• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kuromukuro (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
Ep 5
There is going to have to be a small side story where Ouma had been taught how to read by his forma Hime-sama else it pushes the suspension of disbelief that he would be taught more than sword play as he doesn't strike to be of noble rank himself.

And even if he DID know how to read, there would be discrepancies between writings from almost 5 centuries ago and modern times it will be somewhat tricky to simply "glance over" a shifted language.

nit pick aside, this was a great episode to establish our main leads.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 5:
Damn, now I also want to eat some curry after this episode.

I felt the same way. And this is only episode 4. Razz

Man, they just keep hitting all my sweet spots with this. On top of the culture-clash fun, now they give me characters who are right but no one believes them, one of my other major weaknesses. Smile

When I think about it though, I'm not sure people who'd never seen a photograph or tv before would honestly believe there were "little people in the box." I guess I should look up some anthropological studies of such, but it seems to me that people grasped the concept of painting on cave walls, and a photograph is just a better painting, and a tv is just moving paintings. Yes, they'd be amazed and in wonder of how it was accomplished, but I just don't believe they'd be quite that gullible, on account of people being smarter than cats. I don't think the first people who ever saw photographs thought it was tiny people, nor did the first people who saw a tv broadcast.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Ep 5
There is going to have to be a small side story where Ouma had been taught how to read by his forma Hime-sama else it pushes the suspension of disbelief that he would be taught more than sword play as he doesn't strike to be of noble rank himself.

And even if he DID know how to read, there would be discrepancies between writings from almost 5 centuries ago and modern times it will be somewhat tricky to simply "glance over" a shifted language.

nit pick aside, this was a great episode to establish our main leads.
Even low ranking samurai were expected to be literate enough to write poetry, so him being able to read isn't surprising at all. The changes in the writing shouldn't be much of a problem either, as the simplified modern forms of the kanji are largely based on shorthand forms that have existed for centuries. However, I do agree that the changes in the language itself should make not only decoding texts but also understanding speech a difficult task. The spoken language of Kennosuke's time is in some ways noticeably closer to modern Japanese than the standard written Classical Japanese, but there are still plenty of differences that should impede understanding to a greater extent than mere unfamiliarity with modern concepts and teen slang.

But yeah, this was still a very fun episode. I always appreciate some good-natured culture clash comedy, and the characters are growing on me. Personally I wouldn't mind more episodes like this, but this will probably become harder to justify from a genre expectations perspective.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

"Is that your steed?!" (when referring to a ferret hitching a ride on rumba)

I found this episode very entertaining, I really enjoyed all the things he does not understand. It reminds me of the film Just Visiting, maybe it is considered a bad movie now or something but I quite liked it. Well I think many of the gags of someone from the past not understanding modern elements is funny, and samurai's wonderment of how wonderful modern day is is also nice. Also food, I knew there would be a bit of a deal when he finally tried modern food, only more effort should have been made of the dangers what might look like a small amount of spice can have on making something edible.

I kind of like the family dynamic too, even our heroine being somewhat put off and trying to get through with things. I am thinking that we will find out the family are descendants in some way to the clan, which is why she looks like the princess.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

I'm starting to get a bit more curious about that Sophie girl now. Up to this point, Ouma is the only character that I find entertaining to watch. In the meantime, I think their school looks more normal than I had thought, or at least some of the aspects.

Ouma is still far from normal though with the way he handled his opponent during that kendo session. Also, some of his male classmates are really awkward...

Next episode looks like it'll have quite a bit of action by the looks of it.

Btw, official site confirmed today that the show will be a 2-cour of 26 episodes so expect plenty of storytelling...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Ouma is still far from normal though with the way he handled his opponent during that kendo session. Also, some of his male classmates are really awkward...

Well for modern times, he was struggling just understanding the concept of modern a sport.

26 episodes ey, that makes me happy to hear. Something about the pacing of this show just feels right. Person from another time or world and getting to attend school should pretty much be a sin for being cliché, but some how it kind of works. Maybe it would not have if the gender of the main characters were flipped, it feels oddly refreshing. I really am enjoying the pace it is going, it doesn't feel like it is rushing or trying to just fill in time, there is drama with dude having awkward interactions, but it feels earned.

