• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Six Lost Mysteries of Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
It is a real shame that Gosick was never licensed in the west..it is such an underated gem in my opinion.

I saw it last year and i own the R4 sub dvd released but due to its European setting and scenario it would have been better to have been dubbed too. i really hope one of the companies these dayse will license it and dub it.

At the very least license it in the west so more people will know of it.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
I have never heard of Real Drive, definitely looking into that.

Added Vash the Stampede to the poll, that man goes through so much he really needs to know some out there cares.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching shion no ou because the manga was classified as yuri for certian things that happen in early chapters, all red herrings >.<. still it was a nice budget mistery even if I was mistaken about the yuri element. tho, saiyng that go is a male domninated sport is weird, since the male and female leagues are separated, though like other sports, the males seem to make more money.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Mōryō no Hako!
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
You say that Hyouka, Nichijou, and Sora o Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai are the only non-licensed KyoAni anime, but I should probably tell you that Musaigen no Phantom World hasn't been licensed, either. I know that it's currently airing, but that still doesn't change the fact that it hasn't been licensed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:54 am Reply with quote
A big issue, beyond trying to market it, is trying to get the rights. The Japanese are very protective of their properties.

However, refusing to allow foreign distribution doesn't help fight piracy/copyright infringement. On the bright side, after we wait many decades, eventually it becomes public domain.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:37 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
I wonder if the "add" feature is working properly? I don't see your entry for Yui, and my write-in entry (Food Wars' Megumi Tadokoro) is still sitting in the "others" box when I bring it up, even though I supposedly "added" it like 8 hours ago.

I decided to have a look, and it seems like my vote for Yui is in the same boat...

errinundra wrote:

Are we expecting Madman to get more stock though? I mean, people can just head over to JB Hi-Fi's website (yes, the deliver internationally) to grab a copy...but I don't know if Madman will actually have more copies in the future.

MischievousMelody wrote:
but I should probably tell you that Musaigen no Phantom World hasn't been licensed, either. I know that it's currently airing, but that still doesn't change the fact that it hasn't been licensed.

It's on Crunchy though...? Or do you mean that it hasn't been licensed for a disc release? At least it seems to be in a better position than Munto and Hyouka, where you can legally stream Phantom World. And, it's in a better position than Amagi Brilliant Park...which wasn't simulcast.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
It is a real shame that Gosick was never licensed in the west..it is such an underated gem in my opinion.

Gosick is still licensed by Madman in Australia.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:03 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

Good for fans in Australia, but the rest of the west is out of luck.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
It's a joke that Hyouka hasn't been released overseas. It's a lovely series that truly deserves to be experienced by more people and I just don't understand why it hasn't been licensed yet.

Animax Asia had a broadcast license. Subtitled-only, though.

TarsTarkas wrote:
omiya wrote:

Get a region-free DVD player, import from Australia. I import U.S. releases all the time.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
When Michiko & Hatchin got licensed years after the fact, I was really hoping something similar could happen for Real Drive. Part of me feels like RD was a victim of inaccurate marketing. It was described as a sci-fi techno thriller when really, it turned out to be a mostly episodic, almost slice of life bit of sci-fi. I enjoyed the show for that breeziness along with its characterization and overall production values. Holding on to my fansubs with hopes that maybe it'll one day get a Maiden Japan or Discotek release.

Nice to see a few other people expressing their fondness for it!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Now, there's this show which had potential but ultimately squashed it, Un-Go. It had interesting characters, slight touch of supernatural, and absolutely unacceptable number of episodes. It's ended up on cliffhanger and was forgotten for good after that. I wonder if second season was planned but ratings never gave it a chance to materialize.
What are you on about? That show was great, and it ended perfectly. It would of been great if it had more episodes, but it was given an ending, so that was not a problem.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Mouryou no Hako looks pretty good, I'm currently downloading Real Drive.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:11 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
omiya wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:
It is a real shame that Gosick was never licensed in the west

Did you not read what omiya was replying to? It was a specific reply to a specific statement.
Thespacemaster goes on in their original post to say they have the Australian DVDs. While the concept of "west" and "east" is somewhat fragmented, Australia is generally if not universally regarded as being part of the "Western World" and I don't think I've ever seen it regarded as being Eastern.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Top Secret sounds fascinating. So it was no surprise to me that my past self had already added it to my "want to see" list. Way to go, younger me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3