• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Six Lost Mysteries of Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Another day, another realization that the only two shows I really care about from Kyoani aren't licensed. I would ask why but that horse has been beaten so many times there's no point anymore.

I recall Gosick being like Nichijou in that they were licensed by bandai right before they went out of business, which as far as I'm concerned is nothing but the swiftest kick to the balls I've ever got as a guy who likes buying anime. All I can really do now is hope that it'll eventually happen, I mean Kyousogiga finally got licensed so, hopefully, it's only a matter of time.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Gosick was wonderful, managed to watch it on Crunchyroll before it was taken off, and the fact that no one was able to license rescue that one after Bandai fell through is heartbreaking. Granted, even Funimation hasn't managed to release all of the series they license rescued from Bandai yet, so I'll just keep on hoping that someone will pick this one up.

Hyouka, however, is always going to be a sore point for me. That series was wonderful, but the lack of an official release just tears me apart. I love owning the series I really enjoy and that one was up there with things like Steins;Gate, Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist for me (although in a much weirder, less dark way).
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Mōryō no Hako at number one, it truly deserves that place in this list. I seem to recall it took well over a year and three or maybe four sets of fansubbers to sub it (I suspect even in the present day it might not have made it to any of the legal streams).
The first episode was so misleading that the show was wrongly categorised at the start - even by ANN, I believe.

I wonder how better loved the show would have been had it had a wider audience.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
It's a joke that Hyouka hasn't been released overseas. It's a lovely series that truly deserves to be experienced by more people and I just don't understand why it hasn't been licensed yet. If Monogatari can work as a sub-only release, this can, so I await the day it's finally announced.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I think Gosick is one of the most underrated animes around, atleast thats how i feel when i check around about this anime...
Also wuts with that next poll for female half of it its Love Live Anime hyper, think they could have picked some other girls or were they too lazy to search for other girls anyway my pick wasnt there so just wrote it Razz
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, very weird that Real Drive was never picked up since it seemed like a solid enough anime. Maybe the unraveling in 2007 and 2008 just made everyone more wary, or maybe it was just simply passed over that easily. But since like 2011/2012, there's very little possibility that an anime doesn't at least get snagged up for streaming somewhere unless you have some weird complications or unforeseen reasons, so for people on top of their weekly shows not much can really be lost 'legally'.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I like mysteries, and this is a really good list. I love Hyouka, Shion no Oh and Gosick are both shows I've heard really good things about and already wanted to watch, and Top Secret and Moryo both sound really interesting, too - I'll have to add those to my list.

BlackPoint. wrote:
Also wuts with that next poll for female half of it its Love Live Anime hyper, think they could have picked some other girls or were they too lazy to search for other girls anyway my pick wasnt there so just wrote it Razz

Yeah, and my best Love Live girl is one of the only two who ISN'T currently an option. That's not where I went anyway, though - I added a write-in from a totally different (non-idol) series.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
1) Mystery anime never went out of "vogue." If it seemed that way, it was only because you weren't watching them.
2) I am 100%, absolutely, positively sure that "begs the question" does not mean what you think it means.
3) I see you trying to say Victorique was somehow based on Sherlock Holmes there... but instead it just makes it clear you've never read Holmes. The only thing that was even so much as a reference to Holmes was that stupid gimmick where she smoked a fake pipe to buy time while thinking. Otherwise, it's hard to imagine a character being more different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Hyōka is a series I always wished would see a stateside release. Fingers crossed it could still happen.

Thanks for the article!
daneandnori
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for remembering Real Drive and Mōryō no Hako! Both are really great shows that at times I felt I was the only one who ever watched them. Smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking this past Wednesday how strange it was that Real Drive hadn't been licensed for release over here since it has so much in common with Ghost in the Shell. Maybe the decision to make the women more realistic at a time when the western market needed to rely on the popularity of cute and marketable anime girls had something to do with it?

I'm still hopeful for a release of Hyouka and Gosick. The companies are well aware of their popularity, but maybe at this time their just waiting for the right price?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Most of these are vintage 2008 anime, so I assume the reason they were passed over for licensing is because, well, that's when the economy here basically crashed and everything slowed down drastically. It's no wonder our studios didn't want to take any financial risks during that time.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
joeydoa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the list - some more series to check out - Hyouka is great watched it twice, and Gosick is really wonderful too.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
Gosick was wonderful, managed to watch it on Crunchyroll before it was taken off, and the fact that no one was able to license rescue that one after Bandai fell through is heartbreaking.

http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/20880/gosick-series-collection-subtitled-edition

R4.

The first two novels were released by tokyopop -- good translation, too -- but good luck getting them now.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
daneandnori wrote:
Thank you for remembering Real Drive and Mōryō no Hako! Both are really great shows that at times I felt I was the only one who ever watched them. Smile

Yeah, I agree with everyone, this article reminded me how surprised I am that Real Drive never made it over.

I need to check out the other show.

It'd be cool if Gosick gets rescued some day, as a fan of studio Bones I enjoyed what I watched of it and the nice animation, and wouldn't mind picking it up some day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3