• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
High School Fleet (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote

Hai-Furi (TV)

Genres:
Themes:

Plot Summary:
"In the sea we live, the sea we protect, and by the sea we go."

Japan, 100 years after plate subductions caused many other countries to be submerged. To save the remaining countries, the coastal cities that had been built up were launched into the seas, and the seaborne routes between them expanded. With this expansion, a need for personnel that could safeguard the seas arose. Women began to seek employment in this new industry, and soon, the "Blue Mermaids," those who keep the sea safe, began to be a source of admiration for many. The childhood friends Akeno Misaki and Moeka China sought to become Blue Mermaids themselves, and together with others who shared their dream, they enrolled in Yokosuka's Marine High School.
----------------------------------
First and foremost, I'm immediately sold on... the all-girls cast. Truth be told. Embarassed
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is definitely not the typical slice of life with cute girls just doing cute things.

It gave me the Girls und Panzer vibe as well but with naval themes. Aniplex really pushed this show with their promotions so I expect good things coming from the show. So far, I think it's fairly good, exceeded my initial expectations. There's even some naval action too, something that I did not anticipate until seeing the episode. The main girl got promoted to captain...was not expecting that either.

I look forward to more for this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Someone watched Girls und Panzer and thought that it needed more ships. For those who have not seen that show, Girls und Panzer actually goes into some world building of a universe where schools being on ships is a common thing. It was an odd thing at first, but the series actually had quite a lot of details on it, and one of those was that there was a separate school system where the students actually control and maintain the ship. Hai-Furi almost feels like what would happen if we put the focus on those students instead. I can see that have the same series composition between the two, the "original work" is being done by who has been an advisor on military on several series including GuP.

We have all the "moe" aspects similar to GuP, I put in quotes because I think that despite being moe, there is an effort to make the students look able. It kind of got us into that sort of premise, but this series took it further with a surprise plot turn in suddenly being attacked and then labelled as mutineers. If they setting was getting me somewhat interested, this twist has gripped my attention in making me want to see more.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:47 am Reply with quote
That was Girls Und Panzer in the Pacific Theater, where it's more sensible to have a fleet of ships rather than a tank battalion. Same reconditioned WWII weapons... same zoom at the end of the episode used to world build. I liked that a lot so I'm enjoying this so far.

The comedy is very silly... "A slip on a banana peel near open water and no one falls in.. oh, spoke too soon.", the cook who concerns in a battle are more to do with broken cups and their one casualty, the rice cooker, the girl in the crows nest who has to take off her glasses to see better and the vice captain who is, let's be honest, Yuriko Star and Lt Yamamoto straight out of Captain Tylor...

And the ship itself too. The disrespectful Soyokaze becoming the disrespected Harekaze. And the cat's from Aria, why not. So far, I'm leaving the elephant in the room alone... maybe he'll go away if I don't mention it... And I just checked out the site reviews; One or two were so close to point but they couldn't see past the cute girls veneer? It's moe, it's just design and it shouldn't cloud people's opinion that much. And now that elephant's eyeballing me now...

Ok, Mike is Tylor. There, I've said it; Now pack your trunk and leave.

Ok. So far, so much other animes. I own them and love them so I gotta keep watching. It is entertaining, it's just not its own show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I really am starting to think that they were meant to fail from the beginning, that they were supposed to be used as an example to teach the others that they have to be careful. Only they have happened to be more competent than expected, beat the instructors who thought that the safety of the fleet was worth sacrificing one full of rejects.

I am guessing that maybe the German exchange ship thought that they could look good by taking out traitors and thus gave no warning beforehand, but the girl was against it and tried to make contact directly. I might further guess that she might even be the ship's captain because of the hat.

I am also guessing that the call for help is actually a trap set up to lure them in and then get everything covered up by getting rid of them.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
I actually got a good laugh at the cat's name being Isoroku! Quite fitting given the theme of the show.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 2

I really am starting to think that they were meant to fail from the beginning, that they were supposed to be used as an example to teach the others that they have to be careful. Only they have happened to be more competent than expected, beat the instructors who thought that the safety of the fleet was worth sacrificing one full of rejects.

I am guessing that maybe the German exchange ship thought that they could look good by taking out traitors and thus gave no warning beforehand, but the girl was against it and tried to make contact directly. I might further guess that she might even be the ship's captain because of the hat.

I am also guessing that the call for help is actually a trap set up to lure them in and then get everything covered up by getting rid of them.

Interesting theory but they used a dummy shell to fire at the initial ship. If the theory that spoiler[they sank it themselves] held true you would not want to sacrifice such an expensive piece of military tech to teach someone a lesson. The distress call is probably a trap though.

I will go for an alternative theory. We could be seeing the beginning of a war. We have the setting for a turncoat focusing the fire on someone else while they stay behind the scenes. An excuse for war in the form of a Japanese vessel striking a German vessel. They hinted that those with the worst grades are on the same ship (from a military standpoint this is ridiculous) so experience can be an excuse.

