• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Flying Witch (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote

Flying Witch (TV)

Genres: Magic
Themes: Witches

Plot Summary: 15-year-old Makoto Kowata is a witch. Accompanied by her black cat Chito, the somewhat aimless girl moved from Yokohama to live with her second cousin in Aomori in verdant northern Japan.
----------------------------------

A fantasy-slice of life series by J.C. Staff Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Wow, that was great, got everything I had anticipated and expected.

It maintained the atmospheric setting quite well while there's chemistry between the characters already. Then, there's a feeling of nostalgia about Makoto when she returned to town.

I like the parts with the magic too including the flying broomstick and pulling of the mandrake. Chito is an adorable cat too to supplement the witch theme. Definitely looking forward to this show every week!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Having watched the first 1/2 episodes of the shows I was interested in this season, Flying Witch is standing head and shoulders above the rest. Absolutely amazing first episode. The animation is on serious point. Never heard of the studio behind it before today but they must have sold some hardcore drugs to get the budget they needed for the animation.

Makoto is an awesome lead and easy contendor for this season's Best Girl. She seems like a bit of an airhead but actually seems to have a better grasp of what she's doing than it might appear, as evidenced with a particular plant.

Thankfully this episode didn't keep us waiting too long for the magic. The scenes with the broom were amazingly well done and the reaction faces hilarious.

All in all, this one is absolutely exceeding my expectations. Can't wait to see how the rest of show goes from here. Between this, Anne Haspy, and Pan de Peace! there's plenty of soul soothing anime this season.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
That was great, this will probably be the best "relax-o-vision" show for the season.

The mandrake gag had my laughing a storm.

What sets this apart from many other shows is that is has an honest heart, it isn't about panty shots or "being the best" nor being the absolute bad ass in shonen fighter world, and at the end of the day sometimes you NEED that show that is simple and heartfelt.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Damn, J.C.Staff can really surprise me at times with the sheer differences of projects. Witch Craft Works and Magimoji Rurumo, two anime that they have handled with witches before, but this is a totally different feel. A soft healing anime in the true sense of the word, totally removed of the expected aspects and kind of feel real despite the fantasy elements seeping in. For some odd reason I am a little reminded of Maria the Virgin Witch.

Such a pleasant pace that I would say uses breaks to sell a mood rather than feeling like it is trying to fill time, somewhat close to say Non Non Biyori. The sudden creepy mandrake was also sold in a contrast to the mood also. This was a really good first episode.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
I think I have seen or read too much fantasy involving magical ingredients.

I suspected a mandrake as soon as she started pulling on it. It was confirmed when she said "cover your ears". I wasn't expecting it to be as loud or prolonged though. Shocked
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
Could that be partly because of your age? Or do series actually surprise you with new elements from time to time? Hope this question doesn't offend you in any way. Just curiosity.

Anyway, I'm on board for this show. I love good slice of life, preferably without classic moe elements. So.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
Only in the very limited sense that having been around longer has given me more time to read. Laughing I really doubt that many people my age would have made that reference.

It wasn't something I reasoned out, in fact, my first thought when I saw it was that it was a daikon radish. I'm sure that is what the Japanese audience was intended to think. However, mandrake root is very much a staple of any magic related fiction, much like the philosopher's stone or Solomon's seal. It was only a second before I realized that a witch would not be pulling a radish as "something special" and mandrake root popped up.

My take on originality is that it is vastly overrated. Execution of the elements you use is much more important. As in this show, an old magic element proved very entertaining because it was used well.

I can't really answer your question about elements surprising me because I don't look for that sort of thing. I'm very poor at analyzing entertainment and disinclined to do so even if I could. I suspect this is a fixed mindset though I couldn't say if it is inherited or learned. Do your studies shed light on that?
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, this one's a keeper. Didn't know about it until I read the preview guide, but I very much enjoyed the first episode. It reminds me of why I like Kiki's Delivery Service so much.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
@Alan: I only started the residency this month and will have an introduction course tomorrow. If you ask me in about 4.5 years, you might have a bigger chance of success Wink.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
@A Mystery

I was joking, I really do not think that "Analysis of Entertainment, the spectrum" is actually in the DSM. I do, however, think that how you approach entertainment is more or less built into your personality structure. It is obvious that people such as the reviewers here, official and unofficial enjoy looking at the structure of the shows and determining why they do or do not like them. I tend to see it like pulling the wings off a butterfly to see why it is so beautiful flying. It sucks all the enjoyment out of a show I like.

I think either approach is fine depending on what you like.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

So we got a strange character showing up and I find Chinatsu's reactions to be rather priceless. And of course, it was all cleared up soon with an explanation. They adapted at least two chapters but not in chronological order. Not sure how I feel about that but the episode imo was still good.

The OP and ED theme songs are also well performed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I was utterly shocked after the first story that half the episode had actually passed, some sort of magic that I did not realise so much time had gone by.

I was kind of thinking some sort of twist would pop up with the sister at the end of the second half, but instead I would say we got a kind of familiarly realistic scene where the kid just kind of looks on in disgust. Also the way he was treating her by playing with her face felt somehow genuine.

*yawn* I think the episode kind of made me sleepy, and I am not sure that is entirely a negative thing as if just getting bored.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

This is such a perfect relaxer. The atmosphere in this show is through the roof. So laid back.

Makoto is too kawaii for this show. The scene of her spoiler[excited for finding her way home by herself only to go the wrong way to her room] was an expected but still hilarious moment.

The best part this episode did, for me, was during the spoiler[ scene of Kei and Makoto cooking when she starts teasing Kei about how feminine he is. Majority of anime would have used this scene to have Kei start shouting about how much of a man he is, blah blah blah. Instead, he plays along with it perfectly and says he'd probably be pretty popular with the guys. This instantly made him more likeable than 98% of characters in anime. Absolutely nailed that scene.]

This show is still standing head and shoulders above the rest of the shows this season for me. It would have to go downhill very quickly at this point to change that. Flying Witch: Anime of the Season.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Makoto's sister is cool, I like her already. She has a fun personality while also demonstrating some magical talent.

First half of the episode had a weird pacing though but I liked the second half quite a bit. Hope to see more of her this season. As usual, Chinatsu's face was so priceless this episode when she saw her disguised.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5