• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Lost Village (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And that really seems to make up a lot of the cast with them all being pretty dysfunctional, and in ways I can actually somewhat believe.

They're all from the internet and it shows. We even got a chick from Tumblr there.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
And that really seems to make up a lot of the cast with them all being pretty dysfunctional, and in ways I can actually somewhat believe.

They're all from the internet and it shows. We even got a chick from Tumblr there.

"Dysfunctional" seems to be an inadequate word. Nucking futs is closer to it:
* Girls take off with a busload of guys that they don't know to a place where nobody knows and specifically is said to be beyond the bounds of civilization. A lot of girls I know wouldn't do that with guys they did know.

* No apparent preparation for contingencies other than what they can carry in a box or an overnight bag.

* The bus driver goes postal and starts driving crazy enough to kill everyone including himself. So fine he is stopped with a load of puke (ok whatever works) but then they get back on the bus with that same guy at the wheel.

* A couple of gun nuts. Everyone turns their back on them with no apparent concern. (Note: spoiler[that is not a diatribe against gun owners. This refers to obviously delusional individuals with apparently violent fantasies in possession of deadly weapons.]) However maybe those are just pellet guns or something.

There are other things I missed but again I think these kids are a bit more off-center than just being a little too wrapped up in Internet identity.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
...my current money is still that there is no dangerous beast of supernatural or even natural proportions and that it is simply a boogeyman that will drive the characters actions with its supposed existence.

Well, supernatural or not, there's clearly something/someone out there, because he/she/it knocked on the door of the bus after they abandoned the driver. Since he made it to them alive and apparently unscathed, I'm guessing a someone, probably not supernatural, but it's suspicious that he didn't mention it to the others.
xyz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
The beast thing with the claw marks thing somehow brought me back to the memory of Shyamalan's Village.
The person who lured them there through the email was probably the person who knocked on the door of the bus and had the driver followed the group to do this and that. :?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

* A couple of gun nuts. Everyone turns their back on them with no apparent concern. (Note: spoiler[that is not a diatribe against gun owners. This refers to obviously delusional individuals with apparently violent fantasies in possession of deadly weapons.]) However maybe those are just pellet guns or something.

Given how strict Japanese gun laws are, those character possessing real guns are quite slim. Just as an example, in 2014 there were only 6 deaths in Japan involving guns. So it's pretty realistic for the other characters in this show to be unconcerned about the two 'gun nuts'.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
There are other things I missed but again I think these kids are a bit more off-center than just being a little too wrapped up in Internet identity.

Still, I get the impression Okada looked at internet stereotypes and turned some of them into characters.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, supernatural or not, there's clearly something/someone out there, because he/she/it knocked on the door of the bus after they abandoned the driver. Since he made it to them alive and apparently unscathed, I'm guessing a someone, probably not supernatural, but it's suspicious that he didn't mention it to the others.

I don't think anything about that scene requires the presence of an actor we haven't already met. The same episode made a point of the fact that since they're a large group of strangers they have a hard time telling if they're even all in one place. A number of already introduced characters could have been the one who knocks.

I may yet be wrong - thankfully I don't have any money riding on this! - but I did consider the knock on the bus when coming up with my hypothesis.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I wonder if there really is a bear or something in the woods?

Also Lovepon is crazy. At first, I find her personality rather silly because some of the exaggerated words she uses but it's clear that she has some serious issues. Kinda curious to see where it came from if the show decides to give us some insight about her background story or past.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Also Lovepon is crazy.

They all are. Some are just more obvious about it than others.

This story is staying interesting enough for me to keep watching, but it has issues with focus. For example nobody had a word to say about the bloody bear claw mark (why would a bear attack a tree like that?) after it was presented for its shock value. And the so-called "adult" bus driver completely disappears from view after he makes his statement. There are other motile events that never get a follow up.

I get the feeling that the screenplay writer has more on his hands than he can cope with. But the effect is very dream like.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
One thing that's really realistic about this was illustrated by the scene where they can't even agree on something so insignificant as how to choose groups. I wonder if it means anything that none of them were fighting for rock-paper-scissors? I've never heard of any of those options before. But it's like for most of these people, every molehill is the one they're willing to die on.

"I was feeling alone and frightened so I came out here alone in the dark." There's something about Lovepon's kill-em-all hysterics that makes me want them to all line up to smack the shit out of her like that scene in Airplane!. Smile Since she has now actually tried to kill someone, will they lock her up with the other kid?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
This show cracks me up, and I can't tell if that's good or bad. It's like they WANT you to hate these people. Jack swinging the garden hoe was just Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing. Don't even get me started on Lovepon.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
"I was feeling alone and frightened so I came out here alone in the dark." There's something about Lovepon's kill-em-all hysterics that makes me want them to all line up to smack the shit out of her like that scene in Airplane!. Smile Since she has now actually tried to kill someone, will they lock her up with the other kid?

Yeah, Lovepon is bananas, and I would say is probably more dangerous as she seems ready to act with little provocation.

I can say that I can kind of sympathise with Jack with what I have seen so far. Being bullied extremely can put you in a bad place that eventually you can just snap and do something. There is a double edge part of it too in that after it happens you might finally be left alone and it creates an imprint that it was violence that solved the issue so it can stick with you for a while. I have little patience for bullies like that chuunibyou poser who kept calling Jack a copycat. I kind of all too well understand the effect he was having the sheer rage he was stirring in that kid who needs some help and not just be treated like a criminal because he lashed out. Of course lashing out is not the answer, I remember one time as a cub scout leader I had to try and talk about this to a 9 year old.

I am not too fond of the supposed sane detective kid who keeps telling our main character what to do. Screw him if he is telling someone not to try and help someone who is being ganged up on by everyone else. I do think it might add an interesting character development supposed right characters are not always right, and the ones you think are bad are not so bad. Similarly I am starting to like Valkana a bit when he forced the group to confront "are you going to torture her?", not suggesting it but telling them to stop arguing. He might be rough and scary, but he might actually be able to help despite his anger problems. And also similarly I am also starting to be interested in Maimai, sure she has not made up for some of her attitude yet, but she has been shown that it is out of low self-esteem that she could go beyond.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

That...was confusing.

A giant Mitsumune? The bus driver's daughter is alive? Why is she even there? What was that screaming noise? What is Jack's agenda? Really, I think those show just got more mysterious every episode. I also hope they do background storytelling about the bus driver. He's hardly trustworthy in this show so far.

In the meantime, I think it's obvious who Maimai likes now Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

Given how strict Japanese gun laws are, those character possessing real guns are quite slim. Just as an example, in 2014 there were only 6 deaths in Japan involving guns. So it's pretty realistic for the other characters in this show to be unconcerned about the two 'gun nuts'.

Yeah, they're just military/survivalist otaku. The only way to legally own guns is basically be a farmer and submit to extremely stringent and yearly background checks just to own a shotgun. Those cited gun deaths were likely related to organized crime or the police discharging their weapons.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
A giant Mitsumune? The bus driver's daughter is alive?

Possible:

A) ghosts or some other supernatural phenomenon,
B) hallucinations (its in the water or something),
C) someone with tech is messing with them.

Any other options? Anyone care to place any bets on what it turns out to be?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6