I am likely wrong though.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
This show is loads of fun imho. It's like Girls Und Panzer meets Kancolle mixed with hints of Arpeggio of Blue Steel and I'm even seeing a slight touch of Strike Witches to boot.

I love it.

True, there are some serious moments (especially during the end of the first two episodes) but overall, this is going to be fun show overall with lots of comedy and happy moments.

Now I rarely rarely rarely watch anime shows online (I mostly watch anime on TV).........but for me, High School Fleet is/was the show that made me decide to sign up to the Daisuki.net anime streaming service.

So yes, I'm definitely looking forward to this show even more Smile

P.S.
The World of Warships communities are having a field-day right now about this show Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
Interesting theory but they used a dummy shell to fire at the initial ship. If the theory that spoiler[they sank it themselves] held true you would not want to sacrifice such an expensive piece of military tech to teach someone a lesson.

The instructor panicked that not only did the failure ship and crew survive but actually manage to overcome an experienced crew and better ship, which could have the opposite effect of instilling a sense of seriousness in the rest. The ship was hit by the dummy torpedo, which would raise too many questions, so she took her own ship down to protect that non-live ammo was used, and brand failure ship a traitor. Maybe in hopes that this would make things safe.

Yeah, the theory is probably wrong, such early theories do usually turn out to be incorrect. The episode was putting a bit of focus on the mother of one of the girls' mother losing command of regular ships and (being forced to?) taking up instruction instead. With the conversation with the MC in the first episode on the captain supposed to be the "father" of the crew of the ship, I think the logic is there that the instructor thought the expense was worth it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I just binged through first 3 eps and this one is surprisingly good.

No doubt this has much to due with shows like Girl Und Panzer with a mix of seafaring obsession from media ala Kancolle.

The mystery is "what is going on" in the background, while our focus is of course on the girls it seems to be that certain members of the international community may not approve of such a naval ready Japan even if they are supposed to be only used for "defensive purposes".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Okay, it may have taken a turn based on the German student's recount that rather than their ship being mechanically sabotaged, something else is sabotaging other ships, but the crew and not the ship itself. The German girl said electronics went down shortly before the crew started disobeying orders and started to act strangely. Making guesses, maybe it is something hacks the electronic and unloads some sort of subliminal message that is causing the crew to go rogue? It looks like someone wants to set up the school as a problem, which opens up for motivation. One possibility is that the submarines may not have been under this effect, in which case we could b seeing a war on the odd system mentioned earlier that ship captains are women to supposedly prevent war, submarines apparently being the exception. Another is that someone just wants to start a fight with Japan itself. It might be that the age of the main ship has been preventing whatever is happening from working on the crew.

I have just wrote down theories, I guess it has gotten me interesting. It was good seeing that the principal of school is level headed, it is stopping some frustration.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
If you look at the screen at the beginning of the episode, they've lost contact with almost half of the ships including the Harekaze. All but the latter are clustered around a group of mostly submerged islands, which is likely the source of the phenomenon.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 3: The ships are filled with bosuns, the subs filled with seamen. If this was English, It'd be punny but I can't say it was intentional in Japanese.

*thinks about subs and teenage boys*
Yeah, it's intentional, isn't it? Words may be prisoners of language barriers but phallic symbols are universal.

That whole action scene was... you know, I didn't have to bring in Freud with Girls und Panzer... a sub filled with boys firing ten torpedoes... what an exact number, fired in pairs too; Sure, why not? I mean, the boys have two... I mean they have no self control... I mean they have no self restraint. One torpedo, one hit, where's the fun in that?

Anyway, they're attacking a cruiser filled with nothing but girls who after their first taste, avoid all of their advances and, let's just say it, kick them in the balls- they hit their protruding conning tower with a piece of their ship, there's no other way to describe it!- and run away.

Wow.

Wait, am I supposed to be getting something else from this?
Episode 3: In a pinch in pajamas
No, I think it's intentional and I'm actually impressed. Another example of the "cute girls doing cute things" genre... you know, like avoiding r...

I don't care about the mystery or the questions of who to trust. I'm in awe at what they're doing in terms of metaphor.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

We were bound to have a 'quiet' episode sometime after the action we've seen so far. But it did drive the plot forward so I'm not entirely complaining. However, I thought Hai-furi had gone from really cool to pretty damn stupid in the space of 5 minutes. We're wanted fugitives... so lets go shopping for toilet roll... yay! *rolls eyes*

Anyway, it looks as though the rats are the source of the craziness going on but we'll have to find out more as the show progresses. Oh, and if the Musashi has 'turned', then they're going to need alot more ships...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
So in less than 7 days 30 people went through 250 rolls of paper? That's like 35 rolls a day. Smile Also, I think there was a translation error, since 12.5 cm per day is slightly more than one sheet. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4