• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kuromukuro (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Kuromukuro (TV)

Genres: Sci-fi, Mecha
Themes:

Plot Summary "Mecha action" story follows samurai reawakened at modern U.N. robotics lab.
----------------------------------

P.A. Works' 15th anniversary work. It's an original TV anime and I'm surprise that they are doing something related to mecha. (I can't recall any other anime they've done before related to mech)

However, the concept of it sounds interesting and we got Tensai Okamura as the director. Soundtrack from a character PV released recently looks also surprisingly good. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Yeah, P.A. Works doing a mecha show is just strange. However they call it, the show started off like normal until the mid-half when those mecha attacked.

I'm wondering exactly what type of technology exists in this series considering the amount of research involved by the United Nations. Ouma's a really strange character so far, I wonder where he came from. He refers to the girl who freed him as a "princess". Good action so far, the CGI didn't bother me much and wasn't even noticeable. I think the story so far has my attention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
So much for looks aren't everything. Underwhelming, too many directions for the plot to go or start from, choppy, forced acting.

Just when I thought it couldn't get even worse the guy gets punched by a metal armored suit and he doesn't have a single scratch. Clearly we're dealing with aliens here, lol. If he's not a Martian the princess will be disappointed (given that he was jumping around and his son wasn't swinging much but that's normal I guess given the era).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I guess I kind of liked it, I mean I have seen a lot worse. P.A.Works do have a bit of a rocky reputation, but I think that this might be on the better side. it kind of feels like it is blending the everyday stuff with a bit more surprising stuff without being overdramatic. I guess I would say first episode though.

Took me just now to realise the girl in the other mecha was the classmate who skipped a grade.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this first episode, sure most of the content looks like it was ripped out of slice of life series but in a way that's the point in trying to make a character be more than just "girl in a crazy situation" (even if it just means it is moe school girl in crazy situation).
Yukina's dynamic with her mother was great, it works as Hiromi could be ANY workaholic mother, but in this case she happens to be a lead scientist involved in developing next gen military robots.

I enjoyed the set up even if it isn't the "best looking" aesthetics for robotics fighting action.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I'm not sure I like Yukina much....until we find out more about her past or if she has a connection with that "princess" besides the similar appearance.

Ouma is even more of a mysterious character as he refers to the robot he fought as a "demon". Well whatever, the show is really pushing the fight with the mecha theme. It's interesting to keep me invested in the show but I hope the series does better to explain itself soon.

Good OST though. I really like that ED theme song for some reason.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I had no idea what I was watching at first, the beginning of the episode and even through the ED are so different from the first episode (and the rest of the episode) that although I was pretty sure I watched the first episode by name, but not by setting.

I actually kind of like our MC, I think her understandable curiosity, to freaking out, and then starting to be an asset with the situation was kind of selling her. Her curiosity seems in line with a teenager, where her ability to sneak in with her mother's phone was set up well with an already expressed characteristic was well done. Instant experts in just going along the situation can kind of push believability, but we got an expression of how out of depth she was, and her confusion of an extra force making her somehow understand some things. And she was not a total downer, she tried to tell him not to understandably cause a lot of collateral damage, inform him on what must be expected reaction to changes, and warn him of radar.

Not all perfect, like I have a problem with the fact a train came in while the enemy robot was walking along its path, I would think that someone would have seen this fact and stopped anything like a train that might be right in the middle of it. Also, not so much of a fan of angry samurai's attitude, which I guess might be largely confusion.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Something that I can appreciate is that the large mechs have a pilot AND a co-pilot, this makes sense as there would be a good chunk of information the main pilot would be "a little busy to focus on" when an enemy mech is trying to skewer yours.

It is also amusing that our time lost Samurai's "Hime-sama" also had an interest in far away lands as our heroine Yukina, obviously that is more than likely no simple coincidence and will either play into reincarnation, ancestry, or some mix of both.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm just having a grand time with this one. I'm always a sucker for the fish-out-of-water stories where everyone on both sides of the divide is all "wtf is going on here?" Very Happy So give me that, and I can overlook a multitude of sins. I love Samurai-kun and Uncle Priest and even Hime-chan is ok. Little sister is surprisingly not annoying. I like her open sense of adventure. Even Uma is an interesting sort of mech. I don't think I've ever seen a two-piece two-pilot mech quite like this before (this is so different from team piloted combining mecha, or even something like Gurren Lagann, so I don't count those). So yeah, I'm totally sold on this one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm always a sucker for the fish-out-of-water stories where everyone on both sides of the divide is all "wtf is going on here?" Very Happy So give me that, and I can overlook a multitude of sins.

I like the total "do you have no shame with what you are wearing?" that he has to her modern clothes. Understandable details of what differences would be for the change in cultures. Also mention the reaction of saying that he broke out again.

I am liking this too, and am interested in seeing what will happen from here. Samurai guy is a bit rough, but it matches where he comes from and that he would be in a bit of a scary position. so how he will adjust may also be interesting.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Yukina's personality is hard for me to get used to in this series. Ouma's chemistry with her is somewhat hilarious but I'm not feeling a strong connection yet. Plus, I find her rather useless so far. Her sister, Koharu seems kinda cute though.

In the meantime, we still don't know much about Ouma at all except for his lack of common sense in the real world. Meh, I hope the story improves but still underwhelmed by what I see so far up to this point. I also heard from somewhere that the show may be a 2 cour.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yukina's personality is hard for me to get used to in this series. Ouma's chemistry with her is somewhat hilarious but I'm not feeling a strong connection yet. Plus, I find her rather useless so far. Her sister, Koharu seems kinda cute though.

Yukina is a worthy grounding element, her character is acting appropriate for her age, arguably in a VERY competent manner given she has no known skill set and the same type of character would/should just endlessly cower in fear as the "demons" rain from the sky.

Her action with Kanako shows Yukina would run out unto an active battlefield to try and save the ones she loves even with clear and present danger.

The only thing to call fault is that Yukina still IS written like the usual highschool female protagonist for an anime series, to be exact an anime series that usually is focusing on slice of life shenanigans in place of a robot alien invasion.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
So this is the second time Momo Asakura plays a lead character's little sister who talks like a samurai in an original anime by P.A.Works? Talk about oddly specific typecasting! Smile

I'm not a huge mecha fan, but I'm definitely liking this so far. Between absent-minded power mum, samurai-crazy little sister and existentialist Buddhist priest uncle, the lead girl probably has the most interesting family this season. While she herself is a bit less interesting, I do find her reactions easy to relate to and I'm liking their exchanges with the samurai. I do hope that Toshiyuki Inoue comes back to work on this series because that fight scene in the first episode was terrific.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, finally. It's up to the standards of an action anime. Twisted Evil I'm very happy with the progress of episode 2 and episode 3. Yukina is much more likable now and so is Kennosuke.

The unfortunate part about mecha action anime is that it's all science and nothing supernatural. I hope we get to see even more surprising things (even supernatural/fantasy) as things go on instead of the normal high school plus mecha action anime. Either way I'd like to see Kuromukuro keep this up if nothing else given that episode 1 was close to a disaster.

Edit: typo
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Ahh, a much more chill episode this week with even a shopping date of sorts. I find Ouma's lack of common sense to be rather amusing especially about his knowledge of the TV. Based on what he sees in that photo at the end, I guess the person in it is his enemy as he describes it as a demon. Really curious about his background story now.

Damn, now I also want to eat some curry after this episode.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11