• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Lost Village (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

His friend who acts like the only sane man is a total psychopath. He was right up there in being ready to execute someone he believes is controlling Mitsumune. Not much evidence, but he is really obsessed, like he is in love with Mitsumune, or that he represents some idea of only being worthwhile by being needed by him.

Mitsumune's history was not too surprising, mostly from already reading comments that had figured most of it already in what is kind of wrong. It does seem kind of crazy the wild accusations that they put onto Masaki in her being a ghost, but I think it is not quite outlandish. Groups of people can be really stupid, they get one idea that starts to get passed around, and then reasoning from there becomes just legitimising that point of view, you get that thing where it becomes an "us" vs "them" situation and when a person starts to doubt they get threatened at being labelled a them. Everyone got a bit too excited, and I think it is pretty much explained with the phrase "mob mentality", had me wanting to go in and tell them that they are being illogical. I liked how different characters responded, Valkana is one of the more level headed and was more on ball despite being a bit persuaded, and Maimai stayed actually the most sane.

One of the things I have been thinking is that Masaki has strangely been lacking a lot of the fear she had at the very beginning, and how she can walk down the tunnel makes me think she may have faced her fears already or something. But it looks like we are getting answers next week, the cliff-hanger feeling like such a tease.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Well I have to admit this is developing as a lot more interesting than I expected. It works for me when some of the characters have some realistic insights as to what is going on. I particularly liked the girls' conversations about witch hunts for example.

In Mistake's story. The part about the old guy in the car driving down the path they were taking. Everyone ignored that part of the story but what's up with that?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Lol, Hyouketsu no Judgeness is back...and I think he's even more delusional than before. Hopefully we'll learn what really happened to him these past few episodes when he was off screen.

Bus driver makes his return as well...
Idk how I feel about Masaki's story although it may seem to true. There are others from the group that believes her while others like Lovepon (lol, not even a bit surprised) who sees it as nothing more than a made-up story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
How did the driver single-handedly get the bus unstuck?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:19 am Reply with quote
It feels a little like there are a couple inconsistencies with her story, or things that don't make sense, but not enough reason to jump on her so much. At the very least the inconsistencies seem on purpose, and some of it feel like she is even not sure why and are more hints about what might be happening.

Everyone does seem to have their own thoughts on matters that align more with matching their characters rather than for convenient plots sake that until evidence can prove what a character hypothesis there is no expectations of whether it is true. One was put forward that she might be missing trauma, but there may still be another reason she does not see monsters.

I like the detective girl, Nanko, she seems interesting. There was quite a bit of focus on how she seems to have a habit of gripping a fold of her gut, which makes me wonder her story.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Starting to feel like the village might be trying to even help. Maybe the idea they had that it was a place to start over was actually correct, that the village wants help them start back over and so makes them face their past. Mitsumune full on faced his past and decided to move forward after learning the truth about his friend, and the threat had shrunk.

Judgement teamed up with someone, which I think may actually be Jack, they shared the same equipment, and the guy who stopped jack at the end seems to be the cousin.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
Idk why but this week's episode's pacing felt odd...with the background storytelling coming from Hayato.

Meanwhile, the superstition stuff feels a lot more like popcorn comedy to me.
Also, a rather ambiguous ending there with Mitsumune perhaps realizing reality is what's been happening.

I still don't trust Masaki at all in this show though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Yottsun is back? And Koharun may be the final boss of the show? Lol, I'm just watching most of this series for some popcorn entertainment now. Also, I think Lion is such an underrated character in the series. We need more flashbacks about her besides the 1-2 minute segment this week.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

DuskyPredator wrote:
It feels a little like there are a couple inconsistencies with her story, or things that don't make sense, but not enough reason to jump on her so much. At the very least the inconsistencies seem on purpose, and some of it feel like she is even not sure why and are more hints about what might be happening.

Yep, and this was apparently the case. Masaki was not telling the entire truth, the inconsistencies seem to go back the strange way in how she acts at the beginning with how she acts later, and how the way she acts around Mitsumune like slightly turned off by the attention he gives her. Masaki was hung up on Reiji, and while in the village Masaki confronted whatever trauma she had and left the village, not by choice. The reason why Masaki seems to have OCD in the first episode? She was trying to give herself a problem so that she could be let back into the village, so she could get back to Reiji, apparently a one sided crush she has. Once reaching the village she dropped the OCD thing, which is why her personality has been slightly different since, but also that she is interested in Reiji so she acts a little odd when Mitsumune gives her attention. She has already passed her trauma so she should not be there and cannot see the monster, Nanaki.

Although apparently passing trauma is something like abandoning a part of themselves, and the place keeps a piece, and you end up in a bad way, aging quickly. The only way to stay there could be to keep your trauma active, but it does not feel like an answer either.

It was kind of good to finally see the group coordinator to finally cut the crap in how he is acting a certain way to just to get the attention and use the girl. Which seems to be that she may have set up to control this entire thing, knowing how to Nanaki works and using Jack and Judgement, which I could see explained if she was familiar with Kami's research.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Further plot twists, the Reiji we met is actually Masaki's Nanaki (monster). It could mean that Reiji himself never existed, was an imaginary friend perhaps that Masaki had in dealing with loneliness or something. She was not fully able to accept it or something and came back to see him.

The bus driver was really kind emotional this episode, and raised feelings when he was in the ED with his Nanaki.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

As much as I find the bus driver to be unlikable in this show, I actually thought that embrace scene to be a bit heartwarming. One of the strangest looking "monsters" I've seen at the end...

With just one more episode left, I wonder how they're going to tie together everything to wrap up the story?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
As much as I find the bus driver to be unlikable in this show, I actually thought that embrace scene to be a bit heartwarming. One of the strangest looking "monsters" I've seen at the end...

Wasn't that the point? At the start of the story the driver was something of a belligerant and self-pitying figure obviously not likable. But the Nanaki finally helped him with his issues and what was left was a guy who turned out to be a much nicer person than you had thought he was. To him, the image of the daughter he held responsible for was probably the worst thing he could possibly confront.

For whatever TLV is or isn't in the realm of comedy, that part of it they played straight and real and did a pretty good job of it.

I thought it a bit interesting that the "fake" Misato was willing to acknowledge itself as such.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
What I didn't get is why people are suddenly able to see each other's Nanakis now.

I bet Koharun was a student of God's and she became evil to prove Hinamizawa syndrome Nanaki was real all along!
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Finale:

That was...a rather underwhelming ending. I got a "was that it?" moment after seeing more of the flashbacks bout Masaki and Reiji.

So how to describe the finale? A-gorable? Lol. Actually, I think that term is used to describe Mitsumune's new nanaki. Regarding the whole series, I actually kinda like the start, it had a lot of potential but eventually, my lack of interest in the execution of the story made this feel more like popcorn comedy. My main issue regardless of the issue or message of the series is that there's just way too many characters. Some of them are easily forgettable while others stands out far more than others.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
In the end the show was all about inner personal conflicts and overcoming those don't always require some grand action sequence. While a lot of the group were just mob characters the show is smart enough to not try and cram in development for everyone and instead focused on the key players.

One thing I greatly appreciate about Mari Okada is that she can build drama and suspense without resorting to cheap character deaths.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6