• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
And you thought there is never a girl online? (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote

And you thought there is never a girl online? (TV)

Genres: Action, Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, School Life, Shounen, Slice of Life
Themes:

Plot Summary: Our naive protagonist proposed to a female character in an online game, only to find out that this player is actually a guy. Traumatized by that, he decided to never trust a girl online, but now, two years later, a female player is proposing to him. What will happen?
----------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Saw the episode and well, it was weird. I mean, the idea of guys or other characters using online avatars that really aren't themselves.

Animation wise, it was kinda of average imo. The series reminds me of Konosuba in a way but so far, I'm not too sold on the comedy yet. Hope it improves. Ako is quite a cute girl though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Saw the episode and well, it was weird. I mean, the idea of guys or other characters using online avatars that really aren't themselves.

Do you... not play online games? Quite aside from games that offer avatars of races like anthropomorphic lizards, trolls, gnomes, elves, etc that are unlikely to resemble any real life human being, guy in real life is an extremely common occurrence. The opposite is also frequently true.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
As an MMO gamer myself I can say that THERE ARE girls that play MMOs. My raid team in WoW had at least 2 female players (verified via Ventrillo/voice chat) who were not bad players (one was my GM and tank healer and the other was the Damage Warrior lead and a former hardcore raider) and I even know a girl who plays Guild Wars 2 in real life.

I haven't watched this show yet but it says the MC asked a female PC out and it turned out to be a guy in real life in the synopsis which I find hilarious as an actual MMO player (I actually exclusively play female characters as a guy but a lot of guys play female characters) as asking to date someone based on their in-game character with out meeting them in real life first is considered a VERY dumb move from what I gathered from almost a decade of MMO gaming. In reality I haven't seen anyone seriously ask anyone out in-game even if the other person was verified as a female through voice chat and social media links. Also to get this out of the way: the vast majority of people don't care that I play female characters as a guy (unless they're trolling).

Update: Just watched episode 1. Nothing really special there in my opinion. My WoW guild actually held real life offline meetings before hosted by our GM and Assistant GM (Husband and wife duo) but I could never attend. spoiler[This show may end up being a run-in-the-mill harem since all other major characters introduced are actually girls.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
So when are they going to get trapped in the game?

I found the ep to be pretty funny. I do have some experience in this regard. I knew someone online through instant messenger who self identified as female and yeah I did start falling for her. Eventually we got close enough where she admitted to actually being a guy. I didn't flip out like Hideki did but since I'm straight it killed any romantic feelings I might have had. We remained good friends, though.
Harvest-Sprite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
First, I don't understand why the articles for this website condemned the show so badly. There is only one episode so far, right? There is potential with... this overused video game premise.
I like that the characters met in reality a few times this episode. And seeing the game on Rusians computer was a nice detail. I loved these cute characters, even the dull main male character.
What will happen?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Anyone have any idea why funi's site labels this as TV-MA? The barest minimum fan service.

I got the first episode and it seems innocuous enough. It isn't taking itself too seriously and the characters actually have relatable reactions to things and situations. Its funny now "Rusian" is always getting killed through the neglect of his team mates.

Ako is something of a head case but other than that the characters act almost like normal people.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I can dig this. It is a topic I quite enjoy, a game avatar's character in relation to the player. I like Ako, and it goes beyond superficial moe attributes, although I do like the Tomoko look of being somewhat creepy, but as someone with pretty big social problems. Although my social problems kind of extend to MMO, I was planning to try and get into one recently with some extra time but getting into Dark Souls has kind of taken over for last couple months with gaming. I am going to guess her game character is her idolised self where she can be open with others, I would enjoy some psychological look at characters.

It is not the most amazing first episode, it could be pretty mediocre, but for some reason I feel my expectations rising.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man, that was pretty funny Anime hyper An online gamers fantasy indeed

I don't play too many MMO, but I do rock a female Hunter on Destiny because they look like the most badass characters in the game (still wrecking in Crucible with my Crota gear!). And Yea I do get a good amount of friends requests whenever I slap on a feminine shader.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
Count me in as one of those who now chooses female avatars in games. I just like staring at pretty girl pixels -- it's all about that ingame fashion. Female avatars usually get the better cosmetics.

I really like this episode (and show) so far. It hits so close to home because I was part of a clan/guild in a game where majority of the members lived in the same area. In fact, one of the members attended the same high school I did (and was in the same class as me, talk about coincidences!). The clan never did have any offline meetings but we always joked about it. Incidentally, I've done offline meetings with a friend in the same game -- met up twice on Thanksgiving at my place and went with him to AnimeBoston. But because I'm the awkward/shy type, I always found it hard to talk to people outside the computer screen.

Anyways, my [creepy] stories aside. I love the character designs for the show because it's Hisasi. As mentioned above, the story is semi-relatable so it interests me not only as a harem fan but also as a gamer. This show has the potential to explore relations of gamers online and offline but even if it doesn't, I don't think I would feel disappointed. The comedy worked for me and the "abnormality" of the characters draw me.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:26 am Reply with quote
I really liked the first episode. The show's a little unbelievable as not only all of them go to the same school, three of them are in the same class; I understand it's a necessity for the plot and maybe Japanese servers are lazy. Once I got past that, it's fine though.

The ingame humor was good while the outgame social interaction was less funny but still humorous. I am curious if the show will go with my initial feeling that Ako's just as clinging and annoying in real life as the game. Letting her out of her shell could be as bad for their classroom as releasing a Demon King in any fantasy game. The other three are closet MMO gamers but she was just shy. Let the "Wacky hijinks" commence!

But why is the teacher part of the promo cast image? Unless the show goes "Lucky Star" on us... Oh yeah, that still is a possibility, isn't it? It's not like their group has an archer or thief.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Now that I got used to the comedy of this show a bit, I think it was funny. It mostly sets up for the rest of the episodes/season but I think the episode did a fair job with Ako's personality and the fact that she has trouble separating game and reality.

I kinda felt bad for Nishimura and Segawa in class there LOL.

Looking forward to see how far they will go with this new Game Club they just formed.

FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Caught the second episode, it was amusing but still not hitting the "I MUST see what happens next" mark of entertainment.
This will likely be a back burner I return to sometime after the completed run.

THAT said, it gave me a few smirks with Ako's chuunibyou induced inability to see the nuances of gaming life vs real life interactions.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
^ I'll have to agree with the above.

Question: does anyone know what Universal Studio's involvement in this is? That's not a name I associate with anime. (The logo and sound are pretty impressive when played at theater quality.)

As promised, Ako is quite the head case. Inability to separate fantasy and reality is a clinical indicator of mental illness and she is just a short step away being on par with those guys that murder women's clinic workers. Maybe she is already there and it is just circumstance that she isn't full yandere already.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

The tone does not seem to be going on that side, but Ako's actions are pretty terrifying. She had never really met with him before and is "in love" with him, that is like kind of messed up that she is so readily into him, it almost feels stalker like.

No real evidence that it is going to take it more seriously, but I am going to actually going onto the side that we are slightly being mislead. I think that we are seeing her project her in game persona into real life because she is maybe even more miserable than we can see. I thought the first episode when he accidentally ran into her she acted more than a little different than not just knowing he is her husbando. Just a really small scene, but she seemed to have a major confidence problem that it would seem out of place in having confidence to speak up so much, making me think it would be more than simply thinking people in games act like they do and have the same relationship in real life.

So far she is portrayed as a bit moe with the odd joke of being a bit scary, but I think it is a bit sad. That even if she has abandonment issues in game, her real life side might be even worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5