• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Are Short Anime Series Shown on Television?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh! That makes sense. I started really getting into short anime last year too. Thank you! I had been wondering this too.
MKVarana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Nowadays, we also have the relatively new block Ultra Super Anime Time, that gives us 3, ~8 minute anime each season, such as Miss Monochrome.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Must make for some very careful setting of times on video recorders. Very Happy

This is not completely unknown in north america; here in the rocky mountain time zone, two of my local stations wanted to add 5 more minutes of sports news on their 10 o'clock shows, so everything coming after gets bumped back that much ( Late Show starts at 10:35, etc. ). It's been that way for years.

And there used to be a Canadian station in the '70's ( Lethbridge, if I remember right ) that showed movies uncut for commercial time or any censoring, so if they started a movie at 8 PM, the next one would start at like 10:18 or whenever. The local paper did print a schedule for it, so you could try to plan to see stuff, but it was weird. And it changed from day to day.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
This dovetails with Lucky Star's Konata's lament about baseball season starting with games that can run long and play havoc with her late night Anime.

I can imagine what having a train that runs late or a bus that breaks down would do to ruin your day in Japan.

Mark Gosdin
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
This is a pretty good example about how we Americans tend to assume that our way of doing things is the only way of doing things.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
a funyn thing is that 20+ yeras ago there was only one national tv network in this country; so whena new tv network emerged oneof their strategies to getmore viewers was to offset their shows 10 mintus or so, so if people did not like a certian show in the old network they coudl still catch shows as they started in the new one.
MavenRaven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
You see this a little if you watch the NHK English channel and some of their 5 and 15 minute shows. Although I'd never thought that timings would be this precise.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Must make for some very careful setting of times on video recorders.

Actually, I bet that (barring a major incident preempting a show) you can just use the EPG and rely on it to be correct. Unlike here in Australia where (especially on the free-to-air channels) I need to set a 30-minute overrun (or record the following show) to be reasonably sure that I don't miss the end.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
a funyn thing is that 20+ yeras ago there was only one national tv network in this country; so whena new tv network emerged oneof their strategies to getmore viewers was to offset their shows 10 mintus or so, so if people did not like a certian show in the old network they coudl still catch shows as they started in the new one.

When Ted Turner put WTBS up on the satellite many years ago, they switched to starting at :05 and :35, so that people might browse the major network offerings and switch to TBS if they couldn't find something to watch.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Forget the viewer end, I'm more interested in the extra difficulty it makes for scheduling. What do you do if there's a minute or two (or five or fifteen) left over? Just add in more commercials for padding?
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Forget the viewer end, I'm more interested in the extra difficulty it makes for scheduling. What do you do if there's a minute or two (or five or fifteen) left over? Just add in more commercials for padding?
I assume the following season the start times would change. these odd time slots are stable, but only during the actual runtime, i'd think. Shows are paid to be on air, so these companies have a willing array of filler trying to get on their networks. It isn't 'easier' but it does allow for more variety.

In short, these shorts -are- the infomercials added for padding.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Ummm, you do know we have Adventure time right?
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Ummm, you do know we have Adventure time right?

Adventure Time runs two 12-minute eps back to back, usually. When mixed with commercials, this forms one full half-hour episode.

Anyway, now I wonder if the Japanese regularly end their news story ads with something akin to "Tonight, at 11:13."
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:34 am Reply with quote
I remember Cartoon Network used to show short cartoons after movies, etc to pad out the timeslot. This might be kinda similar. I've noticed more and more shows on CN are running 15 minutes instead of 30. I haven't gotten into any short anime, but I've been meaning to check out the new Tenchi shorts at least.

Every once in a while in the US, you'll find a show beginning at an odd time, but that's usually on TCM, HBO, Starz, etc, channels that run uncut movies with no commercials. Movies of course can run as long/short as they need to.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean the trains in Japan actually run on time, Mussolini-style? Around here, I can't rely on the buses to even show up, let alone get anywhere on time. Trains get delayed a lot too, especially if someone decides to park their car on the train tracks to commit insurance fraud.

Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Must make for some very careful setting of times on video recorders. Very Happy

This is not completely unknown in north america; here in the rocky mountain time zone, two of my local stations wanted to add 5 more minutes of sports news on their 10 o'clock shows, so everything coming after gets bumped back that much ( Late Show starts at 10:35, etc. ). It's been that way for years.

And there used to be a Canadian station in the '70's ( Lethbridge, if I remember right ) that showed movies uncut for commercial time or any censoring, so if they started a movie at 8 PM, the next one would start at like 10:18 or whenever. The local paper did print a schedule for it, so you could try to plan to see stuff, but it was weird. And it changed from day to day.

As for nationwide TV, the SyFy Channel used to, and still does, air everything at roughly :58 and :28 instead of :00 and :30, though it reports its schedules at :00 and :30. The purpose seems to be to prevent people from recording to watch later, though it can be circumvented once you learn when the programs actually begin and manually set the times yourself. You still have to deal with SyFy's bumpers in the MIDDLE of commercial breaks though, which run by themselves (as opposed to pairs, like any other network) and are designed to throw off recording devices' bumper detection.

Based on what people say about some TV stations airing things a bit later, I'd bet SyFy does this to prevent people from tuning away and to abandon whatever shows on other channels come right before them if they want to catch the beginning of whatever is on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2