• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Emblem Fates' Western Release Won't Include Japanese Audio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:27 am Reply with quote
not that surprising really after all what's the max memory on a 3DS Game Cart, 8GB or something?

your not going to be able to get everything you want on there are you

hell most thumb drives have more room than that now a days
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
I spent a half-hour of the morning watching the Polygon video of Fire Emblem Fates and I can say with certainty that the voice acting is indeed sub-par. Some voices didn't fit some characters, some of the younger characters sounded too old, and the much of the short dialogues sounded unstable. It seems that the director either rushed through the track, or was being pretty lax with his direction of it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
This slow drip of censorship, removal of features, and now bad news on the audio front can't be good.

They would have been better off getting this all out in front.

Glad I am not a fan of this series, cause it looks like they are sterilizing it for the main stream audience. Sort of like what was done to the Tenjho Tenge manga.
stowrag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Didn't realize this would be such a huge thing for so many people. I can't say I really understand it, but I guess everyone has to decide for themselves if this is really worth skipping the game altogether for. There's not even that much voice work in the game outside of the battle quotes.

Personally I don't think English voices really hurt Awakening, so I'm at least willing to give the dub a chance. Even so, I'd doubt I'd ever skip the game altogether for something that doesn't really affect the story or gameplay.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
stowrag wrote:
Didn't realize this would be such a huge thing for so many people. I can't say I really understand it, but I guess everyone has to decide for themselves if this is really worth skipping the game altogether for. There's not even that much voice work in the game outside of the battle quotes.

Personally I don't think English voices really hurt Awakening, so I'm at least willing to give the dub a chance. Even so, I'd doubt I'd ever skip the game altogether for something that doesn't really affect the story or gameplay.
In the end everyone has their priorities. Voice acting at this point is part of the game. If it wasn't considered meaningful then games would still be entirely unvoiced.

In the end it's annoying for me, but it by itself wasn't gamebreaking. I'd be annoyed and it'd drop my intention to rush out to get the game, but not stop me.

Now everything else surrounding the localization and censorship of the game is another thing entirely. There is just a point where enough is enough.

I'll still get Fates at some point, but it went from a release date pickup to "maybe later in the year."
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
It's only sub-par if you're either a sub only fanboy or don't like certain actors in english dubs.....funny thing is half the people insisting upon Fates dub being bad haven't played much of the english version of the game.

Actually, I completely disagree with that. There is plenty of opportunity for there to be horrible English dubs that have nothing to do with being a sub purist. I, personally, have only ever played FE:Awakening with English audio because the dub was good.

From what I've heard of Fates' dub so far, the effort put into it is nowhere near what Awakening's had, and just doesn't sound as good. It's definitely not Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn bad, for sure, but it's not Awakening level good either. Sure, it's not the whole game and they could definitely be a lot better in the grand scheme of things, but the characters they've let us hear are some of the ones with the most voiced dialogue, so it's genuinely worrisome about the quality of the overall dub if these scenes just don't sound well.

That doesn't mean I, or all others who dislike the lack of dual audio, hate dubs, or have to hate some of the voice actors involved. Plenty of times VAs I don't like, Japanese or English, give great performances under the right circumstances. VAs I like can give bad performances as well. So that's completely unfair to be grouping all those who dislike the dub as sub purists or haters of the voice cast. Many of us are willing to judge a dub based upon its own merits, and they don't always pan out.

I don't it's as unfair as you're painting it considering how melodramatic many people can be about dubs.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I don't it's as unfair as you're painting it considering how melodramatic many people can be about dubs.

