• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World (TV)
Season 2 - Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World (TV 2) (discussion starts here)
Season 3 - Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World (TV 3) (discussion starts here)

Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy, horror, mystery, psychological, romance, thriller
Themes: butterfly effect, death, gore, isekai, other world, parallel universe, tragedy

Plot Summary: Subaru Natsuki is an ordinary high school student who is lost in an alternate world, where he is rescued by a beautiful, silver-haired girl. He stays near her to return the favor, but the destiny she is burdened with is more than Subaru can imagine. Enemies attack one by one, and both of them are killed. He then finds out he has the power to rewind death, back to the time he first came to this world. But only he remembers what has happened since.
----------------------------------

The plot summary offers somehow more serious story than your usual light novel, which is... refreshing, at least.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Actually, there's plenty of tropes that is similar.

White Fox is adapting this btw. From the PV I saw awhile ago, the soundtrack is decent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1 (double length)

I liked the episode, it has me interested. Sure you can say it is a lot of the usual stuff, but I like it, there are worse things out there. Say what you want, I like the look of "Satella", half elf girl clearly using a fake name from some "witch, and spirit fairy cat is cool too. The gimmick of him dying and restarting over is actually pretty interesting, I would probably just watch it. Downside I see is that the cg pedestrians are a little too off.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
"you got your ERASED in my Konosuba! you got my Konosuba stuck in your ERASED!"

While certainly not as light hearted as Konosuba, it does not have a constant tone of dread as one might expect where a key part of the narrative is the main character experiencing a prolonged death to groundhog day effect to earlier in his day after being unceremoniously transported into fantasy land.

I am colored intrigued at the very least.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
I'll keep watching because it seems interesting but the first episode definitely felt like it was missing some kind of payoff.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
I rather liked the rapport between Subaru and Satella. Shame it all got undone. He could try to replicate events but it just wouldn't be the same...
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this reminds me of several other shows but found it thrilling.

First half slow though but pacing picked up in the second half. I'm glad White Fox decided to go with a double length episode to capture the magic of the story. Regardless, looking forward to more. And the OST of the show is pretty damn awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I tried watching Konosuba, but the characters were too dumb for me, so I gave it up after the first episode. This one at least is appearing to be better, so far, but the groundhog loop will get old after a while unless he learns to control it.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Liking me some Felt! Kinda found it lame that the MC didn't realize he had gone back in time even hours later. That's a bit too dense. But I enjoyed everything otherwise. Curious as to what the killer meant when she told Felt "This world must love you". Felt must have some sort of elemental ties. Definitely staying on my watch list!
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
episodes one and two

So far the show is doing an admirable job of building the setting and the events of the day our protagonist revives to bit by bit as it's doing other things. I'm also glad episode 2 had a reference back to the conversations between Subaru and Satella in episode 1. It gives me more faith in the show to see they were actually building something there and not just using it to show rapport in the moment.

My big curiosity is how long the story is going to stay stuck in the first day. Is it all going to be about just getting through this one day or will we eventually get past that to future hurdles?
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I was initially a little bummed that they were still on the first day, but when they were building up to returning to the loot house, I was surprised to find I was still in suspense. Nothing great happened this episode, but I did enjoy listening to Felts aspirarions. Wonder why the knight sent silver hair girl to the house though. He's probably in cahoots with the killer.

Felt is definitely my best girl this anime season, followed by Machi from KumaMiko :p
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Dawn of The First Day. Took me too long to be reminded of Majora's Mask, the Zelda game which is about repeating the same day(s) in a fantasy setting to find out information and complete tasks.

He really seems to have been taking his time acclimating to what foreknowledge really gives him.

Treeborn wrote:
Wonder why the knight sent silver hair girl to the house though. He's probably in cahoots with the killer.

Man comes out of nowhere and tells you not to go somewhere while you are looking for something. What makes you think she has any reason to actually listen to that and will instead go there herself, especially her general personality? I pretty much guessed it would happen when he told the knight what to say.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
I admit I did find myself hoping we'd get past the loot house by the end of the 2nd episode, just to see more story unfold and hopefully get a new reset point? But I was still intrigued by what's going on.

The OP shows a lot of Subarus running around, and his conversation this time with the appa seller was interesting. I'm not sure I buy Subaru's brushing that off as just compelling fate. I'm wondering if he's generating new Subarus each time he dies? That's not the explanation, but I'm just kind of nebulously forming ideas here. I mean, the appa seller didn't actually recognize him, just that he reminded him of a broke kid who helped his child. And the alley trio never seem to know him, but the last two times they seem to have gotten a bit savvier in dealing with him, bringing out first one knife, then two at the outset. It's like his deaths somehow leave traces of what he did that round.

Anyway, this is looking like it will be fun.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I mean, the appa seller didn't actually recognize him, just that he reminded him of a broke kid who helped his child.

This was mostly implying that "Satella" had gone and helped the girl during this time period, showing that regardless of him being involved she would go out and help a lost child, and thus he should go and help her. Maybe an oversight but it also seems to imply that she met up with the vendor earlier than if she is with him, but maybe not get the information that leads to the slums until a knight gave suspicious instructions of where not to go.

My interpretation of the OP is that despite the same situations he is becoming a different person from his interactions with this world, like becoming more confident or more afraid of certain things. The alley bandits in one particular way show how things go depending on how he acts, from intimidating in naivety to quicker to draw weapon the more confident he is, and panicked when they feel threatened.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I mean, the appa seller didn't actually recognize him, just that he reminded him of a broke kid who helped his child.

This was mostly implying that "Satella" had gone and helped the girl during this time period, showing that regardless of him being involved she would go out and help a lost child, and thus he should go and help her.

But Satella isn't a broke kid. Smile If she had been the one to help his child, it wouldn't have reminded the seller of Subaru.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 24