• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto? (TV)

Genres: Comedy, School Life, Seinen
Themes:

Plot Summary: Sakamoto, a gopher to his upperclassmen in middle school, is suddenly accepted as the coolest guy in high school, with everything he does thought of as art.
----------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote

I don't normally watch gag anime, but this one sells well on the charts and the bookstore employees recommended it in their annual top-10 list. This website too has given a review of the first novel so I decided to give it a go.

This is comedy, first and foremost. The premise isn't going to appeal to everyone either, but there's a hint of satire in some of the mini-skits so it's sitting through it.

To put it bluntly, most people know or have heard about someone like Sakamoto, a Mr. Perfect who is impossible to catch off guard. This show takes this theme and consistently runs with it as various classmates with differing personalities try to put Sakamoto in an embarrassing bind and fail miserably at it.

I don't know if the rest of the season is a series of gag skits as Sakamoto fends off every attack on him and showing off at the same time, but it would be interesting if it turns out he was never like this before and somehow gained the powers of perfect foreknowledge and insanely good fortune all at once.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
This currently stands as the only show of the present season that I wish to sample. Whilst the ever-capricious streaming gods do not favour me on this occasion, I have yet to lose hope.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow this Sakamoto guy....

No flaws. No weakness. The perfect human being who make no mistakes. What a boss. He even has his own theme song whenever he does something cool. The OP song is cool, cooler, and coolest!

Yeah, this show is going to be quite entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Yo, Aachan, you didn't have to take off the underwear too bro...

Episode was fairly entertaining. I'm not really a fan of this type of stuff, so I might not keep up.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
After one episode I'm not too sure about this but there are some good points to it. I thought that volleyball routine was pretty good but they are already on the verge of overusing it. I'm sure it is easy on the budget.

Man, that Sera guy sure is overweight. Out of his clothes he looks like an American high-schooler. I suspect that was the intent. Then there was that other fat kid that was part of the first delinquent trio and then the one they used for a messenger. Is being overweight now becoming a noticeable trend in Japanese teens? I hope not.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote

If it isn't comedy they provide, it's slice of life and problem resolution of the interpersonal kind.

Not only does Sakamoto resolve Kubota's problem of being extorted, he even gets him to realise how important it is to work for his own cash rather than scrounging off his parents.

The second arc is the usual schoolgirl trying to seduce male student but failing miserably at it. The only interesting thing about that is Sakamoto's final comment just after the girls leave, something which normally isn't said unless one had stratospheric levels of self-esteem or if it was the truth. What's weirder is the final "special move" he employed to get the tables back to position again.

This isn't a series for deep thinking or moral dilemmas, just straight-up comedy and smiles at how deftly Sakamoto resolves problems whilst deflecting negative attention away from himself.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Sakomoto continues to demonstrate why he's flawless...

Using two hands to write, destroying bullies, and can make anyone for fall him. Does he really have no flaw? Glad to see Aina work together with those two girls though. Oh I guess that adds another thing to Sakamoto's traits - being able to make enemies into friends.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Cooler than just helping someone, getting them to help themselves, especially in ways that they don't even know they need it. Teaching a bully victim the value of money he was being extorted of, and teaching a girl trying to seduce boys the value of female friends. Cool.

And funny. Things like him knocking on bird houses or writing with both hands.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Cool.

Weird.

spoiler[Sakamoto is an alien.]

{Edit}: Watch the spoilers. The show is new and currently streaming so spoilers are still required until the material in question has actually aired. Then it's fair game in the official series threads. ~ Psycho 101

Sorry about that but I didn't know that was a spoiler when I wrote it.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Cool.

Weird.

spoiler[Sakamoto is an alien.]

spoiler[Actually it is Yamamoto-kun that is an alien. Although Sakamoto-san is a cat.]

{Edit}: Same as above ~ Psycho 101
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
Sakamoto is THE Mary Sue. I thought the show would start to rot after the second episode but surprisingly it continued to feel fresh. The manga is only four volumes long, I'm assuming the show will cover the entire thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
{Edit}: Watch the spoilers. The show is new and currently streaming so spoilers are still required until the material in question has actually aired. Then it's fair game in the official series threads. ~ Psycho 101

What? I can't tell if you are being serious or not. I thought HaruhiToy was simply saying that spoiler[he is an alien] in response to me saying he was "cool", a comment I made because the show does so much work at making him so, while HaruhiToy's response is probably because it is done so much that it makes him seem not human, and thus call him spoiler[an alien].

My response post was because I saw a joke that Sakamoto (especially with "-kun" on the end) sounds a bit like Yamamoto-kun, a character from Gugure Kokkuri-san who actually happens to be a spoiler[stereotypical obvious alien] (you can look at the link and see him in top left, no real spoiler). Thinking of an inhuman character I then remembered that "Sakamoto-san" is the name of spoiler[the cat] in Nichijou, I don't think that is really a spoiler but I put them on after being edited already.

I can't believe I just explained my stupid joke.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:03 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
What? I can't tell if you are being serious or not. I thought HaruhiToy was simply saying that spoiler[he is an alien]

He was being serious but just mistaken as to intention. I almost wrote spoiler["he's an android!"] but that didn't sound as funny/descriptive so I went with what I didn't know was a spoiler at the time. So to you and me it looked like just a quip and not a spoiler but I can see how it looked that way to p101.

As for the personality I am finding Sakamoto not all that appealing and I think that is intentional. He is really stand-offish but he is willing to help. He doesn't interact any more than 100% necessary and it gives off a distant air but he can totally charm female characters. And it seems that he sees anything whether he remarks on it or not which is a bit unsettling. Finally I hate that male school uniform style. At that age I would have refused to wear it.

My guess -- this is not a spoiler! -- is that the story is going to end up where he learns something important he doesn't know, and get there from this point where they made it clear he knows everything. That's enough to keep me watching it but it isn't as enjoyable as it should be.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote

The theme for the first half is almost certainly "one can't have too much of a good thing". Ultimately the 3rd year bully got his comeuppance but Sakamoto's reaction at the end of it all seemed to indicate genuine disappointment at not fulfilling the task set to him. If his "aftercare" was done with the intention of ridding himself of permanent page boy, I would have been less surprised at the length he went.

As for the second half, the "Winter Sonata" parody and Kubota's mum being a stereotype of some Japanese housewives isn't a completely original theme. I still got a few laughs watching Sakamoto actually accomplish Kubota's request of not getting caught by his mum. Sakamoto's final solution to the problem at hand is quite a piece of lateral thinking but very stylishly done in terms of the timing.

Next week sees a teacher take on Sakamoto's perfect facade. Now that authority is brought into the mix, can Sakamoto get away from the unwanted attention?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3