The melodramatic actions go both ways. There are plenty of people who are overreacting and getting overly melodramatic about people's preference for the original audio.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
This game is localized by Treehouse who is generally considered a subpar localization team. But the comment on the cut content may be valid too. Sort of like how you cant put the Japanese audio over an edited 4kids or Funimation dub because it wouldn't lineup with the visuals. Another possibility is the English localization apparently changed a lot of character personalities and overall tone of the game. So the Japanese voices might not fit. There are a lot more Henrys this time around it seems

Really? I quite like anything Nate Bihldorff comes out with; he is the biggest Woolseyism guy out there right now in video gaming. The English language version of Paper Mario would not be anywhere near as appealing for me without his touch, and same goes for all subsequent Mario RPGs. I quite like what they do with the Pokémon games too, and the increasingly hammy dialogue in the Zelda games, at least where hamminess is appropriate (like Ghirahim's speech patterns), is quite memorable to me.

It was mentioned before that music rights might be what held things up though. If they can't have the original Japanese version of a song, it wouldn't make sense to have the English version playing during those scenes or total silence.

DigitalScratch wrote:
So far I can only remember them censoring two things- the supposed "gay conversion" support and the face petting. Both were just modified, not entirely removed. Hilariously enough, way before these announcements there were people claiming they were going to boycott the game because it had both features.

As mentioned earlier, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. Such is the nature of running an IP.

The way I see it, however, is that a fandom that has a broken base is a healthy fandom, because it's big enough to have dissenting voices passionate enough to make themselves heard. I have been part of fandoms so small, they cannot afford to have dissent. Everyone has to support each other for continued survival of what they're fans of, and they have to accept everything because to not do so guarantees their doom. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Quote:
Rederoin wrote:
I'm not sure anyone who can't see change as a chance to grow the potential audience for their obsession should call themself a hardcore fan.

Why would that matter? The game content is more important to most fans.

Fresh blood should matter because that's how something sustains itself. For a case of something dying due to a lack of new people, look at those ama pearl divers.

When you want to bring in new people, you can't make them adapt to what you want. You have to adapt to what they want. When your peg is square and the hole is round, it's easier to carve your peg so it's round than to smash the hole so it's square.

CaRoss wrote:
Honestly though, the removal probably has something to do with the songs in the game. Japan's frequently feisty about music being available dual audio, which is probably why most Tales games had only the instrumental and not the lyrics for the longest while. It reminds me of how Symphogear has struggled to be released here in North America due to that same reason.

Nintendo of America's definitely no stranger to Japanese music lawyers blocking their way. The Rhythm Heaven series has always had a mountain of trouble coming over because the Japanese production collaborates with recording studios and pop singers.

FenixFiesta wrote:
Reverse importing, that would be the only "logical" reason to not include the Japanese language is if the game eventually becomes a fraction of the cost in the not too distant future.

In order to do that, though, such a person would need either a Japanese 3DS or a jailbroken 3DS that's become region-free. I don't think reverse importation is a big issue for Nintendo at all because of its region-locking.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Furthermore, having been a part of and seen the "hardcore" FE fans this is the conclusion I've come to: that they're really not worth the headaches to please. Seriously, it rivals the Zelda fandom in terms of petty arguments and bizarre logic. Plus considering how that fandom also nearly killed the series, putting into a downward slide sales-wise, it was all for the better that Nintendo took the series in a new direction and expanded beyond them. Keep listening to the "hardcore" fans and you'll eventually implode.

So here is my prediction for FE: Fates going by history: it'll be fine. It'll sell around the same amount as Awakening did worldwide, it'll be reviewed well, and we'll all look back on these "controversies" and rightfully laugh at them. Though admittedly they'll just come back when #FE starts getting hyped and we'll be back to this silly, predictable circus all over again.

How does the Fire Emblem fandom compare to the Sonic fandom with petty arguments and bizarre logic? The Sonic fandom is the fandom constantly in civil war that I understand best, having been a part of it from the start (but kept away from conflicts).

Part of the reason the Sonic series suffered through the 00's was because SEGA tried to listen to these fans too much. Sonic should be faster! Sonic should be slower! Sonic should be the only playable character! There should be more playable characters! Bring back the Chao! Don't bring back the Chao! Too much platforming! Too little platforming! With complaints like these, it's no wonder the Sonic series became a mess.

