• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
I guess you could make a stance she traded dedication from one person to another, I also don't think that it is too unhealthy. The reason she likes being so close to him is that she is truly grateful for his message to her that she should have pride in who she is, what she accomplished herself, that she should not let herself feel insignificant and throw herself away. For that reason she probably also respects Subaru's decision to love Emilia.

In my opinion what has been a kind of cool part of Rem is that she has given acknowledgement to being somewhat happy in reactions to situations like her sister losing her horn or her being alone with Subaru instead of Emilia. Yeah there is some jealousy involved, but it has made her a fairly well rounded character. She deeply cares for her sister and would go into a rage to exact revenge for what was lost, and so far is happy if Subaru is happy, she can have conflicting feelings.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
Would you be calling her co-dependent if she'd said, "You'll take him over my dead body!" before going all Rambo on them? Because that's what she meant, even if she put it in remarkably poetic terms.

But I guess it's as the Bible says, "Greater co-dependence hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
kryslogan wrote:
And, of course, what price is being paid for these resurrections and by whom.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about this angle before... now I want to go re-read Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy.

[edit] So, thinking on whether or not Subaru was faking it... I don't think he was necessarily "broken," nor was he necessarily "faking," either. With what he saw, he didn't want to come to terms with it, so he was refusing to face reality, retreating within himself. He wanted to be broken, and felt he should be, but he wasn't necessarily "faking," just refusing to come out of it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh Subaru, your ability to fail is simply superb.

So at this point of the narrative he manages to re-piss off Crusch, demean himself that Priscilla gets annoyed that he isn't worth insulting anymore, and just act like a total rube in front of Anastasia, and of course the fight with Emilia earlier still probably stands, Subaru was just a Felt away from getting a complete shit list with all the candidates, maybe next time Subaru!
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
As far as Subaru "faking" being crazy, I took it that he simply "broke" due to being overwhelmed and Mr. Nutcase was just misinterpreting the mental breakdown as faux madness. As a side note, I think anyone who's capable of analyzing their own craziness isn't really crazy to begin with so I may be biased.

I liked seeing the other candidates interact with Subaru this episode. It makes me all the more annoyed by the terribly overwritten exposition dump back in episode 13 trying to characterize them. I also feel for Subaru's frustration in trying to find a solution with such hopeless and often blatantly malicious options working against him. But in fairness to the other candidates, he really hasn't thought this situation through, which has hopefully been hammered in for (I assume) his next reset. I don't see how he's surviving that white whale.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Oh Subaru, your ability to fail is simply superb.

Well if payback is a bitch then his redemption should be pretty sublime.

I'll tell you this guy is getting nothing for free at this point. Except an education. When this anime started I would never imagine his character could be chewed up and spit out that many times.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 16

It would be understandable that Subaru would be a mess, the things he had just been through would require a lot of counselling to get over. Hopefully something set into Subaru that Anastasia explicitly mentioned, which may have been the case when he was able to get some merchants to act. With Crusch he played little attention to her stance on logical thinking and strong sense of goal, he rambled a bit too much and what should have been his goal was not focused. With Priscilla he failed to appeal to her sense of entertainment and in pride. And with Anastasia he showed himself in having a lack of confidentiality and trust.

Also, totally noticed that the rest of the people in the restaurant were wearing the same clothes as the little cat girl who was stated as being her general or something. Did Subaru forget that the whale was supposed to take the road? Did it seem to have the ability to completely remove people from existence so that they were missing did not raise alarms from missing memories? But why could Subaru remember, could it be witch related?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But why could Subaru remember, could it be witch related?

The show had indirectly hinted it before in the earliest episodes and certainly during the Rem/Ram arc that when Subaru is "revived" the supposedly reset world is not the same, it may be closer that Subaru's memories are going between parallel worlds in place of being teleported to an earlier point in time (Steins Gate, Madoka Magica here?).
So Subaru not learning certain key lessons that the viewer is probably several step ahead of the main character would make sense if his sometimes his memories are fragmented not just because of the Jealous Witch feedback but because the memories
"were not strong enough" because reviving might be an imperfect process.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
Yes, yes. Every episode takes us one step closer to the villain origin story I'm hoping for.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
But why could Subaru remember, could it be witch related?

