• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Emblem Fates' Western Release Won't Include Japanese Audio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDude042

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
not that surprising really after all what's the max memory on a 3DS Game Cart, 8GB or something?

your not going to be able to get everything you want on there are you

hell most thumb drives have more room than that now a days

That seems about the size of a PS2 game correct me if I'm wrong and look at something like Disgaea: Hour of Darkness for PS2, which came out back in 2003. It had plenty of voice acting throughout the game and was dual audio. I'm currently playing Disgaea 5, which is honestly the only Nippon Ichi Software game I've played, but that is dual audio, along with all the other Disgaea games released in the franchise. Then again, Nippon Ichi Software is obviously a company that is catering more to fans of anime than just your average gamer. Makes you wish every other company followed their example. All the recent Final Fantasy games should be dual audio no questions asked and etc, although my interest in the franchise has all but vanished after the PS1 days, but that's a story for another day. Companies like Nintendo and Square Enix really need to follow suite.

I recall Odin Sphere for PS2 being dual audio, and I believe the BlazBlue games are dual audio as well. Hell, I know the more recent Resident Evil games have been getting a Japanese voice track when they were only in English even in the Japanese versions pre-Resident Evil 5. I'm not sure if the English versions contain the Japanese audio track however.

I played Tales of the Abyss on PS2 even though it was dub only, but I didn't have any problems enjoying the game, although obviously I would have been ecstatic to play the game with the original Japanese audio. This is coming from a guy who wishes every Japanese game had the original audio intact in its English release.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
Companies like Nintendo and Square Enix really need to follow suite.

Most of the newer Final Fantasy games have been dual audio Bravely Default was dual audio as well, I'm not sure if Kingdom Hearts 3 will be dual audio but at any rate they've been on track.

JDude042 wrote:

I recall Odin Sphere for PS2 being dual audio, and I believe the BlazBlue games are dual audio as well. Hell, I know the more recent Resident Evil games have been getting a Japanese voice track when they were only in English even in the Japanese versions pre-Resident Evil 5. I'm not sure if the English versions contain the Japanese audio track however.

They don't.
JDude042

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Most of the newer Final Fantasy games have been dual audio Bravely Default was dual audio as well, I'm not sure if Kingdom Hearts 3 will be dual audio but at any rate they've been on track.

Yea honestly I'm kinda out of the loop with Square Enix as a whole in the past decade. I know the PS2 Final Fantasy games weren't dual audio, I had FFX back then and it was dub only. I'm not sure if the HD remaster they did for PS3/PS4 recently of Final Fantasy X is dual audio, and I don't recall anything about Final Fantasy XIII being dual audio either. The only thing I recall recently was seeing an article about Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns having the Japanese audio track as DLC or something. I also played the Final Fantasy IV remake for the Nintendo DS and that was dub only, although the dub wasn't bad at all by any means, again this is coming from someone who strongly prefers having the option for the original Japanese audio. Not quite related, but Castlevania Order of Eccelsia for the Nintendo DS was dual audio, and Castlevania Dracula Chronicles X for PSP was dual audio. Lets just start listing every video game with an English/Japanese audio option to prove the point. Laughing

Even if there was some reason Nintendo couldn't include the Japanese audio on this Fire Emblem game, I wonder why they refrained from explaining it? Was there somebody in the mess of all this that wants to keep that sort of information from the public? Doing so just seems to be more harmful over all than good. What good will keeping information from people accomplish? All you're doing is pissing off the hardcore fan base by not explaining yourselves, and I don't see any positive aspect to withholding information, which makes me believe that there is someone behind the scenes who doesn't want anyone outside the company to know the reason the original Japanese audio cannot be included in English releases. Either that or Nintendo just doesn't give a crap and feels no need to explain themselves, which is also just as stupid and lazy.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
Even if there was some reason Nintendo couldn't include the Japanese audio on this Fire Emblem game, I wonder why they refrained from explaining it? Was there somebody in the mess of all this that wants to keep that sort of information from the public? Doing so just seems to be more harmful over all than good. What good will keeping information from people accomplish? All you're doing is pissing off the hardcore fan base by not explaining yourselves, and I don't see any positive aspect to withholding information, which makes me believe that there is someone behind the scenes who doesn't want anyone outside the company to know the reason the original Japanese audio cannot be included in English releases. Either that or Nintendo just doesn't give a crap and feels no need to explain themselves, which is also just as stupid and lazy.

Like many people have mentioned earlier in the thread, it probably has to do with the Japanese VA contracts. Publicly announce that it's all their fault, and I'd imagine those agencies would have a bone to pick, which would in turn result in those agencies never wanting to deal with Nintendo again. At least, that's what Nintendo is probably thinking. Japanese VA agencies are suprisingly stingy when it comes to these kinds of things.

A lot of series don't have dual audio for similar reasons; the Persona series is the biggest example I can think of right off the bat. Sometimes, individual games get screwed over, as was the case here. The uproar caused by this will probably cause Nintendo to be more picky with contracts in the future, or so I would hope.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:

A lot of series don't have dual audio for similar reasons; the Persona series is the biggest example I can think of right off the bat.

None of the Shin Megami Tensei games to have voice acting have ever had dual audio I fully expect hell to break lose if it's announced 5 won't have it.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
None of the Shin Megami Tensei games to have voice acting have ever had dual audio I fully expect hell to break lose if it's announced 5 won't have it.

