• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Star Wars: TFA Is 1st Film Since Frozen to Top 10 Billion Yen

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I can handle it being #1 at the non-inflated domestic box office. However, I am actually praying that "Avatar" stays #1 at the global box office. Though "TFA" is already $2+ billion at the box office, it's scheduled April home video release means that 1 will be beat.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
WOW first live action film since 2010 to surpass 10 billion yen of course if any movie was going to do accomplish that it would be Star Wars. Cool
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
My least favourite anime.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to Star Wars: The Force Awakens for surpassing the 10 billion yen mark. It seems that the film is attract some serious interest from Japanese viewers, particularly considering that it has subtle Japanese influences in some way, if Darth Vader is anything to go by.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I can handle it being #1 at the non-inflated domestic box office. However, I am actually praying that "Avatar" stays #1 at the global box office. Though "TFA" is already $2+ billion at the box office, it's scheduled April home video release means that 1 will be beat.

The Force Awakens still has a really long way to beat Avatar in the global box office. It's pace slowed down to the point where I'd be surprised if it can even hit $2.3 billion, let alone beat Avatar's $2.79 billion, so you don't have to be worried about that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
People remember Avatar? So forgettable story and characters.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
People remember Avatar? So forgettable story and characters.

So just like The Force Awakens, then.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
As a big fan of the movie I was rooting for it to surpass Avatar's performance but now it appears it's impossible, specially because the yen and the euro have been devalued against the dollar so box office performance now is worth less than before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I like both Avatar and SW VII. It´s Titanic that need to leave the top 3 if anything. I wrote a 9/10 Imdb review for TFA and it is my most down voted review on that site. Lol, dear internet.
Let´s see if China will get on board with the brand when the later episodes come out. An all Star Wars top 5 with the current level of quality would certainly be fine with me. Especially if they start to remake the trashy prequels. I still remember seeing TPM is cinemas you all... Crying or Very sad

DOMESTIC GROSSES Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm is the list one needs to be interested in. I saw at least 95% of these and TFA is in good company here and about to crack the top 10.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Pretty impressive for The Force Awakens to get to that mark in Japan. Hopefully given a little more time they'll get to the 2 billion mark.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
My least favourite anime.

Disney ----> Kingdom Hearts ----> Manga = Be prepared

You shouldn't be surprised at this point that news sites cross-reference interests that usually intersect.

You have to think about how popular Frozen became in Japan and how many products, including a Frozen themed PS4 came out.
...if something like this becomes popular, taking the spots over popular anime and Japanese local media then it will become just as relevant as anime and manga to this site.
Rusty Shackleford

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Hot damn... Earned back nearly half of production cost from Japan alone...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:03 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Any reason why you don't want it to beat Avatar?

Lady Multi wrote:
You have to think about how popular Frozen became in Japan and how many products, including a Frozen themed PS4 came out.

Whoa, that's pretty cool. Are PS4s region-free? I might actually get one if I can fit one within my budget, though it sounds mighty expensive. (Then again, who am I to judge? I bought a $5,000 game that's just sitting in my garage.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Any reason why you don't want it to beat Avatar?

Yeah, is ten or fifteen minutes total of Kylo Ren actually worse than all two-hours-plus of Avatar?
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

Whoa, that's pretty cool. Are PS4s region-free? I might actually get one if I can fit one within my budget, though it sounds mighty expensive. (Then again, who am I to judge? I bought a $5,000 game that's just sitting in my garage.)

A PS4 is region free, sometimes, though, the media player inside the are not.. I'm not sure if a Japanese PS4 will play, say... some US DVDs and the like. The only import that I know is NOT is the Vita stuff. Like the Vita TV; they are region locked.

There is also the whole button remapping issue. X and O will have to be remapped. Both my PSPs (I have 2; one is the Final Fantasy VII anniversary one) were imported and they were "Backwards" from my PS2 and PS3 habits. Not sure why that was changed to begin with but whatever.

So yeah, it should work no problem as far as I'm aware; I've not heard anything freaky with the PS4s.

Here it is on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Disney-Frozen-SONY-PS4-PS-PlayStation-Game-Console-Japan-Limited-Edition-JP-/141898302145?hash=item2109cc42c1:g:PeIAAOSwgQ9VjoRH
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3