• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: When Marnie Was There, The Boy and The Beast Shut Out of Annie Awards

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote
This relevant Ask John column still can't be retired, it seems. Rolling Eyes
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
SURPRISE!

...except, not really.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
Can't say I'm surprised that these excellent films are being shut out. It'll be decades before the Oscar Awards and Annie Awards ever take animation seriously, be it foreign or domestic.

Edit: My sincere apologies for this post. It turns out Boy and the World is itself a foreign film, as it's from Brazil, as someone below pointed out. In that case, I'm satisfied that it won the award, considering that most foreign films hardly get any worldwide recognition. Smile

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:57 am Reply with quote
Annie Awards are for animation exclusively. But who cares, its like caring for Grammy awards: its stupid to even give attention to this, they just give award to the standard American garbage that gets made every year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
It'll be decades before the Oscar Awards and Annie Awards ever take animation seriously, be it foreign or domestic.

... I'm gonna assume you made a typo.

Also, I'm not so crazy about how many awards Inside Out managed to get. That movie is starting to reach "overrated" levels for me.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
Jose: You mean corporate animation. Rolling Eyes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
Inside Out is the sort of Pixar film people were waiting for for a while. It officially marked the end of Pixar's slump.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
Hope ya guys have even seen the film they lost to before criticizing.
(Psst......... it's from Brazil)

Otherwise, ya guys are no better than award voters who vote without watching all the nominees first.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
You guys are making yourselves look bad. Boy and the World is from freakin' Brazil. I haven't seen Boy and the Beast, but I can definitely say that Boy and the World is a much better film than When Marnie Was There. It's more creative and thoughtful, and well-executed. I'm glad it's getting some recognition here in the States as I believe it's slipped below the radar for a lot of people.

Quote:
Hope ya guys have even seen the film they lost to before criticizing.
(Psst......... it's from Brazil)

Otherwise, ya guys are no better than award voters who vote without watching all the nominees first.

This. Not every anime deserves to win an award just because it's an anime. The reactions in this thread insinuate that some people have that position.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
You guys are making yourselves look bad. Boy and the World is from freakin' Brazil. I haven't seen Boy and the Beast, but I can definitely say that Boy and the World is a much better film than When Marnie Was There. It's more creative and thoughtful, and well-executed. I'm glad it's getting some recognition here in the States as I believe it's slipped below the radar for a lot of people.

Agreed, my sincere apologies for the post that I made earlier last night; I made an edit on it. Embarassed I got to learn not to post during the late night.
Sergio-san

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, to me it seems that no matter what anime movie gets nominated it's gonna be a long time before they give the award to one. I mean, is Spirited Away really the only one that deserves recognition by these award ceremonies? Ever since Spirited Away not a single anime movie has won a BAFTA, Golden Globe, Critic's Choice, or Annie Award, let alone an Oscar. I thought that maybe with this new category, which is a way to say that foreign films are never going to beat the big guys in my opinion, kind of like a consolation category, there could be a chance but no. I'm not upset I'm just disappointed. By the way i did watch all four films.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Sergio Ayanami wrote:
I don't know, to me it seems that no matter what anime movie gets nominated it's gonna be a long time before they give the award to one. I mean, is Spirited Away really the only one that deserves recognition by these award ceremonies? Ever since Spirited Away not a single anime movie has won a BAFTA, Golden Globe, Critic's Choice, or Annie Award, let alone an Oscar. I thought that maybe with this new category, which is a way to say that foreign films are never going to beat the big guys in my opinion, kind of like a consolation category, there could be a chance but no. I'm not upset I'm just disappointed. By the way i did watch all four films.

This probably just wasn't the year for anime films. Let's face it: Marnie wasn't one of Ghibli's best and Beast got a bad review on this very site. No use getting neurotic when other genuinely great animated films from around the world came out too.
Sergio-san

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Sergio Ayanami wrote:

This probably just wasn't the year for anime films. Let's face it: Marnie wasn't one of Ghibli's best and Beast got a bad review on this very site. No use getting neurotic when other genuinely great animated films from around the world came out too.

To me Marnie was an excellent film. The thing is that i'm not saying that anime movies deserve to win just because they are anime movies but it's been 15 years since Spirited Away and that remains the only widely recognized anime movie. There have been really good movies in those 15 years that didn't even get a nomination. Now a new category pops up to narrow the nominees and still nothing. Anyway, let's just hope that Miss Hokusai and the new films by Makoto Shinkai and Kyoto Animation (if they turn out to be good) get some kind of recognitIon next year. Sorry if I seemed a little neurotic Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Sergio: Judging by how snobby these voters are towards anime in general, I don't think they have the confidence to bet on Miss Hokusai. But we'll see.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Didn´t win has nothing to do with shut out and gossip journalism as this is a main reason why i will never respect this very site.
Marnie was alright and i still have to see The Beast but at least Marnie (the source martial isn´t Japanese btw.) is nothing when compared to actual anime film classics. The anime film/ova market is in a pretty bad state right now in regards to creativity so i would maybe wait for a creative recovery before crying "racism". A Brazilian film further won in the category we are talking about and anime films are regularly up for an Oscar, a Goldenen Bär or...
2/4 of the films in the Best Animated Feature — Independent were from Japan after all.

The winning Boy and the World looks good and has a 92% on RT so i will watch it within the week.
Here are the nominees: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/43rd_Annie_Awards
The Good Dinosaur was up for best feature... Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3