• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Lost Village (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well, in the first place the kind of people who'd go on a tour like this were never the most well adjusted to begin with.

But that said they do spend quite a bit of time trying to discuss things rationally. It's just, much like real life, the efforts of reasonable people are ruined by impulsive fools.

I think that this part is being done pretty well. We have been given a good explanation why this group would not exactly be the healthiest, and the group did sit down to try and talk things out while certain personalities drifted it away. What we are seeing as some of the most dangerous towards the end were a group that are quite paranoid. Execution girl is just giddy to take out possible criminals, glasses' fear seems to be people laugh at him (based on the sound he heard) so is probably paranoid people are making a fool of him, make military otaku has shown some paranoia since the beginning of that the girl herself was a fake, and I think the female military otaku is of the mind of wanting to be a person of action.

I enjoyed that the conversation feels to be filled with what may be red herrings, which is a good way to present a mystery. I do continue to think the visions are made up of their fears, and thus the giant thing at the end that looks like a penguin mascot or something is someone's specific fear. We got a bit of a folk song of the village, I did not analyse it too much, but I thought that it was about something attacking evil. The evil being why people would be killed. Like a man being killed after attempting to rape, or another (if Judgement is dead) after antagonising a kid until he attacked him without taking into consideration of how he acted. Based on that, the next person might be one of the people who tried to kidnap Mitsumune and hurt him. The mountain is punishing bad deeds, or maybe those planning to do something bad. Misaki is still holding some piece of information back, which so far could be theorised that Jack might also know something if Judgement was killed similar to the other guy,

In general I think this episode did better in having the characters stop and start to try and address some of the problems. But also the decision that they needed some rest because they were pretty worked up, which lead to a faction group doing something probably stupid.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The mountain is punishing bad deeds, or maybe those planning to do something bad. Misaki is still holding some piece of information back,

That reminds me -- why has nobody accused Misaki of killing Yottsun?

I agree with the review and DP that it seems that the mountain kami seems to be the active agent here. It has it's work cut out for it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6
Well that escalated quickly.So basically the entity is the smoke monster from "Lost" I mean it's literally the same exact thing. Anyways, at least we finally got some idea of what's going on in this village. Now that we have a plot, let's see how they run with it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Monsters taking the forms of deep rooted fears and traumas was hardly an invention of Lost. Hell, Silent Hill basically runs on it.

Personally it brings back fond memories of Hell Girl.

Anyways, I love character study shows like this where they delve into an individual's past to show just how they got so screwed up.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I'm not really sure what to think of the show anymore.

Perhaps unintentionally funny is a good way to put it.The giant blob, wasp, and other shenanigans going on this week just made me face palm like no tomorrow. Although based on the flashbacks, could they also be illusions of some sort imagined from their minds? Oh well, at least we now know why Lovepon is so crazy with her personality based on her background story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Well I have been calling it, the monster is made up of the individual fears of the victims, although it does look like Mitsumune is afraid of the penguin thing and yet I can't pick out a crime he might have committed yet. Even if the fears might look silly to someone else, I think it is being put across that they are quite scary to the one seeing them. The animation on some of them like the CGI on the silicon monster looked especially nice.

I was very happy we got character backstory cuts similar to say Lost, it was something I was hoping we would get for these various strange characters in the drama. I enjoyed what we got to see, and feel some sympathy for the characters.

Current questions include if the monster can actually do anything, it might only be illusionary and might only cause damage as they then try and run from it. Running wildly in fear in the forest can be dangerous. And another is raised with Masaki, where the show seems to want us to think that she might be a ghost. I don't think it is the case quite yet, so far without even a picture all we can get is that she happened to use a name of a girl that went missing, which she may have known, although she still does seem to know something.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:03 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
the monster is made up of the individual fears of the victims, although it does look like Mitsumune is afraid of the penguin thing and yet I can't pick out a crime he might have committed yet.

Well, the penguin was first seen in his dream on the bus, so it's related to when he apparently fell from a wall (maybe someone else also fell? Couldn't make sense of the hospital scene, since faces were hidden). Can't guess yet if "Tokimune" is the penguin or the half person in the phantom. If it's the penguin, then I'd guess he's seeing only the penguin, while Masaki's the one seeing the face. Maybe that's how Masaki ended up when she went missing? It looks like someone who's dead (drowned?), despite the eye movement. Maybe the penguin belonged to "Tokimune" rather than Mitsu). Lots of possible interpretations still on the table there.

I guess this was an attempt to make us sympathize with Lovepon, but I was still hoping for her demon fear to do away with her, however that works. Alas, she's still with us, still screaming, "Execute!"

I was surprised no date of the article (with no photo?) was mentioned. How long ago did this other (?) Masaki go missing? That's usually an important shock point for these kinds of stories.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote
I still really like this. To me, the best comedies combine serious and silly stuff, often in an unexpected way. This latest episode was the best so far, because to me what was the most funny was seeing the characters being tormented by their fantasies, and what those things were in isolation are ridiculous (like the ghostface train or silicone snail crab), but from the events in their lives that those things are based on you can see that those would be things that are manifestations of their real fears.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:15 am Reply with quote
And really, when was the last time there was a horror movie that wasn't inherently funny? Seeing dumb teenagers getting knocked off in increasingly elaborate and ridiculous ways is what the horror genre's always been about.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
horror was never really my thing, so I can't really say much about that.

One funny thing I found:

I thought that the hippopotamus song in episode 1 was written for this show as a joke, but apparently it's something that's existed for quite a while indpendently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myxshZl6Zt8

judging from the singing style and audio quality I'd put that to mid 20th century.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Regardless of the Unlucky Hippopotamus song being real, it is quite similar to the nursery rhyme, Solomon Grundy, so it is not that weird.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:13 am Reply with quote
We also got John Brown's Body (or Gonbei's Baby) in episode 4.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Honestly, the revelation about the twins with the background storytelling this week related to Mitsumune and Tokimune.

The theories about Masaki and connection with the monster phenomenons going on is just too weird. Felt like something is missing from the story so I guess we'll find that out soon next time...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
The theories about Masaki and connection with the monster phenomenons going on is just too weird.

Not necessarily. A mob of people actively avoiding the truth will always turn to a scapegoat, which is by definition something invented by themselves. It doesn't matter how weird it is if enough of the mob goes along to keep the hysteria going.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
Looking more and more like purgatory with that whole tunnel thing. That or Shutter Island. Also assuming Masaki's a ghost, why would they even assume they could capture her? One would think that they could come up with a more clever plan than that.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat May 14, 2016 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6