None of the main series MegaTen games have it, either? I guess that's par for the course...

But, yeah. The fallout for this has been bad enough. If P5 is announced not to have it (which wouldn't surprise me at all, given the track record), it won't be fun to watch.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote
Atlus USA is anti original audio. That much is clear. They've never once tried to provide a title with dual audio yet. Given that Persona 5 is trying to be a AAA JRPG, I would fully expect it to have dual audio. If it doesn't, well, I can wait for a sale.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:02 am Reply with quote
The only Shin Megami Tensei game I've played is 4, but I can confirm that the English-language version does not have any other language of voice acting.

I can remember pretty well which of my games have English and Japanese (and other languages sometimes) and which ones don't, as I sometimes switch over to Japanese to hear how they sound, though I always switch back to English.

JDude042 wrote:
Then again, Nippon Ichi Software is obviously a company that is catering more to fans of anime than just your average gamer. Makes you wish every other company followed their example.

Only if you're an anime fan. I doubt a company like, say, Ubisoft or Rovio, is going to change its marketing strategy towards anime fans any time soon.

JDude042 wrote:

A pattern I've noticed is that if it relates to music rights, the company will be quite hesitant to say anything about it. (This goes for Nintendo and Mother 3, FUNimation with the One Piece simulcast, etc.)

I'm not entirely sure why, but my best guess would be that these companies want to avoid souring relationships with Japanese record studios. Considering how demanding they can be sometimes, I wouldn't be surprised if their bridges are so easy to burn, you'd think they're doused with gasoline. Better to not say anything and hope you can make a deal with them in the future than to publicly say that you won't accept their terms and risk them never speaking with your company ever again.

I'd also say a lot of Japanese companies are like this in general. Western culture values being honest and upfront, so you see this kind of update on legal matters all the time if you're good at seeking out this information. But it's not the same in Japanese culture, which greatly values saving face. To say another company is not being reasonable with you will not result in that company being more reasonable in the future like what you can expect with western companies; it results in that company cutting off all further communication with you.
CyrusGold

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:

Like many people have mentioned earlier in the thread, it probably has to do with the Japanese VA contracts. Publicly announce that it's all their fault, and I'd imagine those agencies would have a bone to pick, which would in turn result in those agencies never wanting to deal with Nintendo again. At least, that's what Nintendo is probably thinking. Japanese VA agencies are suprisingly stingy when it comes to these kinds of things.

A lot of series don't have dual audio for similar reasons; the Persona series is the biggest example I can think of right off the bat. Sometimes, individual games get screwed over, as was the case here. The uproar caused by this will probably cause Nintendo to be more picky with contracts in the future, or so I would hope.

Many people have made that claim here without there being any proof to support it.

Don't let your imagination run wild.
War_Destroyer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
I didn't even know that the game had a "petting" mechanic until recently, it just doesn't belong in Fire Emblem. Otaku may appreciate the creepy titillation, but this pandering, in my opinion, is impairing the creative expression of artists and negatively affecting their respective entertainment industries by focusing on such a small and socially odd demographic. The loss of the Japanese audio is unfortunate, but I prefer dubbed audio because I hate subtitles and because it's simply more engrossing, as it is for the vast majority of foreigners who enjoy Japanese media. Finally, the whole gay conversion nonsense is also unfortunate, I wish I could slap the idiot, who misinterpreted it and took offense...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
War_Destroyer wrote:
I didn't even know that the game had a "petting" mechanic until recently, it just doesn't belong in Fire Emblem. Otaku may appreciate the creepy titillation, but this pandering, in my opinion, is impairing the creative expression of artists and negatively affecting their respective entertainment industries by focusing on such a small and socially odd demographic. The loss of the Japanese audio is unfortunate, but I prefer dubbed audio because I hate subtitles and because it's simply more engrossing, as it is for the vast majority of foreigners who enjoy Japanese media. Finally, the whole gay conversion nonsense is also unfortunate, I wish I could slap the idiot, who misinterpreted it and took offense...

Think you would be required to do a lot of slapping, because taking offense is the "IN" thing nowadays. You have seemingly taken offense to the "petting" mechanic, even though you are not required to use it.

I wonder if the artists, actually believe their creative expression is being impaired as you state. Also, the company's expectation and the actual financial rewards dictate whether or not their 'focusing', as you say, is a negative or a positive.

(On further thought, an artists creative expression and freedom is always restricted when working on a project other than their own.)

Last edited by TarsTarkas on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
CyrusGold wrote:
Many people have made that claim here without there being any proof to support it.

Don't let your imagination run wild.

Well, one only has to look at the anime side of the problem to understand why it's so challenging for many games to have dual audio. Case in point: Kodocha.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Case in point: Kodocha.

I think I either forgot or I didn't hear the full story about this way back when, but how does the fiasco with Kodocha go again?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I think I either forgot or I didn't hear the full story about this way back when, but how does the fiasco with Kodocha go again?

If I correctly recall, Right Stuf ran into licensing issues concerning the first opening song, 19 O'Clock News, and a lead singer named Mamo that made a background appearance on the first episode.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

If I correctly recall, Right Stuf ran into licensing issues concerning the first opening song, 19 O'Clock News, and a lead singer named Mamo that made a background appearance on the first episode.

I believe they ended up having to bleep out all of his lines in the show as a result, as well as use the second opening instead of the first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8