• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: When Marnie Was There, The Boy and The Beast Shut Out of Annie Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sergio-san

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sergio: Judging by how snobby these voters are towards anime in general, I don't think they have the confidence to bet on Miss Hokusai. But we'll see.

Yeah, you're right. I don't really care about these award ceremonies, but I still want to see these movies at least getting a little bit of recogniton. I felt frustrated when I read this and I had to take it out somehow. I know I may be making a mountain out of a molehill, but hey, that's just how I feel Confused

At least I was polite with my little rant Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
resident: A Brazilian film with a similar title as the Japanese film.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
resident: A Brazilian film with a similar title as the Japanese film.

World came out before Beast by over a year. Let's not insinuate that anime was an underdog in this catagory either (that, I have to say, goes to The Prophet).
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
so i would maybe wait for a creative recovery before crying "racism".

Whoa! I believe you just projected on this--

No one here made any reference to race or even implied that that was the issue.

----
I really want to see Boy and the World, it won at Annecy in 2014 and has taken numerous other accolades.

I too liked Marnie a lot, in fact I think it their best since Princess Mononoke (and yeah, I just snubbed the Oscar winner...)

And yeah, the Annies are a bunch of snobby folk and this isn't due to it being International Animated Film Association-Hollywood chapter, but due to what their awards were originally about, lifetime achievement. So when they added the awards for works in the 90's it had that air of "this is the best" but the real competition on works is where ASIFA started, Annecy, France. Far more international, far more competitive and after a week long celebration of visual artistry they have an awards banquet. It isn't some one night deal as a media event.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Weird: So it skirted the eligibility requirements, and still got away with it, because at least it's not anime. Rolling Eyes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
Another thought: It's been fifteen years since Spirited Away, but how many more years will it be until a film from Brazil wins another major movie award? The Brazilian filmmakers probably had to wait longer to get this one too.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Another thought: It's been fifteen years since Spirited Away, but how many more years will it be until a film from Brazil wins another major movie award? The Brazilian filmmakers probably had to wait longer to get this one too.

But how many more animated feature films of note does Japan put out, every single year?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't know much about Brazil's output or their general quality, but I'm sure with their population, there must be a decent amount of filmmakers and aspiring filmmakers. This is a huge moment of validation for the entire Brazilian movie-making people.

India puts out more movies than any other country though, and rarely does an Indian film win any kind of global award.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote
Think of it this way: They made an entirely new category that gives anime a ridiculous edge, and they still lost. Either there's a conspiracy afoot or we've overestimated Japan's best.

Also, why are GATSU post showing up late?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But how many more animated feature films of note does Japan put out, every single year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2015_anime_films is last year´s list. Which ones are supposed to be "noteworthy" again? My favorite one for 2015 is GitS and it´s an OVA sequel and the 4th such film. I find it more noteworthy that current anime films are still up for awards...
Every single TV season manages to squeeze out a few good one but i am lucky if i get to give a out more than 3 7/10s a year (or higher) to current anime films with how this branch of the industry devolved. And i watch the upcoming releases lists (for international toons) like a hawk!
I will never understand where all the talk that anime doesn´t get enough respect is coming from. Even my mother knows what that word is but i wonder if she knows that Brazil makes toons. What you all should be celebrating is that 2 anime films nearly won a (somewhat) prestigious award! My favorite "animated" film of 2015 is the American Anomalisa (it´s an R rated puppet movie about adultery) if anyone cares.

The IMDB top 250s have a lot of Indian films and most of the ones present deserve that recognition and the awards they got leafy sea dragon. I will agree that the average Bollywood film is crap. Or the average Hollywood film or... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
So if films from India get snubbed a lot too, we should be complaining about that too! I don't think their animated output is that big though.

