• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lord Krishna in Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final Gets Negative Reception from Hindu Statesman

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a fairly valid complaint, although the whole fedora and gangster comparison is stretching it a little bit.
Derook

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Get over it. I doubt your almighty imaginary friend cares what they look like in a video game where every mythical entity is portrayed in some weird or stylized way.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Except this is a game series that has been turning religious deities into "catch em all" monsters for DECADES.

The only solution is to make a draconic ban of material seen as blasphemous, obviously it makes you look like a religious nut job but I guess such actions means it isn't too far from the truth.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Fedora? Gangsters?

Wrong era, this is not the 20's and 30's, fedora are associated with geeks now and is perfectly harmless and maybe hilarious to normies. Your head needs to come into the 21st century please.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Dude's exercising his free speech, there's no need to get huffy about it. As far as the article describes, at no point did he say anything stronger than "hey, that's pretty offensive, try harder".

Though I am curious to read the actual statement, which doesn't seem to be linked anywhere in the article.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Shin Megami Tensei kinda throw all religions into a blender, anyway?
Savion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"He asked for more sensitivity and welcomed the entertainment business to contact Hindu scholars if they wanted information to depict the religion in a serious and respectful manner."

From what I read no where in the article did he call for an outright ban. His beliefs are obviously important to him and I don't feel like a simple request like this warrants such negative almost insulting tones from some responders lol.

I mean people get upset when their favorite character gets portrayed badly (or even differently)in a show all the time so imagine someone's shock when their diety is done like like that.
I think encouraging creators to learn more as much as they can about whatever culture or religion they're drawing from is an excellent thing, even if they still take creative liberties. Although, the SMT series is good about this from what I heard but not sure.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Unlike most complaints towards the gaming industry for their portrayal of certain figures, I actually think he has a legitimate reason for the complaint. And it's not one of those 'outrage' complaints that we're used to seeing. He only wants to see his religious figures depicted reasonably faithful to Hinduism.

It's good to see that he isn't attempting to get the character banned. The people who don't want ANY religious figures represented in entertainment (unless they're benefited) are the worst.

The fedora thing is funny. It's definitely a stretch, though I could see where he's coming from.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Guess what, you can manipulate and control Satan in the Shin Megami Tensei games too. Just shut up and get over it.

I am so tired of everyone getting offended over everything. F*ck off, nobody is aiming anything at anybody to offend, just leave entertainment alone and stop looking to stir shit where there is nothing to stir.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The ultimate irony is that the past couple of times an article about religious people being offended by a portrayal/use of their religion in an anime, most of the comments are... people getting offended about the article.

I don't have any opinion on how they use the deity in the game really, but you guys have to understand that hey, religion is important to people and it can be really frustrating for some to see their respective Gods or mythologies twisted in some arbitrary way. Heck, since SMT leans so heavily on all types of mythology the fact that this guy just asked for more sensitivity and invited the entertainment industry to contact Hindu scholars could only help the series, since a stronger portrayal could strengthen the character or story.

The "they've it to every religion for decades" thing is pretty irrelevant - Again I don't have any issue with how SMT runs things, but I have no idea why people think that's supposed to make everything absolutely okay for everyone.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
If there's any bright side to this complaint, at least it was out of legitimate concern instead of feigned outrage. However, I think the claim of fedoras being associated with gangsters might be stretching it a bit.
sillyriri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Guess what, you can manipulate and control Satan in the Shin Megami Tensei games too. Just shut up and get over it.

I am so tired of everyone getting offended over everything. F*ck off, nobody is aiming anything at anybody to offend, just leave entertainment alone and stop looking to stir shit where there is nothing to stir.

Funnily enough, this kind of response seems far more upset and offended than his polite criticism.

I think it's a fair enough complaint. Criticism of media is what leads to improvement. It's just as legitimate to criticise characters and depictions of religious figures as elements like gameplay, so unless we'd also like to decide that that's also people looking to be upset, there's no issue.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Its kinda his job to complain about this stuff. Not really worried. if he didn't say anything he wouldn't be doing his job,
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:

Though I am curious to read the actual statement, which doesn't seem to be linked anywhere in the article.

It's on the same page as here: http://www.rajanzed.org/about/ but I'll save you an extra click:

http://www.rajanzed.org/upset-hindus-urge-sega-for-removal-of-lord-krishna-from-video-game/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
That's a trilby. A fedora has a wider brim.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3