• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xyz

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I want to know what Subaru knows. I haven't yet figured things out.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote

Knowing nothing or possibly something aside, I've got to hand it to Subaru. He followed the boring 'don't have anything to do with anyone' situation, just about managed to survive and then committed suicide... Dandy, Baby!

Super episode! Looking forward to seeing who knows what and why Beatrice is so damn kawaii...
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Finally Rezero gives us a second good episode. I was getting pretty damn annoyed by the series these past few weeks. It was becoming nothing but a waste of 20 mins and then a cliffhanger. But episodes like these are what I expected when I first looked into Rezero, and I'm glad I'm finally getting what I hoped for. I pray it doesn't return to its usual pattern next week. It can be so much better than clueless filler.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

That was pretty extreme. Subaru got pretty messed up there after his last death, avoids the twins and stays with Beatrice, but things still go badly when Rem dies in her sleep.

I think that I have somewhat of a theory about the death Rem suffers. This seems to likely be the same thing that makes him sick in at least the second time, maybe the first too. One might guess Rem received it instead, or slightly different in that could get both of them if indeed the second death was by Ram who did not trust him that time. Just looking at hints, it could be the dog, its bite kills him, but since he did not go near it this time he is safe while Rem got affected instead, although this would infer that she got bit instead by trying to play with it. This seems likely because Rem is the other person to go to the village. I was a little interested if he went to the town we might have seen they had all died too.

And we also seem to get some strong hints that the witch is behind everything with Subaru. Her "smell" on him apparently increased after he was faced with some threat if he revealed that he is reliving time, so she might have interest in him being in this positon. This actually looks like there is an even stronger connection between them more than her going by the name Satella in the very first time, which is apparently the name of the witch. Throwing in a theory, I think the witch may actually be Emilia's mother, and that this is the witch putting in something to protect her. What is strange, or perhaps not so, is that the mansion crew seem quite protective of Emilia but have a history and dislike of the witch, but I could actually see this in being relevant. Emilia human parent, which going along with the above theory would be her father, must have been someone that would give Emilia legitimacy for the throne, although hints seem to push that this may have been some time ago that she is likely older than she looks. I could see the plot of Jealous witch laying with nobility and her child being accepted only by other sketchy but mostly okay people.

I am quite enjoying this show, this was a really strong episode.
jutsuri

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but wonder if it wasn't the Jealous Witch herself who killed Subaru the first time - because he passed the time limit without doing or figuring out what he was supposed to. Then she used the same method to kill Rem, knowing it would ultimately result in Subaru's death. Maybe he's being used to accomplish something so if he dies he reboots to get another chance, and if he misses his opportunity he is killed and reboots to get another chance.

On a different note, I thought Betty made an absolutely adorable bodyguard.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Well, I wasn't sure if we were going to be having Ep 8,9,10 for another three weeks thanks to the French Open but alas, we've had this one at least.

After last weeks roaring commitment from Subaru, I was expecting a little more than what this week delivered, but it was fun nonetheless. It seems that Rem and Ram have taken more of a liking to him this time around and Subaru getting to sleep on Emilia-tan's lap was super 'Impreza'...

So off to the village then and a date with doggy destiny! Fingers crossed it doesn't take 2 weeks for us to see it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
The mythos of the jealous witch Satella becomes a much more curious set piece, and while Subaru might believe it is a "witch's curse" that is killing him currently what could be revealed is that his revivals might be part of the jealous' witches machinations.

As for Subaru, he is slowly accumulating a multitude of mental scars and it is crushing what little self constitution he has, in the long run he is learning the hardest way that there are indeed fates far worst than death.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
As for Subaru, he is slowly accumulating a multitude of mental scars and it is crushing what little self constitution he has, in the long run he is learning the hardest way that there are indeed fates far worst than death.

I don't see him being crushed. He is evolving and I think in a good way. He is so much more self-aware than the typical male harem MC is and in this episode he has shown the highest level of assertiveness and commitment yet. His joking around was painfully forced -- so obviously that Emilla could see. What she did for him was wonderful.