Most Bollywood films are designed strictly for domestic audiences. I've tried seeing some of them, and they can be so steeped in their own culture as to be incomprehensible to me. Then again, the last one I saw was at a screening where the person showing it literally bought it from a bargain bin somewhere, so it might not have been a very good one to begin with. (From what I've read, Slumdog Millionaire was not very well-liked in India, so Indian audiences might have different tastes and expectations in their movies than people in other countries.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Bollywood has a larger following than Hollywood outside of the US.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Slumdog Millionaire may be great but is also the definition of an anti Bollywood movie so got where that controversy came from (not that i agree).
Rang De Basanti is my favorite and Mohawk52 has a point. My library is bursting with Indian films and these are a mainstay on German TV. The US isn´t the center of the earth no matter what the web says... I highly suggest everyone to just go down Imdb´s yearly top 250 and to watch films with subtitles that come from other countries than Japan too.

My most awaited animated film of the year is The Killing Joke and watching international toon films as Chico & Rita will only prove how little variety the current anime film market offers. I gain no satisfaction to shit on Japan and just want them to get their imagination back so that another Akira, GitS (95/04), Redline or The Wind Rises (the last truly great anime film) can be made again. Resurrect Ghibli and the awards will certainly follow!

@Go Mifune I talked enough about the Oscars for the month but i 100% agree they currently aren´t set up to properly honor animated films. Brave won in 2013 and The Croods were up for one in 2014. Shocked

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Weird: So it skirted the eligibility requirements, and still got away with it

What on earth are you talking about? It was eligible, it was submitted, it was nominated and it won. And now that I have watched it, it deserved to win. it had clean animation, some really great visual and camera work, told a coherent story (completely through visuals which added to its international appeal) and the method of story telling was unique by today's standards (that is to say what it did with the characters at the end, not wanting to deal with spoiler tags.)

residentgrigo wrote:
I will never understand where all the talk that anime doesn´t get enough respect is coming from.

I am in agreement on this. This is just not the case when you look at the bigger picture. This claim of "how many great movies (since Spirited Away)..." Yeah and how many were submitted to even have the chance for an award in either the Annies or the Oscars? Miss Hokusai will never have the chance for an award because it was not submitted when it was eligible (for the Oscars at least). For the Annies, since it will be premiering (first U.S. screening) at the Portland Animation Festival this year, it will be eligible if it gets submitted and nominated.

Is there a bias in Hollywood? I have already implied such, but that bias isn't because it is anime, it actually is more to do with the language. There has been much talk about the cost of dubbing and a large number of movies are not dubbed or released (meaning screened) in the U.S. market. Then given that a movie may be dubbed, that dub may be rather crappy due to a number of factors which you all should be familiar with.

Let me stress this again, since it is important. The reason that the Annies are dominated (and maybe that should be bold) by American and English productions is because all they have to do is submit it if it has been screened in the U.S. (which is often the case). While pretty much every foreign production must be dubbed to be screened-- Americans don't go to subtitled movies and it would be a financial flop if you tried it. That is a tremendous burden to most foreign language productions. (then one has to hope the voice acting is worth a damn).

And forget the Oscars, they are meaningless when it comes to animation-- not just anime. This ties in with the other bias issue, animation ("cartoons") are for kids. I am fully rooting for Anomalisa this year, but my hopes are not that high because of this.

I will say it again, if you want a less biased award then look at Annecy. Since 1985 there has been 24 Japanese (anime) nominations with 2 winners; Porco Rossi and Pom Pocco (back to back wins). keep in mid too, that until 1997 it was biannual and in 2000 they didn't award ANY feature length film.

Let us look at the nations who won the last 10 years, 2015 France; 2014 Brazil; 2013 Brazil; 2012 Romania; 2011 France; 2010 U.S.; 2009 U.S.; 2008 U.S.; 2007 Norway; 2006 France.
But, but, but... yeah, the U.S. has the budgets to produce very polished works regularly and those are the winners, not just the nominees which over the last 10 years had nominees from: Columbia, Denmark, Spain, S. Korea, Japan, Estonia, Germany, Italy, Canada, S. Africa, India, U.K., China, Australia, Sweden, Argentina, Ireland, Switzerland and Serbia. Many with multiple nominations over the years.

So please stop treating the Oscars and the Annies as the end all be all measure of animation quality-- i would be willing to bet that both Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata honor their awards from Annecy more than any overture out of Hollywood.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Mifune: Except that FUNi does dub most of its anime, so..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3