• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do So Many Anime Take Place in High School?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
High school life in Japan must be very different from high school life in the United States. Our high schools were hellholes of bullies, gangstas, queen bees and wannabes, holier-than-thou smart kids, and brutal castes.

Not at all. Japanese even has a word for refusing to go to school, toukoukyohi, which is a response to bullying, and also there are hikikomori, those who just stay holed up in their house in order to avoid dealing with school and such. Japan also has a very high rate of suicide in young people. If anything, I would think Japanese culture makes it worse, as social conformity is so heavily emphasized, and mental illness such as depression is stigmatized.

Also in the culture though is the concept of beauty in the ephemeral. The temporary nature of adolescence, I think, has an extra appeal as a result. But primarily, I think it has to do with the age of their primary target audience.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, I have another thought: I wonder if there are any popular stories from the United States or Canada set in school (not necessarily high school) that isn't glamorized and is popular in Japan. We saw earlier that Whiplash was critically thrashed in Japan, which was one of the darkest portrayals of high school life in recent fiction. Bart Simpson is a pretty disliked character in Japan too, as he's a rebellious troublemaker (that is, intentionally disharmonious) and the show almost always sides with him. On the other hand, South Park has a niche following, a show where kids constantly get in trouble with the adults at school and relish every moment (until a parent shows up). Codename: Kids Next Door has a niche following too, which depicts all adults at school as downright evil.

Because I DO think there is a huge amount of difference in Japanese schools and American schools. I've never been to a Japanese school, but the way they're depicted always seems so orderly, whatever cliques there are get focused into the clubs which are in friendly competition, the kids have so much school spirit...that being said, anime and manga do have their fair share of bullies, both physical and psychological.

It also makes me wonder what a typical Japanese person's view of an American high school is like. Which American media about school makes it across to Japan and gains widespread familiarity? That'd definitely shape their ideas of what American schools are like.

Aquaboy wrote:
Part of the reason kids admire the classic American superhero is that they basically symbolize freedom that many kids don't feel they have. Those superheroes get to do whatever they want, they're always in the right, and they look cool. Compared to being forced to go to school, listening to teachers, dealing with overprotective parents, and even hormones - the superhero life looks amazing. Those superheroes are also generally portrayed as adults. It's another reason for kids in the west to yearn for adulthood rather than youth or childhood, and is related to the desire by many to learn to drive ASAP.

In addition, kids want to do good and earn the admiration of other people. Kids know they're at the bottom of the social ladder in the west, and to get that sort of validation means a lot for them. Obviously, superheroes do a lot of good deeds and, with a few exceptions, the public in-universe loves them. I believe that's the reason why being a police officer is one of the top 10 most-wanted dream jobs for children. They know they can't be a superhero, but they can still catch bad guys for real.

meruru wrote:
Not at all. Japanese even has a word for refusing to go to school, toukoukyohi, which is a response to bullying, and also there are hikikomori, those who just stay holed up in their house in order to avoid dealing with school and such. Japan also has a very high rate of suicide in young people. If anything, I would think Japanese culture makes it worse, as social conformity is so heavily emphasized, and mental illness such as depression is stigmatized.

Also in the culture though is the concept of beauty in the ephemeral. The temporary nature of adolescence, I think, has an extra appeal as a result. But primarily, I think it has to do with the age of their primary target audience.

Hmm, that's interesting. So there's probably a whole lot of the darker side of Japanese school life we're not seeing in most anime and manga. I wonder if there'll be many stories in the future about that darker side, but I guess the escapist nature of anime and manga will keep that at a minimum.

Reminds me of how Mean Girls was liked far more by adults than by teenagers: It's commonly said that the movie's depiction of high school was too close for comfort for teenagers.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
Japan also has a very high rate of suicide in young people.

While Japan still ranks among the highest in developed countries concerning suicide, she did experience a drop below 30,000 for the first time in 15 years.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
The original question is really a socio-philosophical one. What some have hinted around but not said explicitly is what creates culture and makes it work. Each culture is formed by a group of individuals in community with each other. That group will typically hold a set of beliefs/worldviews that inform their culture. In turn, those beliefs/worldviews are informed by a group of assumptions, each of which are a response of a set of basic philosophical questions. For instance, most have asked the question, "Why am I here?" Or something similar. Assumptions are answers to these questions that we do not usually think about on a daily basis; we only assume those answers are true, which is what forms identity at the individual level and telescopes out to the cultural one.

When it comes to Japanese culture in particular, we can see that there is an emphasis on youth being the all and be all in anime and real life. This means that an assumption exists for such a reality to exist for their mindset.

Before tackling Japan in particular, I would like to address the fact that this assumption is not unique to Japan alone. In the West dating back to ancient Greece, the Spartans held youth as that which would save the old generation from their faults and mistakes. They placed all their hopes on the youth and the ideals of strength and vitality that youth symbolized. Today, the idea of being "over the hill" at age 40 exists. The assumption is that life declines after a certain age.

In Japan, this age is arguably 20 or "hatachi," when one officially becomes an adult, receiving driving rights, drinking rights, and voting rights. However, this is also the noted time that most graduate from high school out have graduated it by. Graduates can either study in college or go straight into the workforce or do a combo of the two. As noted by others, entering the workforce can be pretty brutal and de-humanizing. The best one can hope for is early retirement or that their children will not have to go through the same thing. If they do, perhaps they can help the next generation not to have the same problems or repay the same mistakes as the current generation. These kind of thoughts form a kind of escapism and release from the pain of daily life. This reality forms am assumption that youth will be the hope and salvation for the future, which can be reinforced by other assumptions such as history being cyclical.

