• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Wake Up, Girls! Anime Short's Title, World Premiere, New Character Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I feel like we've been cut off from this franchise, since the last two installments were movies that we don't have streaming here (and nothing WUG! related is on physical media here, though I think Sentai is involved with the license to some degree, if only to put it on Hulu). Pity, as it's the idol franchise I've most enjoyed, and they were headliners at Anime Central a few years back.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Minami looks 20 in an airline hostess outfit. They rest also look much older than they are.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I feel like we've been cut off from this franchise, since the last two installments were movies that we don't have streaming here (and nothing WUG! related is on physical media here, though I think Sentai is involved with the license to some degree, if only to put it on Hulu). Pity, as it's the idol franchise I've most enjoyed, and they were headliners at Anime Central a few years back.

Yeah, same. It's really frustrating. Of all of the idol stuff I've seen, Wake Up, Girls! is easily my favorite, yet no one seems to care about it over here. The number of people who have rated it on Crunchyroll and My Anime List is abysmal. It does look like Sentai has home video rights for the TV series, so I am holding out for a Blu-ray release of that. But they are taking their time. And the movies are still nowhere to be found... Crying or Very sad
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Yeah, same. It's really frustrating. Of all of the idol stuff I've seen, Wake Up, Girls! is easily my favorite, yet no one seems to care about it over here. The number of people who have rated it on Crunchyroll and My Anime List is abysmal. It does look like Sentai has home video rights for the TV series, so I am holding out for a Blu-ray release of that. But they are taking their time. And the movies are still nowhere to be found... Crying or Very sad
Wait, Sentai licensed WUG? When did this happen? If true, then about time. I share your sentiments though. After re-watching it WUG is creeping up to "favorite anime" level for me. Its a shame there is next to nothing available in the US. (which surprises me, because Crunchyroll seemed to be promoting them, WUG performed in one of the conventions, and Yamakan was at AX to promote it). At least they are still doing new projects for the franchise.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Its a shame there is next to nothing available in the US. (which surprises me, because Crunchyroll seemed to be promoting them, WUG performed in one of the conventions, and Yamakan was at AX to promote it). At least they are still doing new projects for the franchise.

Well, we got the first movie, the series, and Wake Up Girls Zoo, so that's not exactly "nothing". But you're right about Crunchyroll promoting WUG: at Anime Central 2014, the autographs were at Crunchy's booth (I have a signed poster on my wall) and there was an episode of "Crunchyroll in Tokyo" that was all about WUG.

Fun note: at one of the ACen panels, I asked Yamatan if they hoped to improve the shabby treatment of idols by dramatizing, for example, the no-boyfriends rule, and he did say that they wouldn't stop any of the WUGs from having boyfriends. The members of the group have also branched out into other projects: Minami, for example, voices one of the lead characters on this season's Schwarzesmarken.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
@kevinx95 Yep, you can check the ANN encyclopedia. And this Fandom Post thread mentions that they are streaming the Home Video version on Hulu, rather than the broadcast version, so that's a good sign for us. No actual confirmation from Sentai that I've seen so far though. Confused

invalidname wrote:
Fun note: at one of the ACen panels, I asked Yamatan if they hoped to improve the shabby treatment of idols by dramatizing, for example, the no-boyfriends rule, and he did say that they wouldn't stop any of the WUGs from having boyfriends. The members of the group have also branched out into other projects: Minami, for example, voices one of the lead characters on this season's Schwarzesmarken.

That's extremely cool! And the kind of thing that I want to see more of from idol culture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1