• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
And you thought there is never a girl online? (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Quote:
I think y'all are reading too much into it.

No, I was trying to avoid reading too much into it, which is why I asked. The business of using A-ko and B-ko to indicate girl-A and girl-B also appears in the Skip Beat manga so it is not that uncommon.

Shortly after I got into anime, I had a discussion with someone who was studying Japanese. They informed me that many names can be written with different characters even when pronounced the same. That being why people sometimes state the characters in their name when introducing themselves in manga. They then informed that, depending on the context, a given kanji can have different pronunciations and meanings. At that point I decided that if I thought I saw a connection, that I would ask first. It saves a lot of embarrassment.

I do find it interesting that the characters in a person's name have meanings independent of the name. I think that on some occasions that these may have meaning in the story but that it gets lost in translation.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Ep 3
Teacher clotheslines student, that was amusing.

It was also a good chuckle when they judged Ako's gear set up was all aesthetics with improper stats.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Man these classroom scenes with Ako and Russian are hard to watch, especially with all of the students watching them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I think that there are a couple hard edges with the story telling, but I am enjoying the story under that enough to not care so much.

I continue to have some questions about Ako. If she is so alone that she likely spends a lot of time playing games, even often not going to school, then why isn't she better at it? It is really weird that she struggles at it when a lot of implications seem to imply that it is an out that she is too invested in. Is she pretending to actually be bad at the game with the thought that it might make her look cute? Not saying that it is likely to happen, but I think that it would be funny if we found out that maybe she is competent but thinks having him help her will do better. But if that is not the case, what is she putting her energy into?

Bear costume and leek for the win. Looks vs practicality is an important debate in games. Had been wrestling with it recently in having to wear ugly armour that has high poison resistance in Dark Souls in getting through poisonous swamps. Sure I can take some poison gas, but the in game description of the helmet even says that it is meant to humiliate the wearer.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Now that Nekohime turned out to be the pretty sensei, Rusian should pursue his original romance option. I'd support it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Oh wow, I spotted a yandere-ish looking Ako from the latest episode. I mean, a bit of jealousy? The dating montage was adorable though with the music.

In the meantime, I wonder how Ako will respond next time?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Cool that the anime is touching on some video game trends. It has already touched on pay-to-win. "Mystery boxes" are a common thing in games today. Ton of youtubers just make videos of them opening lots of these boxes or whatever. I think the whole concept is pretty cool, but I'd never spend money for a chance at something.

The newbie girl (who obviously is Shwein's pink haired friend) being "bad at chatting" was oddly presented by making it seem like she's mentally handicapped or something. I think the way the anime handles in-game is fine, but that just how it made me feel there.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Ok, that was an amusing gag where you have the guy with blond hair and the buster sword named Cloud because anyone that has played some MMO has met that player (or alternatively the guy with overly long silver hair named Sephiroth).
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Lol oh yea, those dudes huddling around cat girl were definite white knights. Rusian, on the other hand, is a straight up sherpa. I've helped my fair share of newbies through raids and strikes, and you definitely need tons of patience :/ I remember one time it took me 7 hours to guide a group through a raid... 7 hours...

Bouncing off the previously mentioned approach to the broken speech pattern of the pink hair girl in game, I thought that was spot on. It's definitely believable that a person entirely new to video games would have trouble with something as simple as chat. Especially in MMOs when you have an enormous set of options in front of you. Jarring. I see all sorts of typos in Paragon from the team chat. I myself am still getting accustomed to it :p
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Ako's problems seem to be less possible bullying, and instead something more introverted. I will hold out on possible more specific diagnosis, but I have my experience of introversion with difficulties with talking to others. It kind of makes it all the more impressive that she was able to open up, good thing she feels accepted. Although I get a little laugh out of her little yandere like moments, but because they feel like a little joke, some of it makes her feel not quite healthy.

The more I kind of watch this, the more it feels kind of easy. It does not feel too high in the general format a great deal of other otaku shows, and somewhat easy to follow. I know it looks a lot like harem, but I would be happy if it did not go that way Schwein could probably just do with some friends she can share a hobby with, and the master having friends.

We can be pretty sure the newbie is pink haired girl. I kind of like what they did with broken speech so far. We can only assume she is sticking to Rusian because she heard that name, and coming to him to help, not currently knowing the group around him is the others, otherwise she would probably cling to her friend.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
i enjoy how this show tackles the cliches of gaming and stereotypes that come with it. And I don't mean Doritos and Mt. Dew. Things such as a mystery boxes and gambling your luck on them, the typical player named after Cloud*, and the newbie's way of chatting. these cliches are something we've all faced as gamers. I definitely agree that this show is easy to follow but I'm not sure if it's due to my experience with games. You definitely don't need deep knowledge but most casual experiences with MMORPGs give off these experiences. That aside, the encounter with the newbie gave me a good laugh. One, because it mirrored the fantasy Ako had earlier. Two, Ako's reactions make it all the funnier. Schwein's reactions this episode were the funniest to watch, though. I can relate to her especially since I'm a bit secretive about my own hobbies outside close friends. Having that hobby known by others often gives me anxiousness and a level of shame. If I could only embrace it like the others.

*The years when X (name) X or I (name) I were popular. Fun times.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Hmm, I'm glad to see Ako being able to clear the air with Nishimura though in her room. It started a little lewd by accident but they got the point across.

Also, Ako's mom is one fine woman. The game tropes with the gun stuff in the beginning was also kinda amusing. I find Ako more likeable after this week's episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting the "Does it taste like me?" line, but it never came. Ako has a pretty cool mom. And HOT. Summer is coming. I'm starting to really like Ako and Schwein, both had some good moments this episode. Lol at the president's use of bazooka against infantry in a military shooter. Everyone hates that. Killed her teammate, Schwein, too. I'd be furious.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Looks like the president's method cheap tricks in games extends beyond pay to win in some, and explosive suicides in other games. Ako is surprising apt at fps sniping.

Are they officially a couple now? It does not have to be anything physical, that is beyond what he is comfortable with, but they have reached a point where it is more than just friends. I am going to say it, I feel there is a likelihood as a person she would be suffering from Aspergers syndrome, I don't want to throw such a thing around too much, but like Tomoko I think she has it or at least some sort of high functioning autism. I think their similarities go beyond similar hair, she kind of feels like a more moe version. I guess I empathise with her, and I like how she is portrayed as flawed, I do wish she could maybe show some talents, but that kind of feels like room for character growth. Honestly I thought it was funny when she made the joke of making him think she uses bottles right when serving a yellow liquid. I even think that her mother is kind of cool she does not push too hard, that a fridge in her room may be some level of giving her independence. Some of her actions rather than fetish like kind of feel along the lines that she has problems understanding certain things.

Oh, also, I really liked Ako saying things like "death match".
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Ah this episode, got some laughs from it with Ako trying to pass her test (and getting kinda burnt out in the end lol). The talk about the marriage stuff between the girls was also silly.

I find the ending really funny though for some reason mostly because of how easy Ako "rejected" that confession. And the aftermath dance lol. I think Ako's lack of common sense can really hit the roof these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5