At this point, it becomes a question of whether such such assumptions are healthy for the people who hold them. In the case of Japan and the creation of anime, one could argue either way, but it would be good to remember not just the present and the future but also the pay that got them there.That holds the key to many assumptions and why youth is so emphasized.
Half Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The answer is "Relatability".

Not everyone goes to college, not everyone does any particular job... but everyone has gone to High School. So it is easier to tell these stories because the viewer is guaranteed to be able to relate very easily.

Or to put it another way, it makes the process of "world building" easier (no matter the genre) when the setting shares a sort of universality with the audience.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
...which is all predicated on what I wrote above. Wink
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
meruru wrote:
Japan also has a very high rate of suicide in young people.

While Japan still ranks among the highest in developed countries concerning suicide, she did experience a drop below 30,000 for the first time in 15 years.

It's still very sad and telling that suicides among Japanese kids peak on the first day of school each year.

The smaller peak represents the start of the second semester.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Half Life wrote:
Not everyone goes to college, not everyone does any particular job... but everyone has gone to High School. So it is easier to tell these stories because the viewer is guaranteed to be able to relate very easily.

Good point. Maybe someone can find some numbers, but I feel that the Japanese college attendance rate would be quite high with all the extreme emphasis Japan places on college entrance exams and graduating from prestigious universities. It's partly why I'm surprised a college setting isn't more popular. Interestingly enough, there's actually a lot of manga out there with college settings or about college students. It's not surprising though, as manga isn't as bound to commercial restrictions as anime so manga artists have more freedom with settings.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
@Yuna49
The smaller peak in April is the beginning of the school year.
The large peak is when school starts again after summer vacation, which is the beginning of the second term.
The third, and final, term starts after the New Year holidays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
It's still very sad and telling that suicides among Japanese kids peak on the first day of school each year.

[image deleted]

Oh yes, it's very heartbreaking that suicides among Japanese children are so abundant of an occurrence. That's the sort of issue that Japan has got to address immediately.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aquaboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I feel like much of the discussion here misses Sevakis's third paragraph:
Quote:
So many unexplainable Japanese quirks emerge from Japan's obsession with all things seishun. The deep, unshakable love of cute. The questionable high school uniform fetish. The middle-aged women in professional roles pitching their voices up high and dressing in a way that appeals to this particular phenomenon (so maybe a little young for their age). Teen idols, male and female, and the eerily provocative ways they're often photographed.

If the "high school setting is relatable" argument holds, then why don't we see those "quirks" in the U.S.? High school is relatable to kids in the U.S. too, right? Sevakis seems to be suggesting that the popularity of anime featuring teens and high school settings is merely a byproduct of a deeper fascination with youth in Japan. The "why" is not entirely clear, but it appears to go beyond the fact that high schoolers appeal to pop anime's target demographics.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hmm, that's interesting. So there's probably a whole lot of the darker side of Japanese school life we're not seeing in most anime and manga. I wonder if there'll be many stories in the future about that darker side, but I guess the escapist nature of anime and manga will keep that at a minimum.

True, it's not shown that often, but I have seen examples. Hana Yori Dango, Kimi ni Todoke, and Say I Love You are ones I can think of off the top of my head that show some pretty serious bullying. And Anohana, The Flower We Saw That Day, had a main character who is a hikikomori, though he stayed out of school due to actual depression rather than bullying.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

{image omitted}

September is the second semester, and April (the smaller peak) the first.

Aside anime frequently referencing spring as the start of the school year, there is also this from the article you linked to:
Quote:
The numbers were also high in early April when the first semester begins in the Japanese school calendar.

It makes sense for the suicides to peak at the beginning of the second semester (September), as students have have knowledge of what they'll be returning for another round of after the summer break.
psiho66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's a pretty obvious question. Kids are the ones watching anime in Japan, for the most part. Why do the characters tend to be in high school? Because the kids watching are approaching that age. You can argue the kids watching are probably younger than high school age, but that just means they're looking forward to those years because it makes them feel adult without the pressures of actually being one/dealing with jobs. Anime creators make the shows with young characters so the viewers can better identify with them.

Actually a small percentage of anime takes place in schools.of 1,700 shonen animes about 200 animes take place in schools or about 10-15%.Same goes for seinen out of 500 seinen animes 50 of them take place in schools again thats 10%.The same can be said for both seinen and shonen manga (out of 3,811 shonen manga 800 are in a school setting or about 20%-21%-22%.And out of 4,700 about 700 are in a school setting or 15%-18%)Still a good percentage but Im guessing its a culture thing.
And everything you just said btw I disagree with most of the things you just said.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Aquaboy wrote:
I feel like much of the discussion here misses Sevakis's third paragraph:
Quote:
So many unexplainable Japanese quirks emerge from Japan's obsession with all things seishun. The deep, unshakable love of cute. The questionable high school uniform fetish. The middle-aged women in professional roles pitching their voices up high and dressing in a way that appeals to this particular phenomenon (so maybe a little young for their age). Teen idols, male and female, and the eerily provocative ways they're often photographed.

If the "high school setting is relatable" argument holds, then why don't we see those "quirks" in the U.S.? High school is relatable to kids in the U.S. too, right? Sevakis seems to be suggesting that the popularity of anime featuring teens and high school settings is merely a byproduct of a deeper fascination with youth in Japan. The "why" is not entirely clear, but it appears to go beyond the fact that high schoolers appeal to pop anime's target demographics.

I think that argument has been debunked already. Yeah, it's not about relatability. Idol anime aren't made for school kids, just like many magical girl shows aren't. The monogatari series and many other late night Otaku-centric shows feature teenagers, yet aren't at all meant for them. Relatability is part of it, I'm sure, but it's not as simple as that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6