If I was to put one complaint it might be with this butler thing, but part of the implication seems to be that the position is partially in "Sebastian's" head.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:49 am Reply with quote
I feel bad for poor headband boy, but his facial expressions have been great.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Well. Now I really feel bad for him. Unless Red Crab accidentally shielded them, I think those boys are toast. Pretty good fight scene. After all these years I still can't quite wrap my head around the idea of mechs using swords, but hey, it looks cool.

I also get a kick out of how Kenosuke treats the cube like an actual horse. "Haiyah! Hyah! Hut!"

So yeah, that was quite a reveal there. This series is really just hitting on all cylinders, with the pace, characterization, humor, drama, twists, music, action. If they can keep this up for 26 episodes, they can take my money.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

I'm kinda curious why they were attacking Ouma and the others in the first place. The alien guy that came out really had a fighting spirit too considering that he chose to self destruct in the end rather than being risked getting interrogated.

The mecha duel was okay I guess, got a bit dull as I felt that it dragged a bit for the entire duration of the episode. Interesting to see Noelle getting some combat screen time though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I am probably going to be clumsy in explaining it, but there is something good about the episode, which I think is the tone. Like when they are loading up to the mechs to then be launched out, that had me saying that this was damn cool, it was not flashy or anything but I think they just set up a good tone. The battle maybe no anything super flashy, it kept me engaged, I liked how that extended claw arm moved in a sort of awkward way, in general I like how there was an awkwardness also from our main mech also trying to deal with it. How the people in the command centre try and rationalise what is happening and her mother is worried about her, or also at the beginning when of course she is scared. I liked the "oh shit" moment when the sword stabbed in and narrowly missed killing our pilots, the tone just super sold it as a raised stakes and surprised me. Logically there was not a lot of risk based on story convention, but it got me.

I don't want to sound like a noob or something, although maybe I don't really have a huge experience with mecha series, but I like the use of dual pilots. I guess it is somewhat like what is with used with military where a pilot would largely be for navigation. But it also reminds me of Pacific Rim, the pilot suits feel like they also help.

Also the mention the reaction of command centre in the middle of the battle about the damage of the hospital. And finally in how it ended when we were about to see what was piloting it, a bit into it I realised that the show actually got me really into what it was, much like the various people watching the stream in show, glued to the screen to see what the enemy was. I don't think this is the best show, but I think it is doing things pretty well. It kind of makes me think a bit of Captain Earth for some reason, although it has dialled back from being as hammy, and overall is better, feels more logical.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
I doubt that it will happen, but for once I would like to see a Stupid person die for the Stupidity of their actions.

I so enjoy this sires and it is one that can't wait for the next episode. But while the reveal was not unexpected I would have thought that it would have happened at around episode 11 or 12 since it is 26 episodes long. So we now know what soylent green is made of and that Ken and Yukina should get fully trained before the even think of going to school. So It will be interesting to see how they deal with it next episode. Also what do you want to guess that Yukina's wish comes true before the end of the sires?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 6
I don't want to sound like a noob or something, although maybe I don't really have a huge experience with mecha series, but I like the use of dual pilots. I guess it is somewhat like what is with used with military where a pilot would largely be for navigation. But it also reminds me of Pacific Rim, the pilot suits feel like they also help.

There are a few series out there that use dual pilots, but generally. it's not the norm. Multiple pilots in a mecha were a lot more common back in the super robot shows of the '70s, with the show Getter Robo being one of the most-known examples.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but wasn't Getter Robo a combining robot? It had multiple pilots, but they were each piloting individual pieces. This is the first I can recall (not that I'm an encyclopedia of mecha) that both pilots are needed in the same cockpit for a single machine (I was going to say VanDread, but that also combined ships before becoming a single ship). I guess Daimadaler needed two people in the cockpit, but I didn't watch that past half of the first episode and don't remember much about that, so I don't know if that counts or not, since I think the girl was only there to get the guy horny enough to power the ship?

Even if it's not unique, I think it's a rarity. Even the Yellow Crab apparently only had one pilot!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
Well, you could always count Macross as a series that has mecha with two pilots even though it's limited to a couple of trainers, although the Monster Destroid did require a crew of three to operate.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

This was so far the weakest episode imo. The relationship between Yukina and Ouma still feels strange while Yukina's relationship with her mother got more tense.

The whole revenge idea coming from Ouma isn't something I find too appealing yet either. I think the show will eventually reveal much more about him. Lol, I find the pool scene rather amusing mostly because of Ouma.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11