• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Joker Game (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Good show, not too good but not bad either.

I also find the way they did this week's episode to be rather artistic with the play. D-Agency is not to be underestimated! So yeah, I liked this series overall. Some of the storytelling in the second half were done better compared to the first few episodes imo. The way it explored many of the main characters was quite pleasant too.

Finale did somewhat lack the feeling of a finale though. Rating it as good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed Joker Game, though an issue is that the various vignettes meant that there was no real "grand story" (save for maybe inserting various date's as reference) which while executed well it simply is something to get used to.

In an ocean of Light Novel adaptations that create light comedy featuring overly bright moe 2-D girls, Joker Game was a refreshing piece that understands how to establish tone and relative suspense.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm so not up on uniforms. This is the second time I've initially thought I was looking at Red Army uniforms. The Siberian snow didn't help dispel that notion. Smile

Gotta say I wasn't too crazy about Yuuki's ridiculous sexism, appropriate for its time though it may be. Oh, please. Like men never kill for petty reasons. Rolling Eyes He must've gotten dumped in his youth.

I really love the music in this series. I very much want another season of this. We've only just gotten started with these guys.

Why is it that the stuff I like never gets picked up or it takes ages if it does? I waited for years for Monster, only to see that crash and burn, and nothing seems to be happening with this or Rakugo either. And yet a crapfest like Endride already has a simul-dub cooking. I expect an announcement for Big Order any day now... smh
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Jump right into talking about the series as a whole. Although the show had some mature atmosphere, I think that it kind of lacked a major story through the show to make it all feel well worthwhile. As far as mysteries go I think that Joker Game had a knack of especially only feeding you the revelations instead of giving you the pieces and working through them, giving the audience the chance to figure it out. Some episodes did break this though, I was particularly fond of the officer's house being blown up plot with the trail of corruption and missing body, but it was not a consistent feature. Others I would say was the boat, and some of the train.

Honestly I am probably on the low end of people who would have interest in this, I put no effort into really remembering the group of spies who lacked defining features. The series did raise some intrigue with Yuuki, but no payoff. The last comment from him kind of feels like a write off for maybe putting in some female spies, which could have been interesting. There was not really much in terms of animation to say was exciting, which I guess you could say that the tone of this kind of show, but I can think of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu for similar tone where it still managed to do something interesting.

I am probably going to annoy people who really enjoyed it, but I will give it a rating of So-so (5/10), it really did not grab my attention. It might have been a change of pace to other types of shows, but there was not much here that actually hooked me. I do not think it was actually bad, it just was not for me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
So I just watched a couple of 5 min OVAs called Black Cat Yoru's Adventure Pt 1-2, in which a local stray cat saves the D-Agency boys! Done totally seriously, and was all the more hilarious for it. The cat was great (and narrated it), it had drama and excitement and the melancholy air Joker Game delighted in, and the pictures in the end credits were priceless. Dig it up if you can, it's well worth the effort! Hopefully these will be on the blurays whenever they come out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4