• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Silent Voice GN 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
If the author's goal for this volume was to make his readers despise Miki, then mission accomplished. At least Naoka has some level of self-awareness about her garbage personality.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
If the author's goal for this volume was to make his readers despise Miki, then mission accomplished. At least Naoka has some level of self-awareness about her garbage personality.
I agree. So far, this series isn't doing either of those two favors in my eyes.

The last two chapters of this volume is namely what got to me. I told myself I wouldn't find out what will happen next until the next volume, but after reading it, I had to spoil it for myself on Crunchyroll. XP
Krulcifer Einfolk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
waiting for the movie to come!
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote

This is not this Volumen's goal.

That's the whole Manga goal.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote

Yep, a job pretty well done.

I wasn't surprised about what happens towards the end of this volume, as that part I did have spoiled. But, I also don't see it as something the character wouldn't do. Mainly down to one thing, whenever the character has smiled, the vast majority of them looked...painful to me.

As if they were just papering over the cracks with a smile, but maybe I'm just misinterpreting the art style in this series.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote
I feel like your interpretation is pretty spot on with mine, Ali07. That's how I felt about a lot of the early scenes with those characters. As for Miki, well, as much as I never grew to like her, I can't say her reactions aren't realistic. Not every character is going to have the strength of heart to admit to their own faults, even to themselves. :/
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I also agree with that interpretation, especially in the early volumes. The roughness of the art also makes it seem even more raw, I think.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I had one question as to what Satoshi thinks of Miki now. I mean he comes off as this individual that hates bullying, but yet he manages to stand there and watch Miki just go in on Tomohiro. Funny thing was I was trying to figure out where he was coming from, but he has his own insecurities. The author makes that plain based on the "lines" drawn around him. Like someone who has deep anxiety issues and cannot control his reality around him. The only thing he can control is what's in his head.

As for Shoya, he's got a lot of deal with. And again it's that whole "forced" thing. He wonders if what he's doing is right by forcing it and feeling uncomfortable instead of things occurring naturally.

Volume 6 is a long way off.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:59 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one who thought this about the character's smile! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1