• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ONIMAI: I'm Now Your Sister! (TV)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:38 pm Reply with quote

ONIMAI: I'm Now Your Sister! (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 6 Volumes by nekotofu)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Studio Bind

Genres: comedy

Themes: CGDCT (cute girls doing cute things), gender switch, school

Plot Summary: Mahiro Oyama was just a normal erotic-game loving dude...until he woke up one morning as a woman. Turns out his mad-scientist little sister, Mihari, tried out one of her new experiments on him...with a disastrous outcome, as far as Mahiro's concerned. But Mihari is as determined to study him as he is determined to go back to his shut-in, game-playing life, and one thing's for sure...life is going to get a whole lot weirder from here on out.

Air Date & Platform:
January 5, 2023 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:51 am; edited 3 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

It's easy to imagine the really bad, cheesy version of this premise and I was pleasantly surprised that this is not that. In fact, it seems like it's going to be a fairly standard cgdct show with the twist that one of the girls is a former guy. Definitely glad this isn't pandering fap bait. Will it keep my interest for its entire run? Stay tuned!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, gender switching, gives it a good chance that I am in. It is well catered for me, although gives some worries in departments of being too loli centred or having bad gender politics.

I say bad gender politics, because I kind of refuse to believe certain ideas of changing someone's sex will change certain interests, so I am maybe going to put certain readings that could come across as projection.

And what a projection for why I feel catered to. I spent much of even my early adulthood feeling rather off, which made me uncomfortable to do much outside of my inner circle. The sort of thing that felt off that I started to turn around when I realized that my gender identity wasn't just the straight cis guy I was boxed into, and it kind of expanded when I explored my identity more. So I kind of super drawn in by Mahiro saying that they are having an identity crisis.

I don't believe that some standard straight cis guy is just going to be as okay as Mahiro was in being cute, or say when he started to get turned on by BL. I disagree with the idea that just becoming female would mean he is now okay with BL, so I am reading into this being a part of him that he may have been afraid to entertain when just male. And so honestly, going down a BL rabbit hole shouldn't be something afraid of.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:05 am Reply with quote
yeah, worst show of the season hands down. Whatever positives there are, are not there and it's absurdly creepy. I don't know how anyone watches this and comes out not feeling gross and yikes about it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12, Finale

As I said in my first (and only) post, it is easy to imagine the bad, cheesy version of this premise. And for the most part, the show stayed away from that. It ended up being a pretty tame cgdct show, a genre I frequently find soothing for my troubled soul. Obviously, the show had to concentrate on its bread and butter which is about a dude who is now a young girl. But in terms of his rehabilitation from lonely, video game playing, manga reading shut-in to a person with friends and who can go outside to do things, it was becoming younger and getting a second chance at going to school which saved "his" bacon as opposed to dealing with the differences of being female.

It was a cute show and I'll kind of miss it. I rate it Good.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:06 am Reply with quote
The show does have a lot of areas that it could really be about, that being a bog standard CGDCT show would be kind of wasted, and missing big questions, especially as it did occasionally go into a bit of the skeevier sides.

But I will say some parts were pretty good, my highlight would be the makeup episode, kind of as that sort of area of expression has been an interest of mine. Sort of in that sort of part where certain people think makeup is just for gals to get guys, but practice it can be a confidence thing. When looked through the lens of Mahiro trying to get confidence of themselves, and working on things like self-image, it is kind of super relevant. Yet, not really brought up might be questions of gender, that in a number of circles the idea of makeup for males is being made more socially acceptable, so if Mahiro plans to transition back to male what could be taken back for them.

If the broader topics were talked about, in this final episode you could almost bring up that in terms of whether Mahiro should be allowed in the bath, I would say that it is beyond hints that Momiji is a lesbian, that she likes girls. Would the comment for not to stare have applied to her? Sexuality barely came up though, except perhaps the boys trying to sneak into the adult books, and I think that episode might have also had Momiji mention that she is into yuri stuff. The show otherwise had its share of yuri bait, such as with the older sisters.

And from a personal side, I quite enjoy the character of Kaede, as I have a weak spot to gyaru characters, especially when not just made into sex objects, which I think the show mostly avoided. But even if used, was at least not the body of a child.

My rating is going to be Good (7/10). I would like it to be higher for my own interests, but just didn't hit the bigger highs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1