• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aichi Prefecture to Build Major Convention Center at Nagoya Airport

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing based on the original article, instead of 60 square kilometres, the figure was for the building to be 60,000 square metres (0.06 square kilometres) on a 28.7 hectare (287,000 square metre) site.

For the rest of the articles, I gather that the sizes quoted in square kilometres should instead be in thousands of square metres.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
It's a miracle, Comiket needs to be right there.
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Smart move.
Iggdrasil
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
If it is just to provide a place for Comiket during the Olympics a cheaper way would be to use already existing facilities somewhere in Greater Tokyo. After all, the Olympics will only be held in 2020.

I believe people won't adapt to having a famous event held in a different part of a country because of political reasons, so even if local politicians and construction agencies make big bucks building a fancy convention center next door to the local airport, they will not be successful if their aim is to permanently move the event to Nagoya.

The distance to the capital, and most likely, the majority of fans, mean one would have to take a plane (and have airport staff thoroughly check your doujinshi during scanning) or spend hours taking the train compared with just taking the subway. Personally, if I lived in Tokyo I would just drop it if I would have to travel half the country to get there, and alternatively I'd just buy whatever online.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to shake my head, take a bow and step back and enjoy the show with popcorn, saying not a single word about this...

(for anyone living in Japan, or in Aichi more than a week, you will understand my comment immediately)
fencer_x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Comiket is already crowded beyond imagination at Big Site, even stretched over three days. How is moving to Nagoya, to a space almost HALF the size, going to work at all?

People are already putting their foot down and saying going to Nagoya or Osaka is a no-go for them; who thought that making them not only travel further but ALSO squishing them into a tinier room, cheek to jowl with one another, was going to improve their odds of attending?

Unless they spread it out even more (which is unfeasible, since Comiket already takes advantage of extended national holidays of Obon and New Years; spreading it out to cover a week would mean forcing people to try and attend in the middle of the work week) or break it up across several buildings (HAH. Good luck if you have multiple fandoms several kilometers apart in different buildings; it's enough of a hassle just going between east and west halls in Big Sight), I don't see how they can possibly hold Comiket anywhere smaller than Big Sight.

If you're going to move the city, at least get similarly sized facilities??
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
Comiket is already crowded beyond imagination at Big Site, even stretched over three days. How is moving to Nagoya, to a space almost HALF the size, going to work at all?

People are already putting their foot down and saying going to Nagoya or Osaka is a no-go for them; who thought that making them not only travel further but ALSO squishing them into a tinier room, cheek to jowl with one another, was going to improve their odds of attending?

Unless they spread it out even more (which is unfeasible, since Comiket already takes advantage of extended national holidays of Obon and New Years; spreading it out to cover a week would mean forcing people to try and attend in the middle of the work week) or break it up across several buildings (HAH. Good luck if you have multiple fandoms several kilometers apart in different buildings; it's enough of a hassle just going between east and west halls in Big Sight), I don't see how they can possibly hold Comiket anywhere smaller than Big Sight.

If you're going to move the city, at least get similarly sized facilities??

There's also another factor that wasn't mentioned, will this be the permanent site or is this temporary to keep the Olympics from causing it to be cancelled in 2020 and the rest of 2019, the article is written like it will be a temporary solution than a permanent one and if it is then it's the best Japan can do, it's only if it's permanent meaning from 2021 onwards, then it will cause issues.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It's a miracle, Comiket needs to be right there.

I'll bet that rumors of Comiket wanting to go somewhere else had been drifting for a while. If so, at least one city would've stepped up to host it due to its immense size (and thus the immense amount of money the city would receive from it)

Iggdrasil wrote:
If it is just to provide a place for Comiket during the Olympics a cheaper way would be to use already existing facilities somewhere in Greater Tokyo. After all, the Olympics will only be held in 2020.

I believe people won't adapt to having a famous event held in a different part of a country because of political reasons, so even if local politicians and construction agencies make big bucks building a fancy convention center next door to the local airport, they will not be successful if their aim is to permanently move the event to Nagoya.

Even if it's temporary, I am certain Comiket is not the sole reason to build this thing. Hosting Comiket in 2020 will be a big deal, but no convention center can sustain itself through a single event, even if it's semiannual. I'm sure there are organizations in or near Nagoya that would like to host something too; this will be perfect for them,and I'm sure this convention center can sustain itself from them without Comiket.

Who knows? Maybe there'll be a second Comiket, kind of like how there are Comic-Cons all over the United States. That'd be one way to deal with the growing attendance size: Have multiple ones at different locations.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
Building a Convention Center Next to an Airport what are they Thinking? Do they not know how LOUD Airplanes can be. Confused
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
I'm just going to shake my head, take a bow and step back and enjoy the show with popcorn, saying not a single word about this...

(for anyone living in Japan, or in Aichi more than a week, you will understand my comment immediately)

I've lived in Aichi for more than a year now and I don't exactly understand what you mean.

Sadly, my stay here is over and I'll be heading out through this very airport in two days...
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
I live in a city that just had a huge convention center built in the last five years, and urban growth has become explosive. Restaurants, shopping plazas, luxury condos, hotels; I look at the skyline and see at least a dozen or so of those huge cranes, new buildings popping up like bean sprouts. Traffic is terrible, and major holidays or concerts completely shut down the city. I'm not trying to complain about any of this, but introducing one important variable has become such a catalyst for growth. My point is that a huge center Aichi can inspire more than just Comiket.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
I'm guessing based on the original article, instead of 60 square kilometres, the figure was for the building to be 60,000 square metres (0.06 square kilometres) on a 28.7 hectare (287,000 square metre) site.

For the rest of the articles, I gather that the sizes quoted in square kilometres should instead be in thousands of square metres.

You are correct. Thanks for pointing this out. Embarrassing math fail.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Of course, there's this possibility: no centralized Comiket during 2020, but a series of smaller doujin events held in Osaka and Nagoya during that year.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Building a Convention Center Next to an Airport what are they Thinking? Do they not know how LOUD Airplanes can be. Confused

They're often built near airports for convenience for guests from far away. People get used to the noise from airplanes (though some people would definitely be annoyed by them, but if it's a convention center, the only people who'd be there long would be the convention center's direct staff).
HockeyKamen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Would Yokohama Arena be another possibility as a temporary home for Comiket?

http://www.yokohama-arena.co.jp/organaizer/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2