• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lord Krishna in Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final Gets Negative Reception from Hindu Statesman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I find this odd that this complaint has came about now consider how many deities from all pantheons are depicted in the franchise and most are free depictions of the actual deities. But they are sometimes close.

In Shin Megami Tenshi Brahman isn't even depicted as what he should be. Or Hara-Kiri. The one I do see that stays the same is the giant multi-headed hydra Shesha. He never changes.

Well, at least the feather in his hat is yellow and he's got his flute. Anyone that knows Krishna is that he's blues skinned but he wears yellow.

I still see it as harmless, but if it's offending the religion...then I guess they can either remove it or the game doesn't get ported there.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Except this is a game series that has been turning religious deities into "catch em all" monsters for DECADES.

The only solution is to make a draconic ban of material seen as blasphemous, obviously it makes you look like a religious nut job but I guess such actions means it isn't too far from the truth.

Complaints about SMT just geek-referencing any world-mythology figure their Japanese developers haven't heard of (no complaints from the Genosha worshippers?) may not in itself be the complaint of a persecution-complexed religious nutjob who wants to demand cultural validation by banning any popular reference whatsoever...
Saying Apocalypse is Hindu (who, in addition to not actually being a god, is EGYPTIAN), just for being blue, is.

And "gangster" fedora aside, Krishna doesn't appear to come off all that badly--Thought the complaint was going to be that he was one of the "fierce" demon-monsters, which Hindu religion says he isn't.
Although granted, all I know about Krishna, apart from the old airport days, is seeing the N-tieth versions of his story from imported Bollywood CGI kiddy movies. So, apparently, he does play a flute, even if he doesn't wear a hat.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
sillyriri wrote:

I think it's a fair enough complaint. Criticism of media is what leads to improvement.

Oh so hollywood is going to start making less sequels, adaptations, & remakes. Along with no longer pumping out the newest piece of reality TV nonsense?

Hagaren Viper wrote:

I don't have any opinion on how they use the deity in the game really, but you guys have to understand that hey, religion is important to people and it can be really frustrating for some to see their respective Gods or mythologies twisted in some arbitrary way.

Actually some of us do understand it the thing you seem to be missing though is that historically some people tend to take how their religion or religions figures are portrayed in a public setting a bit too seriously.

Hagaren Viper wrote:
Heck, since SMT leans so heavily on all types of mythology the fact that this guy just asked for more sensitivity and invited the entertainment industry to contact Hindu scholars could only help the series, since a stronger portrayal could strengthen the character or story.

Yeah I don't think Atlus is going to turn around and make Krishna a non playable character in future games simply because one guy complained it....changing the design? maybe given how the designs of the demons change every few games or so.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
"Now, hold on everyone..."

The sound of furniture being moved around can be heard, along with the occasional grunt.

"I know I had one around here somewhere. Where the heck is it?"

More clatter: pans, drawers being opened and shut, various strange thumps.

"I guess not. Sorry, but I just can't find a damn to give to this guy. Maybe next time. Or... maybe not."
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Some people just get too much free time to dig on something like this. Just be thankful the Hindu deities don't end up portrayed as some scantily clad moe girls.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with the complaint, but like some have said these games depict multiple gods and a lot of them are not flattering. Hell Yhweh, the Judeo-Christian-Muslim God is depicted as an outright villain, with Lucifer being more sympathetic from what I recall.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
I was waiting for someone to complain about this series, sooner or later, and it finally happened. Is it the first time?
I'm not familiar with Shin Megami Tensei yet, but I'm planning to play a game of the series soon, so I don't know about any possible "problem" caused by it in the past.

