• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kiznaiver (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote

Kiznaiver (TV)

Genres: Drama, Psychological, Science fiction
Themes:

Plot Summary: The fictional Japanese city named Sugomori City is built on reclaimed land. But as the years go by, the city's population is decreasing. One day, Sonosaki tells her classmate Katsuhira: "You have been selected to be a Kiznaiver." The Kizuna System, which allows Katsuhira to share his wounds, connects him to the classmates whose lives and personalities completely differ from his. The Kizuna System is an incomplete system for the implementation of world peace that connects people through wounds. All those who are connected to this system are called Kiznaivers. When one Kiznaiver is wounded, the system divides and transmits the wound among the other Kiznaivers.
----------------------------------

This is Trigger’s second original show, the first one being the highly-rated Kill la Kill. And once again, this one has Aniplex’ backing. Let’s see if it can match KLK’s success or not.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Saw the news about this just now.

Still no PV for some reason (animated one at least). Eh, I'll be cautious about the series since Trigger can be a hit or miss. The key visual looks nice though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
First episode was interesting. Not sure it'll hook me, but I'll definitely give it another episode.

Interesting note, that for the premiere at Sakura-Con, the panel and screening started at 2:30am (since it was broadcast live from Japan, and no, I'm not crazy enough to go see it at that time). Crunchyroll was apparently expecting the room to be half full, at most, and not only was it packed, but there was a line to get in.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
That was surprisingly good. I wasn't expecting a somewhat serious anime from Trigger. I really dig that OP song.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Get a bunch of anime stereotypes as our "sinners" and see what happens when we link up there nervous systems with "future tech", this concept sounds like something out of Dangan Ronpa or some other "locked in a facility" scenario but if we are to believe are instigator of the scenario it is all in an effort for "world peace".

The concept sounds fine, but the issue is as a viewer I am apathetic to our group of misfits. Maybe the premise will fly better for other viewers, but with a cast of characters whom according to even in universe they are unlikable for there varying quirks it just becomes a task to be intrigued.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I am kind of loving the weirdness factor. I know it may mostly be from a connection of occasional episode director of Kill la Kill and the fact that this is similarly handled by Trigger, but I am getting similar vibes in some places. More specifically it is some of weird parts like mascot kidnapping scenes that I found quite entertaining. And my favourite character so far has to be the weird girl, who kind of makes me think of as being wonderfully out of place and making me laugh.

I might be wrong, but I think this show might play with our expectations a bit. My current thoughts is that we might be in for something akin to Kokoro Connect, that after this initial set up of anime character clichés we are going to get more than shared pain and instead have a deeper look at the characters. We might see the deeper psychological reasoning that these different characters act the way they do, or hidden depths underneath those characteristics, and they will learn to understand each other. Well it will be hard for this to be accurate guessing after only one episode, and truthfully I only really thought it after seeing the ED which showed the random girl seeming hint at a deeper side that contradicts the character mostly presented with her archetype.

Looks pretty though.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote
What did I just smoke? What are Kamina and Yoko doing here? Why is there so much chatting? I have no idea what's going on, we'll find out next week for a solid opinion.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
That was actually a bit more interesting than i thought it would be. It was sort of clever for them to invent "sins" to tie to each ensemble character.

I do have a bit of a problem with the Katsuhira character. Just because you don't feel pain doesn't mean you have to be totally passive. If he really were that indifferent to everything happening to him I don't see how he could have survived to the present day. So the character doesn't really feel real to me. I am oddly reminded of the early episodes of Lain from Serial Experiments.

Yet there is a lot that is unique here, so I'm sticking around for a few episodes at least.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I do have a bit of a problem with the Katsuhira character. Just because you don't feel pain doesn't mean you have to be totally passive. If he really were that indifferent to everything happening to him I don't see how he could have survived to the present day. So the character doesn't really feel real to me. I am oddly reminded of the early episodes of Lain from Serial Experiments.

Just a guess, but it looked like even if does have a high tolerance of pain, he made himself emotionally indifferent after a friend seemingly committed suicide when he was a child. It had been easier to lock himself off than face other feelings.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just a guess, but it looked like even if does have a high tolerance of pain, he made himself emotionally indifferent after a friend seemingly committed suicide when he was a child. It had been easier to lock himself off than face other feelings.

The issue is that Katsuhira has "just one more problem" after he begins appearing on screen, without even considering the bizarre in universe events life has crapped on Katsuhira AND he is obnoxiously self deprecating his character crosses a territory that he becomes unsympathetic.

While that might be some sort of "meta" idea that eventually the audience is intended to eventually turn around on, Kiznaiver makes it difficult for a first episode where the audience might be agreeing with the in universe assessment that the cast is a bunch of unlikable social misfits.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Ep 2, and dropped, this flavor of "nihilistic society" I have seen too many times simply within this very season and the intro for said material is simply not engaging enough for this viewer.

