that i enjoy before they expire....this is getting to be a problem.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
Percival King wrote:
Anime is a dying market in the west, and Aniplex is dead-set on being the one to bury it.

Not really. More shows are being licensed than ever, simulcasts are considered the norm and Funimation started doing broadcast dubs. Those are not the signs of a dying market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
IdeaOfEvil wrote:

FUNi never had Blu-ray rights to begin with, so it likely has no bearing on that at all. AoA did their own BD release while FUNi still held DVD/streaming rights after all. But they don't often re-release their titles until several years down the road, so who knows when (or if) they intend to do another BD release, though I would guess we'll see one eventually.

Techincally there is already a blu ray release for baccano but its from anime limited in the uk..so unless you have a region free or region b blu ray..u cant watch it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4