• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Keijo!!!!!!!! Aquatic Sports Anime's 1st Key Visual Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
How is it not "fanservicey"?
Yes, it does use overt sexualization, one glance at the huge rack of a girl who is supposed to be an athlete, and you know that they care about sexualization rather than realism.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Remember when shounen was about badass fights and over-the-top special attacks?
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:36 am Reply with quote
LMAO so this is like the reverse version of free! But with even more sexualized
Thornister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:44 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Kinda ironic because Keijo is all about it (dunno if intended, if so, sorry). For the guys who talk about fanservice, it's like guys here say. There's fanservice but the contest is to use it in such an absurd way you would just laugh your ass off. Just go and search Keijo on twitter, I'll post a two examples of how it works.
https://twitter.com/uminchu4179/status/697180126472069120
https://twitter.com/yata_karasu9/status/695412488800612352

I always looked at Keijo as a parody of the over dramatic shounen sport manga.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:55 am Reply with quote
Ah, so it's toned down fan service...because it is comedic?

RistuLaw wrote:
it has 8 volumes already, so it must at least has some content.

How many volumes of To Love-Ru are there? Laughing

Looking at those 2 images above, doesn't seem like something I'd be too interested in. But, I think I may have a look at the first episode, when it comes out.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Yes, I do. Since Keijo!!!!!!!! is exactly that. In one chapter, the MC avoided falling off by using her swimsuit to hang on to the opponents' nipple. If that's not badass, I don't know what is. And did I mention Gate of Babylon with butts?
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

No, because that was never what shounen was about. Shounen's about appealing to a young audience, and that doesn't have to include crazy battles.

School Rumble is a shounen, for example.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote
The premise had my curiosity, but this key image got my attention. I really love the character designs. Hopeful a good staff and studio is involved.
motormind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
I've been following the manga for a while now, and I have to say: the artist surely knows how to draw hot babes in bathing suits! The character designs in this visual follow the original to a high degree, which is nice. I like it how most girls have normal body sizes (well, compared to most other fanservice works out there, anyway).

I saw some comparisons with Free!, but I don't think that holds up. The biggest draw of Keijo!!!!!!!! is seeing pretty babes slug it out with their tits and butts. Unfortunately, that's all that is every going on. We hardly get any character development, or even any more signs of friendship between the girls beyond mere admiration. There's lots of rivalry, though, but there is not much depth to any of that either. I think most of the things they show in the manga would be extremely dangerous too, leading to lots of broken ribs, hips and limbs.

I do like the main character, though, and I am curious whether her anime counterpart will hold up.

On a side note: I am amazed about how almost every manga I like gets an anime adaptation. Maybe I should start working as a scout?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:01 am Reply with quote
I haven't read this yet. But,I can well imagine what the sequel to this'll be like. Our heroine and her family will move to America to spread the gospel of this sport to the land of the free. But,it won't be easy. She will have to contend with a N.O.W.-type organization (National Organization for Women for the benefit of those outside the U.S.) led by a woman who's a caricature of Gloria Steinem and who's as warm and cuddly as Andrea Dworkin was when she was alive,which wasn't a whole lot at all.
She will also have to face off against an immigrant competitor from a country that Japan doesn't like very much and who sneers at the heroine because she's Japanese. But,her new American and immigrant friends help beat these obstacles and she ends up triumphant and her sport gains mainstream U.S. and worldwide acceptance. Or at least,that's how I imagine it. What will do you guys think?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
^That would be extremely unlikely since not all anime has to have an American setting andin fact most of them don't
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
It's like the series is daring me to make fun of the amount of exclamation points being used here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2