• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hundred (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
First episode wasn't bad but it wasn't exactly amazing either. It's pretty standard but there's somewhat of an appeal to it for me. I'm not sure what exactly draws me even though I found it quite formulaic/cliched (which is to be expected). Maybe the art? I can't be sure, it feels like it has level of budget so far.

Definitely not a fan of the blonde-drills-Queen-student-president girl so far but I'm sure she'll liven up and be less serious afterwards. I understood her reasoning but it was still stupid reasoning, imo. As for Emile, I'm sort of iffy about the "totally not a girl!" aspect. Why the need to hide the gender? I mean, I wasn't a fan of the comedy they used with it because it wasn't all that effective. Guess they'll delve into it later.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Would have almost been more interesting if there was not really any heroine like this and Emile was just an effeminate guy.

So someone like Hastur from Nyarko? Laughing Come to think of it, what series has have an actual effeminate male actually in the harem (that's not BL/yaoi)?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Second episode imo is better but that's not saying much. The only part that I was quite interested in was the fight and Hayato's mysterious powers coming to surface for a moment. Other than that, everything else is what I've seen hundreds (no pun intended) of times before.

I can't get that ED theme song spinning out of my head right now Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
That was worthwhile duel, it shows off that our male lead can do a power up BUT at the same time he isn't completely over powered by showing that a more experienced fighter will still one up him.

The humor is fine, even the ecchi moments aren't overly excessive.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Naturally there had to be a scene where the main character accidentally gropes the girl's boobs. The duel was decent. This main character is still mildly annoying me. He seemingly wasn't bothered at all when the president was mocking him, declaring not to fight at full strength. He has this very wishy washy attitude. He doesn't make any witty comments, he's not cocky or doesn't seem all that idealistic. I hope he pulls out some interesting character trait soon, because he seems so boring right now. But at least he isn't overpowered (yet?) since despite the power up he still lost to a more experienced fighter. Emile is a bit more interesting. She is confident and eager to prove herself.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I got interrupted and had to stop watching the second episode about when the alert sounded. I just realized that I had no real interest in going back to finish the episode. I guess that is it for me on this series unless I hear of something interesting in the future.

A show as by the numbers as this lives or dies on its characters. With the exception of Emile non of them were interesting enough to care about.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
So Emile is willing to flat out lie about her gender to Karen? How does she think that's going to go down once she's found out?

There is so much about this show that screams mediocrity. One thing I noted is the total lack of a "crowd track" in the stadium. They might as well been fighting in an empty room.

Hayato is quite the busy guy. He has been on board for less then 48 hours and already obtained his hundred, trained by Emile, done a duel with the president, then recruited into the student council and on top of that an active fighting force. And he has yet to attend a single class. Talk about just going through the motions: this anime is doing it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

It is growing on me a little bit, but still the student council are terrible people. "I was just here to apologise." But she did not apologise, instead she was trying to interrogate him after she forced him into a duel where by she then used excessive force, she is obsessed with looking strong, and yet setting up that she is actually noble.

Emile so far is the most interesting character. She (it feels pretty obvious) was the one that challenged the expulsion, she trained him, she seems to have secrets, she was buttering up his sister (to mixed results), and she then challenged to prove herself in an interesting cocky way against the council. Even the misconceptions of a date when everyone thinks she is a boy were kind of entertaining.

EmbraceMe wrote:
So someone like Hastur from Nyarko? Laughing Come to think of it, what series has have an actual effeminate male actually in the harem (that's not BL/yaoi)?

Megumu from If Her Flag Breaks is another, and maybe Totsuka from My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. Arguably the cutest characters in their series too.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Hayato is quite the busy guy. He has been on board for less then 48 hours and already obtained his hundred, trained by Emile, done a duel with the president, then recruited into the student council and on top of that an active fighting force. And he has yet to attend a single class. Talk about just going through the motions: this anime is doing it.

Yeah I was thinking when they said that they had a day off that they have not even had class yet.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
I guess the President did soften up, both figuratively and literally. I guess she's not as much of a bitch as I thought she would be so she's a character I can handle for now. While the battle has some tropes, specifically the berserk mode, I think I'm glad it uses those earlier than later. Better to expose it earlier than have it as some power up later on. The little sister's interrogation of Emile had some funny questions and we obviously know Emile's answers are "lies." I like how she interpreted Emile sharing food as trying to get on her good side (potentially wooing).

One thing I'm particularly surprised by is how little fanservice we have so far if we exclude the groping. I'm not sure if the absence of fanservice will bother me but if they're focused on the story, I guess I won't feel too bothered. It's nice to have some more story orientated harem shows. Actually, Claire's breast consistency is a bit of a noticeable problem too. In her skintight suit, they're huge but when Emile fights Liddy, they shrunk. They look better small.

DuskyPredator wrote:

Megumu from If Her Flag Breaks is another, and maybe Totsuka from My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. Arguably the cutest characters in their series too.

Huh, I completely forgot about those two although I won't count the latter as really active in the harem. As for them being the cutest. . . I was more of a Okiku fan in the former, Kuuko in Nyarko, and a Saki fan in Teen SNAFU.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Huh, I completely forgot about those two although I won't count the latter as really active in the harem. As for them being the cutest. . . I was more of a Okiku fan in the former, Kuuko in Nyarko, and a Saki fan in Teen SNAFU.

Well in general I was talking about the general feminine and moe way, which is what they tend to do with these characters to highlight the trait of being male despite their characteristics. Preferences to cool beauty types notwithstanding.

So far without a reveal of her she has come across as the most feminine with her touching and stuff when interacting with him, despite her other traits of a strong sense of justice and quite cocky.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if Emile would actually let Hayato make a decision by himself. And I certainly wouldn't mind of Claire's two flunkies were grievously injured in this upcoming fight, thus talking them out of the show for a while. how they are constantly wrong about what Claire would do is a mystery
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

It was all good until Emile (Emilia) teleported to where Hayato was and then kissed him, then all the accidental gropings in addition to Emile (Emilia) being able to suppress Hayato's virus powers by kissing him... Suffice it to say, my opinion of this show dropped slightly.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
"and the band of student slayers defeat an UNKNOWN power leveled enemy with no established collateral damage of significance".

It is something that apparently there were no repercussions, a broken arm, some "battle damage" of significance at least more than "my body suit got scratched!".

We have "seen" this type of series before, so far it is simply humming by and it will need to raise the stakes in some manner or at least make the monsters damage actually be believable.

To compare it with a series co running this season, Twin Exorcist well establishes that "the operation can go bad in a huge way" this first "emergency sortie" in Hundred was poorly executed as a narrative piece.

Also, shouldn't the student council president be more aware of her own power limits? It just makes the character look like an idiot if she wasn't aware she had enough energy for only one full powered shot for the day.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
He was totally going to kiss (make out with) her, but then we still end up with a scene he has to say that they were not doing anything and then accidentally kiss the other girl.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Sooooo, Sakura had her eyes set on Hayato after realizing who he is.

I guess that establishes her as another member entering his harem? Weird episode this week. That "marriage proposal" popped out of nowhere. I wonder how Claire would feel about that if she found out. Would be hilarious. They better also remove the censors from the BDs...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Hayato teasing Sakura seemed a bit out of character though he did seem embarrassed doing it. I'm shipping those two who dueled Hayato and Emilia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5