• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Delay of Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bathory67

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
To everyone Todd is not a game player,he just an S.J.W writer who wants everything cater to him.

FE mini game should be there and it is up to you to buy it or not.His job is to research and give incite to the game itself. not to write a blog.

Todd is a S.J.W just like Hope Champman.I do enjoy listening to hope(jesotaku) but both of their job is to report on anime and not put their political ideologies in them

Edit:just added the dots.

Last edited by Bathory67 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Bathory67

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
The duty of journalists is to tell the truth. Journalism means you go back to the actual facts, you look at the documents, you discover what the record is, and you report it that way.
— Noam Chomsky

This is what a journalist is to the one who said it about their opinon.

Also my god my last post was changed form S.J.W to a person I disagree with.funny as Kaley Couco
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
I'm also displeased with how Nintendo's handling it...the whole "keep quiet, disable Youtube comments, and hope as few people catch on until after the game's been released." My frame of reference is JAST USA, who have always been totally upfront about content cuts from their games, well before the release dates. We should have known about this months ago, but Nintendo has to play damage control and hide things from the consumer.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
To make matters worse Nintendo just made the Japanese direct video which showcased the feature last year in Japan private, effectively erasing any trace of it from their YouTube channel. If we start seeing fan videos being taken down we can safely assume Nintendo is going full revisionist history on this subject. Official statement might end up being "What touching minigame?" Extremely disappointed in Nintendo for this. I'm not sure if Nintend of America has access to the Japanese YouTube channel or they asked Nintendo of Japan to remove the video but either way it's a very awful thing to do, and I don't see how anyone could defend such practices even if they disagree on the content
Zerreth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
On the one hand, the face-petting feature was weird to begin with, and it got more than a little unnerving in the Japanese edition of Fates, particularly when players could suggestively tweak the noses and pinch the cheeks of their step-siblings and blood relatives. The game's better off without that subtext.

Quote:
... couldn't restrict the flirty face-pokes to character interactions less likely to creep out the player.

I think this is going to be the last X button I read. I've been an avid reader since the first article because the mix of humor with news was interesting along with the occasional analysis but over the past few months or so it's been worrying that I'm seeing more of "my opinion is fact and it's definitively everyone's view" statements that are pushing me away.

Having an opinion and articulating that is fine, but dictating that as absolute and having such statements fly past the editors without issue is more troubling to me than the content it's addressing.

On another note closer related to the topic on hand, Nintendo of America (and also its parent company) have pretty much dropped the ball since the Wii U and are kicking it around as they fumble to try and pick it up. From their backwards software rights management system to their hardware decisions, I've been getting more and more discouraged wanting to purchase anything Nintendo.

Their handling of the "new" 3DSes and public relations handling of it was a circus act ("We're only releasing XL versions of the new ones because we think people would be confused with the names. But actually, we're going to bundle the regular sized one with the new animal crossing bundle!") Then, their efforts to maintain a "family-friendly" branding while oddly pushing for isolated cases that are completely contrary to it baffles me.

And then there's my personal issue with how they're dealing with anything physical, whether it's consoles, games, or accessories. It's getting really tiring having to through extremely roundabout ways to purchase what I want that I might just drop Nintendo products. My loss I guess.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
@ Zerreth

Its the author's opinion and not facts whatsoever. You're not going to see every article, review, etc keep saying "IMO" every other sentence. Its implied that its an opinion when having types of articles like this, and one's free to state how they feel on the subject they are talking about.

As for the petting thing, I guess I'm a bit disappointed in how Nintendo is handling it. Had they have been upfront from the start, things could have been handled differently in terms of company and fan relations. We have other examples of companies like Atlus, NISA, etc saying what they censored and sometimes with an explanation not too long after they announced localization of a game.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

That's just a few map and it makes sense storewide, not sure why that's stupid.

Because keeping players from seeing the entire layout of a map simply to shroud it completely in darkness is plain stupid and apparently Intelligent Systems came to the same conclusion as they tweaked FOW in future games by having it simply having it grey out the maps instead of completely blackening the layout of them out.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

If I recall correctly, and I can't find where I read this, it's happened at least as early as Sonic 3, which was originally going to have the Sonic & Knuckles content, but they weren't closed to finished, so they released the stages finished instead, putting the rest of it into Sonic & Knuckles. Considering just how massive Sonic was back in its day, SEGA would've allowed them to have an extra-big cartridge anyway.

This is true though to Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles credit they were good games even in spite of the fact they were supposed be one game originally.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Sonic 2006 was a case where development was constantly being asked to go to events and show what they had rather than working on the game, and the release got pushed forward to get to the 2006 holiday season on platforms the SEGA programmers were not yet used to.

And it's in part for that very reason why every new Sonic game that comes out seems less ambitious and more cheap looking.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

As for the non-Sonic stuff, I'm not really sure what they could've done. I don't think the flaws in games like NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams or Aliens: Colonial Marines could've been easily fixed with more development time.

I don't know about the story behind the development of the Wii Nights game but the development "Colonial Marines" was a comedy errors that involved the game getting delayed numerous times, having Gearbox allegedly shifting resources away from the game to work on another, and Sega themselves getting tired of GB's s**t leading to them apparently handing off the game to be worked on by another development studio who didn't know what they were doing.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

If I recall correctly, and I can't find where I read this, it's happened at least as early as Sonic 3, which was originally going to have the Sonic & Knuckles content, but they weren't closed to finished, so they released the stages finished instead, putting the rest of it into Sonic & Knuckles. Considering just how massive Sonic was back in its day, SEGA would've allowed them to have an extra-big cartridge anyway.

This is incorrect. Sonic 3 was supposed to be one huge game, but the Genesis cartridges didn't have enough space for the game. Producing a larger-capacity cartridge was out of the question (too expensive to recoup costs), so Sonic Team decided to split it into Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, letting the former connect to the latter's cartridge to form the true Sonic 3.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
All right then. The lock-on cartirdge system would've been a workaround for that then, I presume?

It's kind of a shame that Sonic's reputation had caught up to him right when the games were finally climbing out of the hole with Sonic Generations.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

It's kind of a shame that Sonic's reputation had caught up to him right when the games were finally climbing out of the hole with Sonic Generations.

More like Sega's reputation for wasteful spending of money caught up with them (again).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Star Citizen is shaping up to be the most bloated game I've ever seen. Every time I hear about more money being pumped into this game the more it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Chris Roberts may need to go in hiding if this game bombs. This is like Battlecruiser 3000AD all over again (for all the older folks out there).

Yup, which makes it all the more delicious that Derek Smart, Ph.D. (oh crap he'll be posting here any second now) is one of the most outspoken critics of the project. Coupled with the fact that he and the Goons are on the same side, it's just asking to grab some popcorn and hold on for the ride.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
Personally I'll be happy if Star Citizen turns out to be glorified version of Star/Freelancer, I don't think Roberts, or anyone else for that matter, is capable of delivering what was promised.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:03 am Reply with quote
Investing the resources for other "Mighty No. 9" projects can distract them from focusing on the game. One reason is that if the game was a flop, investing in a TV show could be a bad business decision. I think the decision to start making the anime should have been a few months after the game was actually released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4