So it seems there is some deep connection between spoiler[Emilla and The Witch.] It doesn't seem they are the same person but it seems like Subaru sailed past an important clue there from his first incarnation. Specifically spoiler[the name Emilla gave.] Another thing he is ignoring is what he saw when he was in the shade which seems significant.

I hope this time he makes it past the next save point so when he dies again it isn't in the manor's guest bedroom.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
After last weeks roaring commitment from Subaru, I was expecting a little more than what this week delivered, but it was fun nonetheless. It seems that Rem and Ram have taken more of a liking to him this time around and Subaru getting to sleep on Emilia-tan's lap was super 'Impreza'...

It kind of humanises him a bit. Even if he did decide to change things and save them, everything he had recently been through had built up a huge amount of stress that was causing him to push himself too hard. What he really needed was a shoulder (lap) to rest his head on and for someone to comfort him, saving him so that he could calm down and save everyone else. It also reaffirms why his quest can be so important, Emilia also saved him.

Honestly I was expecting that we would see Subaru break down like that, but I am really happy that we did as it improved his character. Although also good character moments like with Beako (Beatrice/ Betty), or with Puck. I even laughed with such comments with Rem and Ram saying something like his birth was a mistake, from kind of appearing mean their comments instead seem funny.

I said before that Emilia's mother may be the witch, Satella, and upon seeing in the picture that that she was portrayed as having elf ears I thought that it was even strongly pointing at it. Kind of rescinded it a little bit when they said Satella was a half-elf, but it does not disprove it yet, or at the very least they are more connected than Subaru's theory that she was just trying to be seen as crazy.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I said before that Emilia's mother may be the witch, Satella, and upon seeing in the picture that that she was portrayed as having elf ears I thought that it was even strongly pointing at it. Kind of rescinded it a little bit when they said Satella was a half-elf, but it does not disprove it yet, or at the very least they are more connected than Subaru's theory that she was just trying to be seen as crazy.

Actually, in many fantasy worlds, anything that is part elf but not full is considered a half elf, at least colloquially. So if Satella were a half-elf (biologically), any children would still be considered "half-elves". Plus, while I haven't been paying attention to terminology used in the Japanese dialogue, the kanji 半 (han), which means half, can also mean "part." If this is the kanji being used, what is being translated as "half-elf" could just as accurately mean "part-elf."
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, two of those push-to-save sacrifices, one right after the other. That could have been handled better. But aside from that, it was a pretty good episode. Doubt he actually died this time.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9.

Actually I found that rather inspiring overall. Although Subaru's evolution seems extreme in some ways this setup has made it make sense step by step.

I think Beatrice actually likes Subaru. Not that she would ever admit it, I suppose.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Please don't die Subaru! For all that is holy in this world... Live!

Great episode with lots of inspirational moments. It had me fooled for a moment, thinking that the blue haired girl was the Witch/ Servant of Darkness but that puppy is pure evil incarnate. Emilia-tan looked super cute in her evening gown and Beatrice is always lovable when annoyed.
As long as we don't have to go over the entirety of Subaru's stay once again, then I'll be very satisfied how this 'return' arc has been delivered.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
As we recall from the 3rd loop, Rem knows healing magic. It was sufficient to stop Subaru from bleeding to death from having his leg amputated. This is not quite the same situation--it is possible that the bites damaged Subaru's organs in a way that Rem's healing cannot help--, but certainly there is an easy way out.

Evil puppy shaman is... odd. Especially since it is apparently a creation of the witch. It makes us wonder just how tainted Subaru is with the witch's magic to have the gift of reincarnation bestowed upon him. Rem seems unable to detect the witch's smell from the puppy or the other beasts, even though the witch's magic actually created them, but she can recognize it in Subaru.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Subaru surviving this time could go either way. That amount of damage could be too much for Rem to handle, but with the help of Ram, Emilia and or Beatrice, it could be survivable. And I would really prefer it as this one feels like a keeper with how he has bonded with all the characters, like being helped by Emilia. Hopefully Subaru managed to get to a new bonfire.

The episode was titled "The meaning of courage", and it reminds me of a favourite quote, that courage is not the absence of fear, but the power to overcome it. We get things like a focus on Subaru's hand shaking, that indeed he is frightened quite a bit, but he had the power to despite that and still take action.

Also, why did Roswell leave?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 24