That's why it's valuable sometimes to just ignore the fans completely and make what you feel you should make free of their demands.

GeneStriker wrote:
I do hope that this game is the odd man out, and they're a little pickier about contracts in the future, though.

I feel that would've been an easy thing to do: Decide early into production that the game would get international releases and not contract with record companies unwilling to be reasonable with that.

Something that's always puzzled me regarding Japanese music rights: The rights lawyers by now must be pretty used to American companies turning down their offers because they're too demanding. Wouldn't they be lowering their demands by now? I mean, that's one of the basic principles of negotiation: If the other side wants something from you but is always turning down your offers, it means you should change it.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The way I see it, however, is that a fandom that has a broken base is a healthy fandom, because it's big enough to have dissenting voices passionate enough to make themselves heard. I have been part of fandoms so small, they cannot afford to have dissent. Everyone has to support each other for continued survival of what they're fans of, and they have to accept everything because to not do so guarantees their doom. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.
It's not healthy at all to have voices calling for censorship, and even then I very much doubt a significant minority of the FE fanbase wanted the removal of content. It's obvious this was done so as to not offend the professional offense-takers known as the justice warriors, who are very loud and have influence on a medium they don't really enjoy.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Glad I am not a fan of this series, cause it looks like they are sterilizing it for the main stream audience. Sort of like what was done to the Tenjho Tenge manga.

Meanwhile, Digimon, which has had a god awful dub and terrible handling of the franchise in America for years just got Cyber Sleuth which kept all the fan service and gay jokes and anime stuff in it. Only thing that sucks is they use the American Digimon names but thankfully most of them are the same as Japan unlike Pokemon/Yokai Watch/YGO. Plus you can rename Digimon so it's all moot. Change Creepymon back to Demon and youre good to go.

That might just be because Bandai Namco are lazy and cheap though. All the stuff Nintendo is doing would cost them money and effort which BN hates. In this case gamers win because of a company's laziness. JP audio, no cuts, all good. It's still pretty surprising how it turned out though. I was positive we were never getting the game or if we did it was going to be Saban'd to try to hook the little kids to play it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
It's not healthy at all to have voices calling for censorship, and even then I very much doubt a significant minority of the FE fanbase wanted the removal of content.

Of course it's healthy. You can see there are people here who are MORE inclined to buy the game because those things were modified. It means they were passionate about it. There are also people who are in an outcry over there not being Japanese voices and people who don't mind, and they are arguing over each other.

What's more concerning is when something is done but nobody cares. THAT is a sign of an unhealthy fandom. But here, you see all sorts of people caring enough to speak their thoughts about it. That's good.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I wonder... Just how is the English translation of Fire Emblem Fates, anyhow? Was there any abnormal text present (incorrect grammar, forced memes, etc.)?
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
This settles it: I'm not buying this game and you can bet I'm still going to play it with english text and japanese voices. It's too bad Nintendo is not going to get money from me this time (I did buy Awakening back then).
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I wonder... Just how is the English translation of Fire Emblem Fates, anyhow? Was there any abnormal text present (incorrect grammar, forced memes, etc.)
it's not out yet so we can only go off rumors and statements from people claim to have an early copy. So far I've heard of a few changes but we probably won't get any good details until it officially comes out.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:

Meanwhile, Digimon, which has had a god awful dub and terrible handling of the franchise in America for years just got Cyber Sleuth which kept all the fan service and gay jokes and anime stuff in it. Only thing that sucks is they use the American Digimon names but thankfully most of them are the same as Japan unlike Pokemon/Yokai Watch/YGO. Plus you can rename Digimon so it's all moot. Change Creepymon back to Demon and youre good to go.

I will never understand why that name stuck. We got the Daemon Corps in 02 and even in the World DS game. Outside of the really shoddy TCG, Creepymon wasn't actually ever used again until the Data Squad/Savers game. Since then, that's what they've used. It's kind of hard to not notice the blatant demon anagrams, what with the claws, wings and the face.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8