• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Considering the lengths the witch goes through to maintain the secret, including killing the person she (assumedly) gave Subaru his power to protect, I doubt she'll allow anyone to know about it even her other followers like Beetlejuice.

I doubt he'll lose it either because the only way he'd know he did is if he died and didn't come back, which would mean the end of the show.

A more likely development will be Subaru saving Emillia, but at the cost of some one else. That some one else will most certainly be Rem, since she already went through her character development and she's already been rejected so she won't work to increase the romantic tension. In such situations authors tend to not know what else to do with a character besides kill them off.

That's what I mean, like near the very end, they kill him off, the one who gave him the power decides to take it away from him after seeing how he abused it (or some other reason) and he dies, period. He doesn't return to the last save point, or even to the real world.

My theory would be he dies trying to save either (or both girls) by the end and that's what causes him to get perma-killed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

Whew, that was a bit a on the lighter side. Some good decisions on Subaru's part, and not really anything to drive him insane. I noted that the dragon liking Subaru was odd because it is known for its strong pride, a running theme with him. Also the rivalry like scene of Rem with the dragon.

Some interesting use of soundtrack dissonance with the phone alarm sound introducing the whale into the episode at the very end.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
So, it seems that the white whale and the fog, while related, aren't the same thing, and it's the fog that erases people, rather than the whale. That would explain why Wilhelm's wife (and those for the other old soldiers) was remembered, but the others weren't.

This was a really good episode, and shows that Subaru has put everything together. I have a feeling we won't get another reset in this arc.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
Ep 19
It is strange as Subaru has been on an emotional rollercoaster, and this has been a moment of peace missing for a long set of episodes, Subaru hadn't been making an overt ass of himself (though he still had moments to act like Subaru) but just as well the group that has been marshaled no doubt is facing the deadliest known entity that has plagued the lands for centuries, and just as well Subaru's true goal is to convince what remains to confront the Witch Cult forces.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
Did the White Whale always have a narwhal tusk?

Anyway, what kept me on edge the whole time was of course the fear that it wouldn't show up in this loop. They did a great job of milking that at the end. Smile

Did the oil and iron figure into Subaru's negotiations? I kept waiting to find out how that was going to be useful, but I might have missed it.

I know the VAs are different, but jeez, every time Russell Fellow shows up I can't shake the idea that he's Betelgeuse in civvies. Maybe they're brothers... Smile
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Something I've been wondering: Are we still on the 3rd book? This storyline has been going on for awhile now so it's hard to think it all happened in a single novel.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

Well. That was a battle. Anyone good at anime lip reading?
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Something I've been wondering: Are we still on the 3rd book? This storyline has been going on for awhile now so it's hard to think it all happened in a single novel.

I believe it is the 3rd arc, not the 3rd novel. The 3rd arc spans several volumes. The 3rd novel was part of the 2nd arc.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Ep 20
That was amusing to reveal that Wilhem used to be an outright rugged Bishonen in his youth, and the more intriguing part is the comment about seeing much of himself in Subaru was no exaggeration in regards to how Wilhelm ends up in a similar obsession over his future wife.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
I believe it is the 3rd arc, not the 3rd novel. The 3rd arc spans several volumes. The 3rd novel was part of the 2nd arc.

Most Light Novels have one arc per book. There are some that split it up but not that many. I don't know what the situation like here, and I don't want to look too deeply into it to avoid spoilers.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 20

Well. That was a battle. Anyone good at anime lip reading?

On the "other" thread, someone said that she's saying, "I love you."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, multiple whales is so bad that there has to be trick like they are incomplete clones. That or Puck and the magic sword guy show up and save the day, because enough of the episode showed that one whale is bad news.

The idea of a fight being over an entire episode gives rise to thoughts of just extending something with big pauses, but the action was pretty real in the episode, and as soon as the fog hit there was a raise in tension. Wilhelm is a badass, and he is not even one of the strongest fighters. I guess we did see him being somewhat like Subaru in the past.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
I've been enjoying Rezero, aside from its terrible pacing, but the ending to this episode is seriously the only one that had my jaw to the floor. Like, yep, they're done. Or are they??
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
This episode left me completely cold. It did absolutely nothing that got me interested in it, good or bad. It just existed for 20-something minutes. Hopefully this battle will be done soon so we can get somewhere more interesting.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Nice! The real hero of this story appears at the end. Really, though, how is Rezero such a good series when the only likable characters are not the main cast? Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 24