The show had indirectly hinted it before in the earliest episodes and certainly during the Rem/Ram arc that when Subaru is "revived" the supposedly reset world is not the same, it may be closer that Subaru's memories are going between parallel worlds in place of being teleported to an earlier point in time (Steins Gate, Madoka Magica here?).

But what does that have to do with Subaru remembering that there should be more people around, while Rem and Otto forget that they were there in the first place? Some sort of magical effect was happening by the whale, but Subaru was somehow immune. This whale has already been somewhat suspicious in its period of blocking the road right when passage would be needed as if to cut off interaction with the cult as a coordinated effort.

The whole situation of timing could be suspicious that so many big wigs have been called away, and that the knights are overloaded with supposed sightings of the cult to the point they can't look into them. That the cult is specifically calling it an "ordeal" only makes it more curious, which the theory has been put out this might all be Subaru being groomed.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Did Subaru forget that the whale was supposed to take the road?

Guess I forgot as well. When was it mentioned?

As for why he might remember, it's probably because the power influences the people of that world, but Subaru is not part of that world.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
whoops, misread that one, but yeah a supernatural whale erasing or displacing a persons existence wouldn't be the strangest thing that has occurred in this series.

Quote:
which the theory has been put out this might all be Subaru being groomed.

I am aligning with this theory as it would make some logic, the only question is to clarify the presence of the Jealous Witch and the long term intent of Subaru's ordeals.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I've never been in the "parallel worlds" theory camp, but everyone spoiler[forgetting Rem] has me convinced something else is going on with this mysterious disappearing from existence Subaru's experiencing. My first thought is the Jealous Witch but it doesn't make much sense at the moment.

And seeing how Subaru's spoiler["unseen hands" can affect more than just him], it really does seem like he's helplessly trapped. I am wondering if he can actually spoiler[explain the memory loss] to everyone. It would reinforce the idea the Jealous Witch is somehow involved, though I'm not entirely sure she's grooming him for anything.

And is the implication spoiler[Otto was murdered by the cultists] supposed to indicate spoiler[they're connected to the White Whale] or was it just coincidence?
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I am so confused. Every time I think I know where the story is going, it surprises me, but I'm still not convinced that it won't turn around, because this whole story is built around the concept of reset...it's just not resetting when I think it will. For example, I came into episode 17 convinced the white whale would kill him right away, and Subaru would reset to right before he confronted the candidates. But...no matter how injured he got, he just wouldn't die! He didn't even *want* to die! What's up with that? I'm sure I wasn't the only one watching this episode thinking: "Die, Subaru! Die already! What are you waiting for? You're making things worse! KILL YOURSELF!" Laughing I'm as heartless as Beatrice!
Anyway, what we learned this episode (I surmise):
--Anyone killed by the white whale disappears from everybody's memories, except Subaru's (although, how did Otto know that the First Swordsman had been killed by the white whale, if that's the case?)
--If Subaru says that he's willing to sacrifice himself in order to explain Return by Death, someone close to him will die instead. That sucks.
--Beatrice is purposefully very vague, and probably knows more than she lets on. I wish Subaru was in the state of mind to question her directly. He should have went straight to Beatrice for information (especially about the white whale, how its powers work and how to defeat it) than to Emilia. But he still felt his main priority was to convince Emilia to run away to avoid the cultists attack. Understandable, too bad he was completely incoherent.
--Betelgeuse also has shadowy hand things, which he seems to control. He got very upset when he realized Subaru could see them.
--Don't mess with Puck (we knew this before).

I was afraid anyone who would find Subaru clutching Emilia's body would think he killed her. I was right, but I didn't think he'd be praised for it! Also, Beatrice didn't say anything about it (thus my conclusion that she might no or suspect what's really going on)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if there was going to be a scene with Subaru forcing himself to explain despite the pain. Didn't expect that outcome. The witch isn't messing around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 24