• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lord Krishna in Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final Gets Negative Reception from Hindu Statesman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rensie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:32 am Reply with quote
People always complain about futile things just to get attention, what a degrading world we live in.
Tallis Latif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:55 am Reply with quote
Having read the full article, I doubt they have a lot of knowledge about the Shin Megami Tensei series as a whole. For starters, the rest of the Hindu gods have it much worst in the game. They're all fusion fodder like every other demon and I'd assume many of them are going to be common enemies you slaughter hundreds of. That seems a lot worst than being a human character wearing a trilby we who has a complete will of his own.

Really, the game isn't even out yet. For all we know he'll be able to transform into a more authentic form. You see a lot of demons hiding as wolfs in sheep's clothing in IV.

Sariachan wrote:
If for nothing else, because a game isn't made with the purpose to teach anything (or, at least, that isn't the main purpose of the media unless stated by the developers).
If the Shin Megami Tensei original series games have a lesson, it's to avoid extremes. In most endings you're pretty much the villain. It's like they try to tell you to not think the way their characters want you to think unless you're willing to accept the consequences. But they all have valid reasons for their beliefs.

Now Persona games on the other hand have obvious messages, rewards, and heroism, but they're more about emotional intelligence than extremes.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
First, I'd like to suggest that some of the folks who have posted over-the-top reactions to this gentleman's rather civil critique to take a moment to reassess their views. They are insensitive, and abhorrently hypocritical in that they are perpetrating in starker terms the very things they are accusing this man of.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a person of faith asking that an outlet depicting that faith be more considerate in that depiction. I don't think the intent on either end is to offend, but if you never speak up about something that you think is wrong, there's no way it will ever change. I think comparing SMT's depiction of a Hindu deity to the depiction of Lucifer shows ignorance in the way in which the two religions of view these figures, not to mention Lucifer isn't even a deity by Christian standards to begin with.

I would also note that this is far from the first time SMT has been criticized by the practitioners of a given religion over their depiction of that religion's figures. I recall it happening a few years ago, though I don't recall which religion it was, and I'm all but certain this critique or ones like it have been levied constantly with each new iteration of addition to the series.

Further, I'd argue that it doesn't really matter how often this has happened or not. If it was the first time, then it's merely a minor error that should be addressed in a reasonable fashion. If it's many times, then each instance should be reviewed and addressed as needed, though there might be some greater issues if a pattern develops in egregious terms.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Absurd.

SMT has always played it loose with gods being controlled and manipulated.

In fact, you can't even call SMT gods 'gods' in the same sense in our world. It is more like controlling fairies and avatars than the actual gods.

There is nothing legitimate about the complaint. Play the game and find out how it actually works before slandering the series like this.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Same here. He isn't calling for a boycott of Atlus or suggesting people storm their offices. He's doesn't like how his religion is portrayed and he's entitled to his opinion. What's offensive and what's not works both ways. I have to say, it is pretty funny that somebody finally complained about all the deities and mythological creatures in MegaTen. The series has been doing this since the 80's and nobody has a problem with it until 30 years later, lol.

Exactly. It's so funny that people don't even want him to voice an opinion on something that is relevant to him, but most people here don't have that same context/relation. But their feelings are more important, right?

I feel like most complaints have been from very small groups, or boiled down to one-off articles by not very important people. x');

[v] @ enurtsol : [/b] They are, but most people are voicing criticism of that, as they should be. I'm really disappointed in Beyonce for her part in that, but not surprised. It's tacky and depressing that they had an actual Bollywood actress in the video but wouldn't even let her play the Bollywood actress. If that isn't backwards, I don't even know.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
huh I'm actually surprised that this is the only instance of this that i've heard of at least. In the SMT universe Gods, demons, deities, etc. are all people in some way and can be either benevolent or malevolent based on the circumstances.

I've enjoyed it because it essentially humanizes inhuman characters but i do see why people with religious beliefs wouldn't want to humanize these characters in this way. Imagine if in a subquest of some SMT down the line they decide to use jesus as an antagonist who got eventually got angry with humans after 2 thousand years for not adhering to his teachings despite all he's done and or forgiven them for their previous sins.

Personally I'd enjoy a story like that (providing theres alot more substance to the story) but I'm sure alot of other people would find it sacrilegious.

Not to sure where I stand on this, I mean i don't want there to be any changes to the game but it's not like i want to just ignore this guys comments. I'd want him to understand that SMT is a complete work of fiction and is NOT an actual representation of how religious deities are actually portrayed but how religious deities COULD act if they were subject to the same vices as humans
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
ITT: Middle-Class people from the Western world getting offended that someone else is getting offended

Offense: it's only good when we take it!
Stan is the Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
I am not a Hindu. That being said, even to someone like me, depicting Krishna as a metrosexual is blasphemous enough to be a mortal sin. I am at least 75% sincere about that too.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
I think Atlus should apologize and as a consolation there should be a cutscene, Krishna steals the female characters' clothes, while they're swimming naked, because that would be much more accurate depiction of him.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
ITT: Middle-Class people from the Western world getting offended that someone else is getting offended

Offense: it's only good when we take it!

That's definitely how it goes. Especially with the gaming crowd lately. x'D
Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
I've enjoyed it because it essentially humanizes inhuman characters but i do see why people with religious beliefs wouldn't want to humanize these characters in this way. Imagine if in a subquest of some SMT down the line they decide to use jesus as an antagonist who got eventually got angry with humans after 2 thousand years for not adhering to his teachings despite all he's done and or forgiven them for their previous sins.

I might be out of the loop lately, but I don't think that Atlus recycles analogs in central roles in SMT. Jesus was already used in SMT II (Aleph being the Jesus analog, with Hiroko being the Virgin Mary). Aleph/Jesus got to fight YHVH, who was depicted as the very angry, disembodied head of a yellow-skinned Patrick Stewart.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Somewhere"]
Calsolum wrote:
Nope not me I don't understand his pretty much saying krishina should not be playable Because its against this man's faith, Me I'm crazy religious ( I have strong Muslim faith ) and if they used our God I would have no problems why Because

1. its a Game
2. japan dose the same to their gods
3. its always been this way

he should just grow the fudge up and deal with it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3