If I just want to catch some trigger animation this season, i'll just watch some Luluco.

The main issue for me is the tonal dissonance between the overly energetic art style and the morose setting, it can work but it seems that in this case it just became too much for my personal tastes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Sakamoto ought to be hoping that none of the kiznaiver gang ever gets her in their power. The payback oughta be hella bitch.

I thought Episode 1 set up an interesting premise but I feel a little let down by Ep 2. It seems that the big reveals wrung out of them seem like superficialities. I can't remember much about the Breakfast Club but it think it was a level or two above this.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Yep, I am thinking quite a bit about Kokoro Connect, I would even say supposedly revealing the core part of their personalities early on is also similar to that. See, one could think this is showing your hand early, but it might really just be a foot in the door to what really makes these characters. What might be something they are unaware of that shapes who they are?

I need to step back and say that when I watched the OP I said "Yeah, I like all these characters", I think even their negative sides make them interesting characters. I kind of got some tears in my eyes when Tenga was scared out of his mind by the dogs, that is really mean to do to someone who has such a strong phobia. I wonder if we will get into why he might be afraid of dogs, and how his insecurity makes up his macho personality. What has Yuta been through that made him work so hard and fix his weight until he took on this personality? Why does Niko think being thought of as weird is better than being bullied for being perfect? What might have Honoka been like before she "killed" someone and how connected is she?

I am quite liking the animation and style of the show. Like when they were being electrocuted, it just looked beautiful.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3.

So the 7th sin is found and it remains kind of entertaining. I am seeing this setup as widely different from Kokoro Connect -- the key difference being is that the KC ensemble were all friends in the same after-school club. The characters in Kiznaiver would never normally associate with each other. The second key difference is that in KC the kids are more or less normal until Heartseed shows up, every Kiznaiver is either a full-out whack job or close to it.

For all of that I rather like how the Kiznaiver characters interact with each other.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:48 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
So the 7th sin is found and it remains kind of entertaining. I am seeing this setup as widely different from Kokoro Connect -- the key difference being is that the KC ensemble were all friends in the same after-school club. The characters in Kiznaiver would never normally associate with each other. The second key difference is that in KC the kids are more or less normal until Heartseed shows up, every Kiznaiver is either a full-out whack job or close to it.

I don't think that is quite true of Kokoro Connect, in that they were essentially all rejects that could not decide on a club and thus were thrown in together despite being pretty different, not necessarily actually friends organically. And it was kind of being made clear that although they had joined a group together, just as that although they appeared normal on a surface, they all had something that was not underneath. Taichi's spoiler[good natured attitude was largely a symptom of a complex of rather making himself be hurt himself than someone else]. Yui's spoiler[actions around males was part of her androphobia]. Yoshifumi's spoiler[affection of Yui was largely influenced with how he never got over his ex-girlfriend]. Himeko's spoiler[standoffish nature was because she was suffering from some sort of disorder making her unable to trust anyone (linked with deep fears)], And Iori spoiler[did not even know what her own personality was]. Although they looked normal, they each had something abnormal. Even though you could say they looked like friends, it was superficial at best at the beginning.

Keep going on that is kind of wrong as this is a different series, but I similarly think that there is quite a bit going on underneath these characters. Nick did a rather good analysis in the episode review of what each character's guess of why Hisomu's history of small injuries says about themselves. Chidori thinks that he is being bullied, the bully theme seems to be a bit of a theme with her. Might she be an animated busy body who wants what is right? I think that we might see that she feels something in particular in people not being able to look after themselves, it is a bit odd to call it a sin, but it might work around that rather than as selfless as it appears, she actually gets involved because of her own more selfish pride. Niko is actually pretty smart, she is the first to kind of figure out that they can use the pain, I think becoming increasingly clear is that it is not just that she cannot "see fairies", her entire personality is a creation she created as an escape, possibly because she is actually quite logical. Honoka appears at first to hate other people, but in truth she hates herself more. Tenga looks like a fearless hero type (there is some Kamina in there), but in truth he might actually be the most afraid, he puts on the tough act so people will not mess with him, and reacts the most to the group being hurt by someone who is not himself.

We were only just introduced to Hisomu, and so far we know he seemed to get joy pleasure from pain, and rather create trouble by running than just join the group. A knee jerk reaction may be that he is some sort of deviant that does not care about what others think of him or something, and I think it is the exact opposite. Just guessing but I think his comments about there not being a real bond between them is indicative that more than anyone he is interested in a real bond. Rather than a rebel, I think he acts out because he cares too much... I can't say much about the masochist thing yet.

Final note, I think that it is worth comparing the two different shows because I think the two groups are similar than they look at first and the two are just coming from two different ends. Initial appearances can really be wrong, normal and abnormal can be two sides of the same coin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4