• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lys

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
On the previous "spoiler" tags (I don't think I wrote anything spoilery below, but just want to be safe and not bother any other readers.)

spoiler[I think marking the above comments as spoilers is more of a spoiler (if it's true) than if they had just been left as-is, and I'm kind of annoyed at that. Normally I would have just read them as a joke (which I'm pretty sure was the intention) and laughed and moved on with my life, but if they're tagged that way, then it seemingly DOES give something away.

(and it may be my own fault for carelessly looking at the spoiler tags before I noticed the ensuing discussion, but having read the first three manga volumes already, I assumed I knew enough of the story to safely view something marked as a spoiler in the anime thread this early in the series.)]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
I think Sakamoto is the best hide and seek player in the world. Also, he has spiderman skills.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3: more freaky.

I hate to say it but the primary impediment I have to enjoying this anime is just how gross some of the characters are. Other than Sakamoto all the male characters seem to be fat, greasy, beady-eyed slobbering snot generators. When they eat its gross. And the mother -- even worse. All anime-attractive characters are shunted to the background.

It is obvious that is the point but I am having a hard time relating to it.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote

Sakamoto vs. discipline master with the Heavy Kansai Accent. There's only ever going to be one winner, although the visual gags for this skit were top-notch.

The assorted classes skit culminating in the fire drill is just visual gag after visual gag chained together. Obviously only Sakamoto can pull of the homemade parachute. I wonder if the trick against the slug in the lettuce works in real life.

Third gag featuring the delinquents from week one just shows how ridiculously perfect (and elusive) Sakamoto is. It even gets to the point where the delinquents think he's capable of defying the laws of gravity and geology.

It looks like next week's stooge is the top bully of the second-years. After the bully in the third year got his "re-education", it seems the second year is trying to set things straight. I wonder how Sakamoto gets out of this whilst still looking cool.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

It's confirmed this week. Sakamoto isn't just perfect and fabulous. He's also the cooking boy! And making slugs look like a million bucks while being at it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
What in blazes was the teacher trying to diagram on the chalkboard?! Shocked Whatever it was, it wasn't human reproductive anatomy. More like flower arranging.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Sorry folks but this one is losing me.

It isn't that much fun to watch and isn't that funny. The stunts are coming off as more dumb than clever. And there are no worthwhile insights revealed.

They've improved on the snot-and-slobber aspect but that's about it. I'll probably watch the next episode but I don't have much hope.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Two very short skits sandwiching a much longer short story in the middle.

Nothing much to say about the short skits (although I'm not sure how the latter keeps a temperature down) while the middle part is an exercise in thinking quick on one's feet. This is probably the first time all series Sakamoto hasn't been able to resolve a problem within seconds, it's still impressive how he fended off all of the attacks with just one arm before claiming victory.

It's still slightly incongruous that Sakamoto goes to such lengths to help Kubota despite giving everyone in his class more or less the same stand-offish treatment. Still the conclusion to that story arc was very satisfactory (although I disagree considerably with the waste in which some of the Konbu was used).
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:35 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to wonder if Sakamoto ever lost a physical battle in his life before. Another fabulous episode this week.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if Sakamoto ever lost a physical battle in his life before..

Obviously: no. But what is interesting is that they did something different this time. Usually Sakamoto "wins" without even appearing to acknowledge there was a fight in the first place. This time he came out and said what what he was doing was a "battle."

When you are up this character that has to be considered a win no matter what the outcome of the conflict is.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote

The first gag is a damp squib since it looks like Sakamoto is stringing primary school kids along with his perfectionist behaviour, still he does let them look good (?!) right at the very end. The real purpose behind this is probably to save the producers animation costs since the skit itself was very simple compared to the ones which followed afterwards.

The second gig is a lot more enjoyable. Who would have thought that Sakamoto would kill two birds with one stone with his "copying"? The way in which he managed to turn around anything the poltergeist threw at him whilst making it look natural is amazing. Although Kubota's throwaway comment about how Sakamoto takes everything in his stride naturally does hint at something other than human which is making him look so good all the time.

The final skit is Sakamoto-style subliminal messaging. Only someone like him could pull off the stunts he did to help the cafeteria with its promotion problems.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
So even the supernatural like ghosts can't resist Sakamoto....wow.

Another flawless episode of Sakamoto being himself. The mixture of the "creepiness" and comedy made it quite entertaining. For some reason, I also can't get that marching music out of my head now Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:35 am Reply with quote
I think that the joke with the hair has been one of the jokes actually able to stand out. Perfectionism can be somewhat boring of a character trait, so actually having a moment of saying "No Sakamoto, do not use the ghost hair you found in a sink as extensions for your friend" actually felt a little refreshing. Especially since the scene following had his friend looking a little creepy from Sakamoto's I would say misguided action. I would be happy if more jokes were like that.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote

Two medium-length skits for this week.

I was surprised Sakamoto agreed to the delinquents' "trade" but the creativity shown in pulling off all of the different stages of the assignment is typical of the series shown thus far. I'm not sure Sakamoto intended the delinquents to give up on watching the movies he managed to extract from the store, but it's still funny how he manages to keep his reputation intact and giving a lesson to the delinquents at the same time.

The sports festival skit is another example of Sakamoto's schoolmates going all out in an attempt to sabotage Sakamoto, yet none of their attempts succeed with even the final relay (no Olympic-standard rules on dropping the baton means the runner isn't disqualified) showing how thick the teflon skin of Sakamoto really is.

Another new character for next week with the Cultural Festival being the stage. If the pattern is anything like what viewers have been treated to so far, the result won't be in doubt with the process being the main interest.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

The episode with the competitive racing is funny. I like how Sakamoto once again overcomes obstacles in a god-tier fashion. I mean, yeah he makes the Leaning Tower of Pisa look really good.

I really wonder if he has any weakness at all. He just makes everything look way better than they appear to be. Also, Sera got a nice little moment at the end. Not a fan of Sera but at least he remains relevant in this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3