• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kuma Miko: Girl Meets Bear (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see anyone else talk about it, so it might've been just me, but the audio in the last episode was complete garbage. The music was way too loud and the voices way too low. I almost had trouble identifying who was talking what at some points.
In the comedy aspect though, I did find this the funniest. As cliché as Hibiki was, Machi managed to turn anime denseness into way more fun than it has any right to be.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Machi was not ready to go to a shopping mall, it was Natsu who took all of her stress from it. If she was not used to escalators, she is a bit off from her thoughts of being ready. She totally got scared of the store because it had strange things that she freaked out, punched her cousin, and the run in with the guy. I do kind of feel for the worrying about matching the aesthetics of a store before going in, and I would guess it would be even worse for a high school girl worried about being perceived as a bumpkin.

I think the episode actually did an alright job of capturing that fear in embarrassment it was trying to portray.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
No Kumamiko this week?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:31 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
No Kumamiko this week?

From a source I can see that it is raw in places, there may have been some issues in places, but I think there is an episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Machi is doomed for her plans to go to the city, she would rather hard labour of chopping wood than trying to use various technologies, like a rice cooker. Although, I will say that I do also have experience of trying to convince people not to be afraid of modern technology. My sister can be like the worst with things, to no avail trying to convince that public transport can be a breeze with a pay card and a smartphone app/website. I think that I can feel frustration of trying to convince people that it is not too hard to figure things out rather than being afraid of a piece of technology.

What is the deal with the women's association being so into having Natsu scare people? Lol when Machi started to feed Natsu threatening lines. I wonder if we will see her grandmother some time?
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Guess we just had to wait an extra day for this ep

Wasnt as enjoyable as last week's first half, but still liked it. IMO, this show is best when it's pushing Machi to her limits, and beyond it, but it hasn't really been going that direction lately. I watch episode 1&2 and it feels almost completely different than recent episodes (with the exception of last week's first half). Machi was so eager and brave those episodes. Still loving me some Kumamiko (Nice! She used that term this week, too), but I'm so damn eager to see Machi have actual big city experiences, rather than luke warm exposure to modern technology at her shrine
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Honestly when they focus on Machi's social anxiety it stops being funny and is pretty heartbreaking instead.
Zork

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Kuma Miko - Episode 8

Vaisaga wrote:
Honestly when they focus on Machi's social anxiety it stops being funny and is pretty heartbreaking instead.

I tend to agree. Kuma Miko started out as my second favorite show of the season but watching Machi struggle to with her anxieties these past few shows just hasn't been fun to watch. She seems to be more resolved at the end of the episodes, but stil...

Also not fun to watch in this episode was Yoshino's attempt to physically force Machi to sign the cooking agreement. That was almost an assault.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I will admit I started laughing when the Little Match Girl comparisons started.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! More of this, please!

This is what I want from Kumamiko! Sure, Machi didn't exactly get a big city experience, but she got a sample of what the real world is like - work, work, work! And it was hilarious! That scene with the shady supervisor emerging from the shadows had be busting a gut Anime hyper And the whole charity case sequence lol
By the end, I saw the Machi from ep 1 and 2 that I asked for. Ah, yes, very pleased with this episode Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Really empathised with Machi freak-out this episode. I know that I would have the same reaction to her and it would feel like a nightmare. Like all the extra stuff showing the over dramatization would really feel that way, like working the courage to shout it out yet it only turning into saying it under your breath, and I would probably have ended up in tears before actually managing to do it so other could hear. Simply like Machi I would be the worst at retail.

This social anxiety thing is not funny like the show might be expected to be as a comedy, but I think that they still have worth a dual side of drama/tragedy and comedy.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
They should just come out and say "We have talking bears!" That'll get them all the tourists they could want.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Well he did the best he could, although perhaps the plan of running it without an idea for funding was a mistake in the first place.

Also, just because someone says that they always wanted to be a director, does not mean that they should. I guess it did not go too badly at least. Act like a potato. What a thing to say to your own mother?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
Machi handled being in the commercial much better than I thought she would! I'm guessing that being around people that she was familiar with probably helped quite a it. Plus, she did look really cute in those glasses!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

To be honest I can remember being kind of blown away by finally having a mobile phone even if I had not much use for it. Regardless it made Machi being so confused over things like SIM cards, and proudly albeit childishly showing it off to the kids.

It did have me thinking that Yoshio is a cool character, followed by him harassing her in the second half, him being completely clueless to how it would look with him forcing Machi to change clothes. Despite that I think Yoshio is a likable character, or maybe even more when he accidentally does something insensitive. Yoshio may not have had a lot in terms of ulterior motives for wanting Machi to dress up, but I think Natsu might have had some in encouraging Hibiki be her manager, because Hibiki would not fight for Machi's embarrassment.

Machi finally realising at the end the question of why is she even being an idol was pretty funny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3