Anyway, I'll just say that people--any people--complaining about how a mythological character is interpreted and depicted in fiction shouldn't be taken seriously. If for nothing else, because a game isn't made with the purpose to teach anything (or, at least, that isn't the main purpose of the media unless stated by the developers).
Furthermore, just to clarify my point of view, to me any religion or any kind of supernatural being or event is always mythology. To say it all, the whole natural/supernatural dichotomy doesn't really make sense: what exists is inherently natural, something to study (with a scientific method, of course keeping in mind its limits--or better, the limits of the human brain) and to learn from, not something/someone to blindly believe to or, worse, worship.

However, to understand what I wrote people should study philosophy, history (centuries of both), and other subjects, and that isn't an easy thing to do--especially if we consider social pressure and the natural human fear for the unknown.
That said, I can understand hoping for a better world after death and things like that, but the key word here is "hoping". Actually "believing" in that, and even worse having the arrogance to impose and force your not-demonstrable beliefs on other people, well, that is madness to put it lightly, and in the worst cases malice to get control over whole people and nations. In this particular case, even if this religious leader sounds moderate, can we be sure that, if they had the power to censure the game, they wouldn't do it?

Sorry about the rant... When I read news like this I don't usually comment, but sometimes I just need to. ^^'
By the way, I hope I didn't go too OT; if I did, I apologize with the mods (of course, feel free to cut/delete my comment as you may find necessary).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

I don't have any opinion on how they use the deity in the game really, but you guys have to understand that hey, religion is important to people and it can be really frustrating for some to see their respective Gods or mythologies twisted in some arbitrary way. Heck, since SMT leans so heavily on all types of mythology the fact that this guy just asked for more sensitivity and invited the entertainment industry to contact Hindu scholars could only help the series, since a stronger portrayal could strengthen the character or story.

Heheh, to some people, anime is their religion, and waifu is their deity. Goodness knows what those people would do if their religion and deity aren't portrayed how they'd like them to be portrayed. Hey, I hear Hollywood is considering a Hatsune Miku adaptation - Hatsune Miku is whatever ya make her out to be, probably a Caucasian valley girl! Laughing
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Mexican Batman wrote:
That's a trilby. A fedora has a wider brim.

Not like you'd expect people these days to actually acknowledge the difference between a fedora and a trilby.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
He must be new to the MegaTen series. There has always been the mix of religious and the occult in each.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
Reinterpretation of religion is kind of the foundation of storytelling itself. That said, there's no need for weebs to explode over this guy. He would have a point in other contexts, just not SMT's.

SMT's heavily delved into hinduism so as a whole it definitely knows HOW to accurately portray it, it just prefers to add something new. Like in Digital Devil Saga which is basically Hinduism + Cyberpunk.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
Some of the reactions here are so hypocritical and over the top. It's nice to know there feels like a larger number of rational people though (and mention that come of these reactions are way more overdone than his criticism).

I love SMT and its related/spin-off titles, but I have questioned its handling and portrayal of certain. . . okay, most religious and mythical figures. Interpretation can be nice and productive, but when you're using someone else's culture and/or religion (or even if it's your own), you should be respectful in portraying it. And to a point, why reference or use something if you're just doing it loosely and going completely opposite of its established characteristics anyway? (Like when people "claim" satire of something, but it's obvious they just wanted to poke fun at something, but overdo it.)
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
If he thinks this is bad then I recommend that he never watch The Simpsons especially the episodes mostly focused on Apu. Rolling Eyes
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
Some of the reactions here are so hypocritical and over the top. It's nice to know there feels like a larger number of rational people though (and mention that come of these reactions are way more overdone than his criticism).

Same here. He isn't calling for a boycott of Atlus or suggesting people storm their offices. He's doesn't like how his religion is portrayed and he's entitled to his opinion. What's offensive and what's not works both ways. I have to say, it is pretty funny that somebody finally complained about all the deities and mythological creatures in MegaTen. The series has been doing this since the 80's and nobody has a problem with it until 30 years later, lol.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
Oh hey, India is now going after Coldplay and Beyonce's new music video:

Why India's annoyed with Coldplay and Beyoncé's new video

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3